Friday 30 January 2009

Fridge Filter - 4396508, refrigerator water filters


On this site it says they are tested for ANSI/NSF 42 AND 53, however, when I received the filters, the box only claims tested for standard 42. This is important because standard 53 is for the reduction of Lead, Mercury, Benzene, p-Dichlorobenzene,Toxaphene and Carbofuran. You might not have these elements in your water, but you should know what you're paying for! Water Sentinel WSW-1 Replacement Fridge Filter, 3-Pack

I have a WSW-1 and the end blew off and started shooting water out the front of the refrigerator and all over the floor. Fortunately we were in the next room when it happened. If we had been away it could have caused thousands of dollars of water damage. In the future I will spend a little more money and get the Kenmore brand filters.

I will reserve judgment on this filter for a few months. I was disappointed by a couple of things. It is NOT "NSF" rated. Also, there is a petroleum jelly-type lubricant that must be smeared around the ill fitting o-rings to ensure a leak-free seal. Hullo ???? I never had to do anything like this with a "name brand" water filter. If this thing leaks, I will be most upset. Will keep an eye on it for a while.



In the future I am likely to go back to the name brands.

I sent the following message to Water Sentinel on 11/30/10 and have not received a response as of 12/16/10. Will sell my "inventory" at a steep discount! :)



The other afternoon the water filter in my KitchenAid refrigerator blew up for no apparent reason. See attached photo. Fortunately I was nearby and able to shut off the water quickly and avoid any major damage, but if I was at work and it pumped water into my house for even a few hours, or traveling for two weeks at a time it could have easily done tens of thousands of damage to my home. I now have four filters left from a six-pack that was purchased recently. Are these filters any good, or should they be tossed and replaced with something of better quality? What suggestions do you have for avoiding this problem in the future, or do we have to shut off the water every time we leave the house?

This filter is not a direct replacement for the Whirlpool filter. It is not NSF rated, and has only one filtration element, not the three in the factory filter. They should have made this clear that it was not a replacement, but a less-effective substitute. Perhaps I should have realized this given the price was much less than a true replacement.

This item is made by Water Sentinel. But, if you search "Whirlpool 4396508", the result you get is shown as "3 Pack Whirlpool 4396508 Replacement Filter by Water Sentinel by Whirlpool". The extension of "BY WHIRLPOOL" drops only when you click that link and get to the page of product. And there, it shows a picture of Whirlpool filter, NOT a WATER SENTINEL filter.

I have ordered these filters many times and have had no problems with the Water Sense brand. We have not noticed any difference in taste, filtration or duration. If the filter is not installed correctly (1/4 turn ONLY) the pressure will push (explode?) the filter out and water will run out. - Whirlpool Water Filter - Water Filter - 4396508 - Refrigerator Water Filters'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information