Saturday 28 February 2009

Health Monitors - exercise, fitness


After using the Oregon Scientific pedometer with pulse meter (disaster - clip broke in 90 days, unit rendered useless) - I decided to go for a more utilitarian unit. Other than the batteries' demise, this unit has been quite usefull. The clip is stronger than my previous model; and testing with a 1 mile tracks shows the unit is off about 2.5%, which is not bad.While a little sparse on features, it gives you what you basically need; # of steps; distance; # of calories expended. If you are looking for basic, good value, this could be your winner. Omron HJ-105 Pedometer with Calorie Counter

I have had this Pedometer for over 6 months and have had no problems.



When I bought the pedometer I was starting a personal program to help me get into better shape. The pedometer was easy to configure to match my step size and the built in clock was convenient. Within about 10-15 minutes I was out walking and it was measuring distance and number of steps.



The Pedometer comes with instructions for setting your step size so that it measures correctly when you walk. The price has stayed very consistent, so don't look for it to go down.



Before purchasing you might consider that McDonalds recently was running a promotion to encourage people to purchase their healthier meals. They had adult happy meals that included healthy items and came with a pedometer. Also, some local stores (such as Walmart) might have pedometers for less than the price for this one. I can't speak to the durability of those items and considering my sucess with the Omron Pedometer I might just spend a few more dollars to get something that I know is a good product.

After having three $20 Sportline pedometers break on me (in various ways) in less than two weeks each, I found the Omron in a Kaiser Permanente pharmacy (for more than Amazon charges). After a month, I'm delighted with it. For one thing, it hasn't broken. It measures steps, aerobic steps, distance traveled, and calories burned. There's a + and - adjustment that lets you fine-tune the sensitivity. It resets itself to zero at midnight, and keeps a 7-day memory of all your data. I consider it well worth the money.

It is so rare to find consumer electronics where the manufacturer takes pains with every little detail, that I was pleasantly surprised by this pedometer. At the price, it is a minor work of genius.



First off, the thing actually works, which right away puts it in the top 10% of pedometers. The casing is lightweight and attractive, with a secure clip.



You must take a few minutes to set it up, but the task is much simplified by a well-written, thorough, and easy-to-follow owner's manual.



First, you set the clock. The only thing the clock really does is to reset the device at midnight every day.



Second, you set your weight. This enables it to calculate calorie expenditures.



Third, you set your "stride length", which enables it to calculate distance traveled from the number of steps.



Finally, you clip it on, take 100 or 200 steps, and then check it for accuracy. If the number of steps recorded is not the same as the steps taken, there is a sensitivity setting you can adjust.



There are four screens you can view in succession by pressing a button: Total steps taken, total mileage walked, total "aerobic" mileage walked and the time it took, and total calories expended by walking for the day. I haven't taken pains to assess its accuracy, other than the steps counted, because I don't really care if it records 2 miles when I've walked 2.03. It is certainly close enough to precise measurement for my taste.



The aeorbic steps feature is nice -- you can wear it all day, and if you take an "exercise walk" you don't have to reset it.



I'm delighted with my purchase.

The Omron HJ-105 Pedometer is a marvel of modern technology. Once properly set and calibrated, it will give you accurate readings for your steps, aerobic steps, calories and miles on a daily basis with a seven-day memory. It is easy to set, simple to read and not encumbered by unnecessary features. True, this is a basic model, but I certainly don't mind paying a small sum for an instrument devoid of frills but which does the job. I simply do not need the pedometer to "talk" to me for an additional 20 or 30 bucks. If you're looking for an honest, well-made and designed pedometer, this one may be just right for you.

This product has a very "toy like" feel. The case is flimsy, the buttons feel funny, just toy-like. It only works when positioned horizontally on

your belt. Seems to work OK, but don't dare drop it or it'll break. The light plastic case has a heavy metal weight glued inside.



Why not spend $8 more for the superb Omron HJ-112? The HJ-112 has dual pendulums inside so it counts accurately whether on your belt or in your pocket. And it's built like a tank.

It works great so far. I especially like the aerobic count feature. It keeps track of aerobic steps separate from those steps that are taken in just casually walking around from room to room or other short distances. It seems pretty accurate. - Weight Loss - Walking - Exercise - Fitness'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • exercise
  • ,
  • fitness
  • ,
  • weight loss
  • ,
  • walking