Tuesday 27 January 2009

Packaging Tape - packaging tape, scotch


Before using this tape, I was using the "Packaging" tape variety. I chanced upon this type when I ran out of tape one day and had to grab one at the local supermarket. I like this one better after using it. On the paper core of this "moving" tape, the words "mailing and storage" are printed. I guess "moving and storage" and "mailing and storage" both refer to the same tape. The reason this tape is better is because it sticks to mailing boxes better than the "packaging" tape, which sometimes lifts itself off the cardboard box. I had to apply another layer of that tape at 90 degrees sometimes to the first layer to make sure it sticks. The "packaging" tape seems to stick better to tape than to boxes. This tape is also thinner, and clearer, so that it weighs less and I can tape over the address label without obscuring it. The lighter weight makes a difference because if you are just 0.1 ounce over the limit of, say, one pound or two pounds, you need to pay the higher postage rate of the next weight limit. The difference can be as high as 2-3 dollars or about the same price as a 54 yard roll of this tape! Highly recommended! Scotch Long Lasting Moving & Storage Packaging Tape, 1.88 Inches x 54.6 Yards, 4 Rolls (3650-4)

I've used a lot of packing tape over the years and I am dissatisfied with this brand. Although the tape is strong it doesn't stick to the boxes very well. I've come back to boxes that I back a few hours ago to find the tape has peeled right off.

This is a decent tape but not as good as the "Packaging" type. The Packaging type is thicker and more resistant than the Mail and Storage type. This tape feels somewhat cheap and prompts me to double tape everything.

I have used this packaging tape for years without problem. I have found it to be the best tape for general packaging and you can rely on it to get your package delivered in one piece. It is very strong and durable and it clear so it looks nice. It works very well in a tape dispenser.

I bought this tape as I am moving. It's held up very well.



Pros:

-Sticks very well to cardboard boxes

-Price on Amazon is great

-Don't need to apply multiple layers to make it stick



Cons:

-Would be nice to have a dispenser come with it (but you buy one separately if it's important)

What can I say about Scotch Brand tape? It is and always has been the best tape company for a long, long time. Of course, this product is no different than all the other fine products that Scotch makes. I use a ton of packaging tape when shipping my eBay items and Scotch brand is always the sturdiest and easiest to work with. Yes, it is a little more expensive but it is worth it in the long run. There is never a problem with 'losing' the beginning of the tape on the roll and then wasting a bunch of it to get it started again. I highly recommend this product and the company that sells it. It's the best.

It's a little strange writing a review about Scotch Packaging Tape. What's to say? I always wish people would include the price they paid so I can compare current to past price - so I paid $10.99 for the 4 roll package. It comes off the roll cleanly instead of gumming up and making it hard to get the tape off the roll as other brands have done - even when a roll is found in the back of a drawer years later. The tape is hardy and doesn't break unless I cut it. I'd rather have a strong tape I have to hunt down a knife or scissors for than one that tears using hands. I've applied it to heavy moving boxes and never had the tape fail even after being on the moving box for years - both top and bottom of boxes stay safely sealed. The tape never fails to stick to any surface I've applied it to including cardboard, KitchenAid plastic bins, large envelopes, mending various plastic items, and so much more.

This is the first time I am disappointed in Scotch tape, but when I peel it off to start using it the tape is splitting. Very frustrating. This is why I usually pay extra for Scotch brand, to avoid that problem, but this particular tape is disappointing. In the future I will stick to their mailing tape. - Boxes - 3m - Packaging Tape - Scotch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information