Monday 23 February 2009

Highly Recommended - 5-star, multi-region


My wife and I just love the British Dramas, Comedy and Movies and purchase them from Amazon.co.uk. The DVDs will not play on the American "region" DVD players so it pays to get one that is Multi-Regional and this Philips player is perfect for that. We own two other Philips Multi-Region DVD players and needed another for a spare bedroom setup. Since we know how good the Philips brand is from our previous purchases, the only decision was which Philips would we get. The main reason that we chose this one was the price. This player is outstanding. Set-up was easy and all of our European DVDs play perfectly, without any problems what-so-ever. I highly recommend this Philips DVD player for anyone that is looking for a great player at a really great price. Philips DVP 3560 - Multi Region 1080p Up-Converting All Region Free DVD Player with HDMI and Multimedia DiVX

I purchased this for a friend who is a British ExPat. She had family PAL DVDs that she couldn't play and that is the reason I purchased this product. It was easy to set up and gives an excellent picture plus the price was very reasonable. I would highly recommend this DVD Player to anyone who would like to play both PAL/NTSC on the same machine. No special TV is required.

My wife is Australian and has many Region 4 DVDs that we'd like to be able to play. This was a great DVD player for the price and has a great picture.



Tonight we decided to watch some episodes from two separate seasons of one of her favorite shows, both Region 4 PAL. One season plays fine, the other gives us the message "Wrong Region".



How can an "All-region" DVD player even be PROGRAMMED with such a message? Currently looking for either instructions from Philips that address this issue or a hack around it.



Will update my review if I find one.

I bought this DVD player as I moved to America from Ireland bringing all my DVDs with me. They wouldn't play on any old DVD player so I bought this one & I've been enjoying my movies again ever since. It is exactly what it says it is & plays all my fav's so I'm one happy customer!

I got this DVD player on a black Friday deal.



For the price I was very excited about it. It works great most the time. The up-convert is clearly visible and makes a big difference.



The only problem is that quite often (about 30% of the time) when I stop playing a movie (I only hit stop once) the DVD player will say Press Play to Resume, but when I do it starts over.



The first couple times this happened I thought I messed up. Now I know it's the player.



Even with this issue it's a good product that I got for a great price.



In retrospect, I probably should have purchased a Blue Ray player for $20 more. (since they automatically up-convert DVDs)



Still, I'm fairly happy with my player and would recommend it to people who NEVER intend to make the switch to Blue Ray.

I originally made the mistake of purchasing the flimsy Samsung region-free player, which didn't even play the DVDs I tested. I returned it and decided to try the Philips.



Yes! It worked, and though the booklet said it only played Region 3 (Asia) discs, I tested my region 4s (Australia) and my 1s and was very happy to see they all played.



The quality isn't smashing, however. To be honest I have a Region 1 player that plays all my American films and I'm quite happy with having two players. The Philips is small and light, and fits on top of my first player just fine. I have to switch cables every so often, but it's not a problem.



I recommend the Philips if you just want to watch your collection of other region discs. It's not the best if you want high quality. Example: I tested my Avatar DVD on the Philips, and everyone knows how blue that movie is. On the Philips, not so blue. So beware if you're looking for just one player to satisfy your needs. I have a Toshiba DVD/VHS player that I use for my American movies, so check that one out too if you want just a Region 1 player.



I do recommend the Philips, but be warned, the quality isn't so hot. Other than that, though, it does what it's supposed to do, and that's fine by me.

I bought this DVD player because I wanted to play some DVDs I had purchased in the UK. When I called Customer Service at Philips, the agent there told me that they did not make a model that supports any region other than 1 (USA) but she was wrong, this player does support region 2 (UK) and probably will play DVDs from other places in Europe. It's a sleek model, very light, and I am very satisfied. It also has a USB port so I can view pictures on the TV.

Player Growls periodically while playing a DVD. Has mechanical "Crunching" when inserting or ejecting a DVD as well as in between each command - starting program one of the DVD or when changing to item 2 on the DVD. - Multi-region - 1080i - Divx - 5-star'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information