Friday 27 February 2009

Panasonic Cordless Phone - answering machine, dect 6


When researching our next cordless, expandable phone system, I found that AT&T and Panasonic phones were getting the best reviews. My requirements were as follows:



1. Phone system must not interfere with my wireless network;

2. Phone base must be wall mountable;

3. Phone base must have an answering machine that would also provide an audible message alert (and a message count would also be nice);

4. Speakerphone on the handsets and base;

5. A shared, central phone book.

6. A Voicemail indicator (for phone company/VOIP voicemail);

7. A lighted number pad.



I spend about 3 weeks researching over 30 models and browsing manuals. I originally was going for a 5.8GhZ AT&T model (#E5924) that I later found was also operating on a 2.4GhZ frequency that may have interfered with my wireless network, as my current 2.4GhZ cordless does (it slightly impairs my wireless network speed). So, I scratched that model, and all the 5.8GhZ category, and decided to find a Dect 6.0 just to avoid any potential problems.



Very feature-rich were nearly all of the Panasonic models, with Talking Caller ID and ringer ID. But, how they can advertise as wall-mountable I don't know. I checked the manuals for the models I was most interested in, and every single model mounted like a shelf. Very unappealing. And none had an audible message alert. Panasonic phones mostly have a blinking light to inform you of messages. I had an older Panasonic model years ago and always missed messages because of the lack of an audible alert. This combined with the ugly wall-mounting made me have to scratch Panasonic off of my list. Shame, because I really liked the features (Talking Caller ID, Ringer ID, Light ID, Caller ID Block).



I found many reviews touting the AT&T SL82418 Dect 6.0 system. Apparently Consumer Reports had highly rated this model and everyone ran out to buy it. It's wall-mountability was acceptable (still not flat on the wall, but not overly extending like the shelf-like Panasonics). It's features satisfied all of my requirements (though it did not have the bells and whistles of the Panasonics, which I still had on my mind). But -- and this may seem silly -- I found the phone system itself ugly. Silver and gray with black backs. Way too much going on.



Instead of looking new, to me they looked gaudy and old-fashioned. The phones themselves looked sleek and stream-lined, but AT&T's choice of using more than 1 color on the front just ruined it (in my opinion). Amazon informed me there was a newer model out, the CL82409, which was far more attractive to me. Simple silver handsets with black backs. Base is simple silver and black also. LCD screens and back light is orangey instead of blue. I was put off by the lack of reviews on the newer model, but when I checked the manuals, found very little difference between it and the previous SL82418 model, except:



1. No headset jack;

2. You CAN check the ans. machine messages from the handsets (cannot do this on the SL82418.

3. The base does not mount as flat and is a little shorter/more compact.



So, I canceled my order for the SL82518 (a five handset system instead of 4 handsets) and placed an order for the CL82509 system. Set up was simple (after 16 hour charging).



Pros:



*I use Vonage (disconnected the incoming Telco lines and have Vonage back-fed through every phone jack in the house) and the sound is crystal clear with these phones.



*You can check the caller id log when the phone is in use (not all phone systems allow this), and the display shows the time and date always (also a rarity).



*You can listen to the answering machine messages from any handset even when the phone is in use.



*The numbers are etched through the silver on the handset buttons, and the amber light shines through them clearly. Nice for nighttime dialing;



*No interference from the microwave, or network, and all phones crystal clear from the basement to the 2nd floor.



*Very easy to save caller id entries into the shared phone book. Saves the last 50 caller id entries and 50 phone book entries.



*I have the answering machine set to 4 rings, and if I don't answer the caller ID or the phone is busy, my Vonage voice mail will take the

message, after which the Voicemail LCD lights up on the base and there is an indicator on the handset LCD.



*When the answering machine takes a message, there is an audible beep every so often that reminds you of the message (you can disable the audible alert if this bothers you -- again, I find this useful and necessary) and the base will show you how many messages you have.



*Easy to do a three-way call using the flash button.



*Intercom is easy.



*Handset speakers are nice and clear with good volume;



*Handset ringers are nice and loud;



*This system is expandable up to 12 handsets, and the handsets themselves are decently priced.



Cons:



*No headset jack;



*No speakerphone in base (can only hear incoming messages and answering machine messages);



*Wall-mounting is not flat to the wall, extends approximately 4 inches at the bottom. Not a big deal if you have it mounted where no one will walk into it.



*Can not assign ring tones to names in your directory. Even my old Radio Shack did that. I could almost stop thinking about the Panasonics' Talking Caller ID if I were at least able to assign ring tones to certain names so I'd know who it was calling by the ring tone.



*Handsets feel light to me. That may be a Pro in time but still have to get used to it.



All-in-all, minor quibbles. I would recommend this system, unless you don't care about the audible message alert and/or wall mounting, in which case I'd try a Panasonic for the neat features (Talking Caller ID, etc.).



Whatever you decide, make sure you Google the manual before buying. I found many websites gave either incorrect information regarding features or left out key features entirely. AT&T DECT 6.0 Black/Silver Digital 4-Handset Answering System (CL82409) - Dect Cordless Phone - Dect 6 - Answering Machine - Cordless Phone'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information