Tuesday 27 January 2009

Finish Nailer - senco, oil free


I bought one of these guns recently as a replacement for another nailer. I put in thousands of feet of crown moulding every month and have yet to have any sort of misfire or double nailing. It also sets the head of the nail comfortably below the surface each and every time. ...Yet another great SENCO tool! Senco FinishPro 42XP 15 Gauge 1-1/4-Inch to 2-1/2-Inch Finish Nailer with Case

I am a pro contractor who builds fine homes in the Lake Tahoe area.

Senco sets the standard by which all other nailers are rated. I have the new FP41XP and I love it. My old SFN40 is still going strong after about 10 years of heavy use. I had a Bostich (Stanley ) finish nailer before but I found it underpowered compared to the Senco. The nails used for the Bostich are inferior too. The so called galvinized 16Ga Bostich nails rusted easy. Senco nails are the best quality. The galvinized nails look like stainless and will not rust. The tip is easy to un jam if you hit something hard and bend a nail. The nailer has enough power to easily set a nail into 5/4 white oak. The gutless Bostich could not set a nail into 5/4 white oak.

This is a great nailer. It is both smaller and lighter than the SFN40 which is (was) the standard by which all other finish nailers are compared. One outstanding feature of this tool is that it is very quiet, while still able to drive and set 2.5" nails with ease. The depth adjustment and exhaust vent settings work just like other SENCO units, so no complaints there. You cannot go wrong with this unit.

It took a little sorting out to realize that this nailer is Senco's primo finish nailer. We have had a FSN30 on the job, and I was tired of having air shot into my face so I purchased this simply for the feature of an adjustable air deflector. It was worth the purchase! The FP41XP has more going for it than that-- more power, holds both more and longer nails and they load and unload MUCH MUCH easier. The spring that puts tension on the nail strip to feed nails hasn't been sticking as the FSN30's did. Has a good grip and feel, shoots accurately, easy to adjust depth of nail set, and haven't had a jambed nail to clear yet after several weeks of near-constant use, nor a miss-fire. Not all Senco nailers are created equal, and this is one of the best ones I have used.

I own quite a few nailers, and in my opinion this is really a top-of-the-line nailer. The oil-free design is great, it has a lot of power, and is light and convenient to use. This nailer has never jammed on me, but removing a jam is easy thanks to the flip-open front. Setting the nail depth is also easy.



One thing to note is the nails are specific to this gun, so make sure you can get nails at a price that's affordable to you. Another is if you set a nail too deeply you'll notice an elongated depression where the drive pin kissed the wood. I suppose another thing to keep an eye on is your supply of nails, as you go through a clip rather quickly due to the ease of use of this gun.



Summary: The nailer costs a bit more than others and is well worth it.

I have used this for finger jointed crown, finished 2x fir, and tacking up pre-hung doors. It sets doors like a champ. Just don't rely on the nails to hold up over time; do the screw in the hinge trick and you are good to go. Love the feel and balance to it, love the nail loading style and the impressive power it has.

I have been considering this Senco gun. This spring, Senco filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and sold off almost all of it's assets. My local tool repair facility told me they are having a very tough time getting parts now and was not confident about the future. Too bad , they made good tools. So just beware. If you purchase a Senco there's no assurance that parts will be available. Many of the more consumer-oriented and Chineese/Taiwanese import brands have very short-lived parts availability. They are meant to be used by homeowners until they break then thrown in landfills. It remains to be seen what happens to Senco long-term. If anyone has updated info, please respond to this.

There is not alot to a finish nailer. I want it to cositently sink nails at the proper adjusted depth, be easy to clear if it jams( in about 100,000 nails this has jammed three times, all by hitting a hidden drywall screw) which is absoutely amazing. I would think its about ready for a service but it still works well so i keep firing away. Oh and i also want it to feel good in my hand and fire smoothly. Also adjustable exhaust is nice. This does all of the above so it wins iv used others and this feels the best and fires the smoothest.

I've wanted a finish nailer for years and finally got the Senco FP41XP. I just use it around the home and farm, and I've found that it works fine with an air bottle for a quick repair out in the back 40. I designed and built some Craftsman style lighting fixtures out of redwood sticks, basically, and the only way I could assemble it without splitting was with the Senco. The nails seem a bit expensive, but it's very easy and convenient to change sizes back and forth, no tools or adjustments required. Depth of seating is very consistent in different materials...surprisingly so, to me at least. It speeds projects up more than I would have thought - since I do most projects without a helper, I can hold the work randomly in place with one hand and "bam" it's fastened. There's no need to position and clamp for each fastening operation. Also, if you drive a few nails for just a temporary holding operation, it's easy enough to pry the fixture apart when needed, with only minimal holes in the work. - Nail Gun - Oil Free - Senco - Best Finish Nailer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • senco
  • ,
  • nail gun
  • ,
  • best finish nailer
  • ,
  • oil free