Tuesday 27 January 2009

Compact Led Flashlight - led flashlight, bright


I don't usually write reviews for these things but I will on this one...



BIG NOTE: The flashlight has no cut off in the charger... it states this in the directions... "Charge 3-5 hours but do not leave on the charger more than 6 hours" which may be great if you want to sit around and wait on it with an egg timer... but personally I like to set my light on the charger overnight and grab it when I wake up and get ready for work... There is no indication of fully charged either...



BIG NOTE 2: The lens is made out of a cheap feeling THIN piece of plastic and will likely melt from heat with any type of semi-extended use... my lens came all scratched up too...



First thing I noticed was that on the side of the flashlight it says "GUARDEDOG" and on the other "FLASHLIGHT"... I thought this was a "Guard Dog"... and does it really need to state that its a flashlight? I think we can figure it out... There is a compass in the tailcap which was about 45 degrees off... west was reading north...



Besides the cosmetics... If the head gets more than about 1/8 of a turn lose the light cuts out... the manual states it has a momentary operation which it kind of might but the switch is so cheap feeling I wouldn't use the momentary function. There is also a little rubber cover that covers the charging port on the flashlight. This doesn't stay in and if I wasn't returning the light I would be tempted to take this completely off and take my chances.



As far as brightness... I seriously doubt this thing is 240 lumens... I have a 210 lumen flashlight I bought on Amazon (Nu-Flare 77R92L) which is MUCH brighter than this light and much sturdier (although it doesn't have the strobe function and it is not rechargeable)



The only PLUSES for this light are that it came with a HOME and a CAR charger (AC and a DC) which can charge the light directly and it came with a little charging cradle which you can charge the special battery pack with either the ac or dc charger without it being in the flashlight. If you could order a couple of those battery packs to have on hand with the light it could be a nice feature. But all in all the cons outweigh the pros and the light is being returned to amazon.

A well known sportsmans supply store has the Guard Dog 240 on "sale" for $49.95 plus $10 +/- shipping. I got it at Amazon for $29.95 including shipping!The light is better than I thought it might be; It's pretty well made and has a smooth and VERY bright beam, plus it has a lower power beam and a strobe beam as well.It's not quite the quality of my Surefire or Stream Light lights, but a good rechargeable flashlight for 30 bucks it definitely is. The only thing not good, is that there is no mention of who makes it or where they are.

First, the obvious, not as bright as expected. (Owned similar lumin torches previously.) This is however not too concerning, it does fairly light the drying sheds on my rounds. (Night guard at a lumberyard.)



The compass is of decent quality, but like those who reviewed before me, fell off within two days of using it, easily slipped back in and held since then, it may simply be flawed in insertion, I suggest Gorilla gluing the thing in immediately upon receiving.



As for parts, the chargers are cheap Chinese junk, I am hoping replaceable, otherwise I'll be returning the whole thing. The parts are also clunky and a nuisance, the nice box it comes in, is a space waster, and connection points for chargers are weak at best.



The three settings, are highly indistinguishable, apart from off, and emergency strobe, the only difference, is an intensity increase/decrease of about 2-5%.



Primary Concern: This is NOT a tactical light, I would classify this as a survival light, the "tactical" end is good for as much as breaking glass, and likely would not do much to reinforced windshields on cars. The overall strength of the parts and materials is a concern in durability, club someone with it instead of a baton, and say goodbye to your torch.



As for positives, decent size, piercing beam, cheap.





Final Conclusion: Not worth the purchase, I noticed 60 dollar higher lumins as well, choose one of those, this one, unless your real tight on cash, is more trouble than it's worth.

The compass is an excuse for not having a switch at the end. The light is not waterproof, and the approach to the tiny plug for the DC charger is a joke. That plug will not stay in the hole. Poorly designed and not worth even this discounted price. A previous review references a light from a well known sportsman's outlet for $49.95. We have one of those, and it is FAR superior to this light.

What an amazing flashlight!!!

I originally purchased this flashlight because of the rechargeable feature, but I got a lot more than what I asked for. Here's what I noticed:



1. Upon getting the flashlight, I noticed it came in a very nice magnetic flip-top box. The reason I particularly like this, as opposed to heat-sealed packaging, is because it's actually reusable. I has a small compartment each component and makes it easy to transport all the accessories that the flashlight comes with.



2. The body is strong and sturdy. It has a very "expensive" feel to it and it feels very nice in my hands.



3. The wrist strap is actually practical! Some straps seem to be meant for people with miniature hands but this one actually makes it feasible to use around my hands and wrist.



4. The end cap is VERY strong. They said it has a glass breaker or emergency end, and I can certainly see that. In fact, the end cap alone can hurt someone in case you are getting robbed.



5. The light is extremely bright and blinding. The high, low, strobe feature make it extra useful.



6. It comes with a CAR CHARGER? I'll certainly never run low on battery!



7. Yes, the compass is not so great. But just simply ignore it, it won't kill you I promise.



8. $30, including shipping, for all this? A must have!



Overall, the best flashlight in my household. I'll be buying 2 more of these for a couple family members. - Led Flashlight - Tactical - Bright - Flashlight'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information