Thursday 29 January 2009

Ipod Accessories - iphone fm transmitter, fm transmitter


I bought this iTrip product for use with an iPhone 3GS. I am familiar with the limitations of FM transmitters and have purchased various models over the years including Griffin iTrip predescessors and have had decent success (particular units like Griffin that allow you to set the FM station to below 88.1 using Europe settings).



This unit is seriously flawed. First of all, even though it indicates that it is iPhone (3G/3GS) compatible, the iPhone displays an error message that the iTrip is not compatible with the iPhone. Apparently this is due to lack of certification from Apple.



Ignoring this problem, I was unable to get the FM transmitter to work on a clear station. The unit charges the iPhone fine. I tried several station, including 87.9, several cars, and several devices (iTouch, old iPod), etc. I contacted Griffin and they sent me a replacement unit.



The replacement unit faired a little better. I was able to get it to work in one car (Toyota) after removing/inserting the power plug multiple times but not in other cars (BMW, Acura). I noticed with the BMW I was finally able to get the transmitter to work with much noise, but only in the upper FM dial, e.g., 104.5 FM.



The support group at Griffin was very polite and responsive but told me that they don't make the transmitters as powerful as their older models due to FCC limitations in the last four years. They offered to send me yet another unit but I did not see the point. Unfortunately for me, since I tried to deal with Griffin directly, I exceeded the Amazon 30 day return window (this was a gift that I gave to someone else).



There is also an iPhone application for this iTrip but it has little value.



While the unit appears to be nice for iPhone (including the ability to advance through a playlist from the iTrip without turning on the iPhone), it does not work and should be avoided.



UPDATE. Griffin sent me a 3rd unit. I was unable to get any reception with it. In the meanwhile, I purchased an FM transmitter/charger from Grantwood Technology and highly recommend it. Reception is great with no static and unit costs less than the iTrip Griffin iTrip Auto for iPhone and iPod 4G (1 Amp Rating)

I just bought this at best buy... I was too impatient to wait to get it in the mail. So yes I paid the extra 25 buck ...oh well..



I have a 2008 VW Jetta with a poop iPod dock and no aux and an iPhone 4. So without dropping $500 at Das Auto for a dock that isn't known for excellence I opted for the sub par (but better than nothing) FM transmitter route.



And it works! a little fuzz when its quiet but nothing unbearable. and way cheaper that PIXAMAG or replacing the HU. it charges and i can controll my ipod like i did in my 96 jeep via the tape deck



After reading alot of the reviews I think people are misinterpreting the tech here... ITs AN FM TRANSMITTER..!! It will have static and it will suck more it you live in a large city where empty FM bandwidth is limited



Bottom line



It sounds waaaay better than this type of tech did 10 years ago even 5 years ago



If you don't want to hassle with going to a dealer or self installing something that might screw with your cars computer...get it

My first one of these lasted about 3 months before the screen went completely out and stopped working. Even when it did I received lots of interference and found limited channels it could operate on without static.



I contacted Griffin and their customer service was about standard. They sent me a new one and I returned the broken one.



This one lasted about another 3 months and now will only tune up to 88.9. Without many channels to choose from I couldn't find a station to set it to without getting significant static.



I'm currently contacting the company again for a refund or return but the hassle isn't worth it. With a life of only 3 months, spend your money elsewhere.

Bottom line, this is a piece of junk. The scan features is useless as it will choose frequencies that are occupied by stations. When you manually tune the unit to a dead area on the dial there is so much fuzz only songs that are loud will be enjoyable. All quite songs are very static saturated. Another bad quality is the unit restricts the volume output of you iPod allowing only about half volume.

It is a convinient device to make it possible to listen to your audio files in iPhone through the speakers of your car. It works as asvertised and specially if you are out of town you would not hear the occasional interference from radio stations in nearby frequencies.

Very very bad to griffin technology to product this item

It's really bad!! FM transmitter is not working

Even not charge my Iphone 4 it show me this error " this can't fit with your device"

Don't west your money on this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Iphone Fm Transmitter - Fm Transmitter - Griffin - Ipod Fm Transmitter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information