Friday 27 February 2009

Airport - router, mac


I've been using Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b router for few years now. Other than somewhat short range, it has never let me down. After looking at cheaper alternatives, I bought the AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS) as my second WiFi router.Pros:- Looks really really really cute... and small, too- Better signal strength than Linksys BEFW11S4- Innovative USB printer support- Superb AirPort Admin Utility and tight Mac OS X integration- Bridging with other WiFi station via WDS (for expanding the range)- Wall mountable (comes with wall mounting kit)- AOL and RADIUS server supportCons:- Susceptible to signal loss (i.e., when using the microwave oven)- Pricier than most 802.11g router- No web-based configuration interface- Only 1 LAN portWhen you run the AirPort Admin Utility for the first time, it might detect an older firmware and proceed to upgrade itself automatically (if you let it, of course). The new firmware (5.0.4 as I write this) fixes WiFi connection drop issue. For some strange reason, the problem persisted until I manually downloaded and uploaded the latest firmware. I've tinkered with the channel selection to get the optimum results. Running the microwave oven may cause WiFi connection to drop still, however.The AirPort Admin Utility is a pleasure to use, which is also full of features. Among the options are choosing among 11 WiFi channels; operating in 802.11b, 802.11g or mix mode; setting the transmission power from 10 to 100%; setting up Internet via DHCP, static IP, PPPoE, or AOL DSL; and mapping ports. You can improve security via 40-bit or 128-bit WEP, create a closed network by hiding SID (Station ID), and add access control (MAC address filtering).By the way, if you are running Windows, go to Apple's web site and download the AirPort Admin Utility for Windows. It does not specify AEBS, but trust me... it works.Oh, did I mention how beautiful AEBS is? I tucked my ugly Linksys where no one can see (which probably hinders WiFi broadcast), but not so with AEBS. Located on the front are beautiful metallic Apple logo and three graphite status indicators (WiFi, power, and Ethernet). Located on the rear are reset button, 100/10BASE-T WAN port, 100/10BASE-T LAN port, USB printer port, and AC power adapter port (very long power cable is included). If you need more than one LAN port, you will need to mate AEBS with an Ethernet hub.The signal level's stronger than Linksys BEFW11S4. I get full signal virtually everywhere in my apartment, including those where Linksys frequently gave up. If you need greater range (larger house), consider bridging ABES with another ABES via built-in WDS support (Wireless Distribution System) or purchase ABES with Modem and Antenna Port (and one of few external ABES antennas available).Finally, I must mention its built-in USB printer port. Hookup one of many supported printers via USB and you will be able to print wirelessly via Mac OS X's Rendezvous feature. Neat! Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station - Wireless access point - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet - 802.11b/g

On the plus side:- This is an absolutely beautiful piece of equipment. Stylish, not too large, wall-mountable. Long electric cord to reach an outlet far away.- Seems to be durable and not flimsy.- Provides an extremely fast internet connection (compared to some other routers I've used).- Was a piece of cake to set up using the AirPort Setup Assistant.- Works with both Mac and PC, although I'm constantly having a bit of trouble configuring my PC to work with it.- Wireless printing - fantastic idea if your printer can't be right next to your computer, or you don't want yet another USB cord plugged into your computer. See a note in the "minus side" part.- Very secure. You can do WEP encryption, or (better yet) create a closed network, specifying the Ethernet ID of each specific computer that can join. No one will be able to steal your modem's bandwidth without knowing your base station's password!- So far I've been able to resolve any problems by myself after consulting the manual or support websites - there is nothing I hate more than calling technical support and being asked "is the base station plugged into the outlet?" as the first question.On the minus side:- Let's face it, you can buy a regular 802.11g wireless router for way cheaper. I would have never splurged on this item myself (it was a gift). Linksys is always a reliable bet, although I haven't used their 802.11g wireless router.- Printing through the wireless USB connection is very slow. Often the base station is connected perfectly fine, but forgets that there's a printer attached! I have had to restart the base station in order for it to see the printer again.- Often my computer no longer sees the base station. I know this is not my computer's fault because it still sees my neighbor's wireless network. Usually I just restart the base station, and then it's detected again. About once a month I have to do a "hard restart" erasing all the settings for the base station to be recognized again. Very troubling.The bottom line, as I see it: if I bought this item with my own money, I would have already returned it. It is three times the price of a PC-based wireless router, so I expect the base station to work 3 times more reliably. That has not been the case. Don't let its stylish appearance fool you - test it out for yourself. - Airport - Mac - Router - Wireless'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information