Sunday 22 February 2009

Home Schooling


I was having a bad week. Everything I did turned to mush. I went to sharpen a pencil and my manual crank plastic pencil sharpener broke off the wall in my hand. It was a piece of junk to start with but still it was distressing. This time I found a far better selection of manual pencil sharpeners. I decided to get the metal pencil sharpener that I remembered from my parochial school days. I picked this one because it was all metal but not too expensive. When it came in the mail, I was instantly pleased. It is shiny and sturdy and does a nice job of sharpening pencils without requiring a battery or power cord. What more do I need? It is a nice trip down memory lane for me. Lots of mischief happened at the pencil sharpener in my school. And it works like a dream! Charles Leonard Inclusive Pencil Sharpener, Multi Hole, 8 Sizes, Silver, 1 per Box (89508)

This pencil sharpener works great. I was happy with the sharpener itself, but the description says that it was supposed to ship with mounting screws. It DID NOT come with mounting screws (as another commenter previously mentioned). Luckily, I had some hardware in my shop and got it mounted anyway. Not that I would send it back over some 10 cent screws, but it's the principle that matters. Other than the missing mounting screws, the product is great.

Also, FYI: The product is made in China. (I did not find the country of origin listed in the description when I bought the sharpener.)

You'd think finding a good pencil sharpener in 2011 would be a breeze. Yet I have gone through probably 10 in the last three years and none of them sharpened well. I tried cheap hand sharpeners, battery powered ones, and electric ones. They would break the lead, not sharpen evenly, or just not sharpen at all. So, I decided to go old school with a wall mounted manual pencil sharpener. This item is heavy duty and installs easily. I did switch out the screws with more durable ones. The ones it comes with are more like decorative screws and I'm sure it would have ripped out of the wall in no time. But, once the screws were switched, it installed perfectly and easily sharpens pencils to a perfect point. I'm thrilled. Who would have thought a pencil sharpener would make me so happy, but I'm just happy to have something that finally works well.

Like many others, I have a use for #2 pencils. I own a wood shop that builds guitars. Sharp pencils are a mandate for me for layout, and the mechanical ones just get broken or run out of lead always at the wrong times.

I have had little plastic sharpeners, electrics, even used my face sander a number of times. None of them did the job in my rough environment. I finally went looking and found this unit. When it came, I was absolutely, totally pleased at the results. Yes, I know it only has one sharpening wheel, but it is the traditional type of 40 years ago that has many, many blade surfaces on it. And the best part is the wheel is mounted on the pencil shaft holder so that the pencil always stays in line with the sharpening wheels. My first few through were so sharp, so nice, it was like going back to grade school. (Long, long time ago.)

It's all steel, with a steel handle. Great unit!

For the price, this is the one. Only gripe, dump the little worthless mounting screws and use something at least 3/4" long to mount it. I mounted mine to a wooden leg on one of my benches and could not be happier. You will not be dissapointed.

Probably more heavy-duty than others available, but not as heavy-duty as I thought from the pictures. Works great though and I'm sure it will last for years. It's a little difficult getting the mounting screws in because of the small base, (you have to angle them). Definitely leaves my "electric" sharpener in the dust so I'm glad that I can finally get rid of my wimpy electric one........

This is a great old fashioned pencil sharpener. Not as good as the ones in school in the old days but does a good job of sharping a variety of sizes of pencils and since it is attached to the desk or wall it is easy to find all of the time.

Having 2 small children, one starting Kindergarten a reliable and easy to use pencil sharpener is a MUST! I grew up with a heavy duty metal one in our basement and after 30+ years of use it still works like a champ.



I purchased this model because of the all steel construction and NO plastic parts that can break in the mechanism.



It works great. I'm sorry to see that it doesn't have 2 grinding gears like the older school models do, but it seems to work just fine with a little more lever turning than I recall from the double gear models.



I discarded the enclosed screws and used some beefier ones that will hold better.



I think my only two critisims of this sharpener as of now is that when mounted to a wall you can hand the shaving collector vertical (up and down) on the unit but it tends to want to twist off a bit while using it, so each time you have to snug it back in place, more of an annoyance than a flaw.



Also with the single gear grinding it tends to shave more wood off one side of the pencil than the other, which sometimes causes the lead to break on that side easier or makes it harder to write on the woodier side, but that may also be due to cheaper pencil construction these days.



Overall I'm happy with it, and I hope it holds up to the many days of school pencil sharpening to come.

Over the past few years I have bought various pencil sharpener's from Wal-Mart and the like. They all ended up in the trash. This one seems to be trustworthy just like the one's I remember from school. I have had it for around a month now and my quite destructive 7 year old son enjoy's using it, and has yet to destroy it--so I am happy.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Home Schooling Home Schooling Home Schooling