Thursday 26 February 2009

Portable Digital Tv


My old little portable TV used for emergencies "expired" in February 2009 - so I ordered one of these because they are set up for the new digital broadcasts. The first one I received didn't pick up any channels and had no sound. I figured it had to be a damaged unit, so returned it to Amazon for a replacement and the second one is working fine. Picks up most of my local channels -Some with amazing clarity and others fuzzy, but I live out in the country, so I'm okay with that since it's really just for emergencies. I'm amazed at the technology, seeing such a sharp, full color picture on that little screen. I've read from other reviews that the battery lasts about 2 hours, but hopefully that'll get us thru a storm. Comes with AC cord, detachable antenna, triple video input cable, car plug-in, remote control (including batteries) and rechargable internal battery. Note, internal battery MUST be installed before it will come on. It's got one of those tiny plug-ins like cordless phones, so make sure it's connected. Overall, I would recommend it. Haier HLT71 7-Inch Handheld LCD TV

I am really thrilled with my purchase of this Haier HLT71 7-inch, ATSC 2009-ready portable LCD TV! I have never heard of this name brand Haier, and I had heard many nightmare stories about some of the other name brands having poor pictures on these little screens, so I thought I'd give this Haier a try.



I ordered this tv directly from Amazon and it came to me from a seller on Amazon who goes by the name ANTOnline. The seller sent this perfect and fast to start with, which is always a big plus with me. When I opened the box, the set looked very sleek and light weight, just perfect! The tv I received is exactly like the picture shows in this description, black (it is the picture that has the remote control next to the tv), with really simple control buttons on the front. I then looked at the directions, but realized, I didn't need to read them at all! Everything is really obvious! The set has a little slide switch on the side to turn on the power. The antenna screws in really easy. It comes with a plug for the inside electrical outlet, and a plug for the car lighter, and a lightweight rechargeable battery! It has a little remote control which they made very easy to read! After screwing on the antenna (or you can attach your cable cord if you are using it in the house), I basically plugged it in, slid the power switch on, pressed the button to scan for setting the channels, and it does it quickly! In about 1 minute, it was set! I then tried the small battery, and it played perfectly without the electric power!



The picture is absolutely gorgeous, as it has the new atsc digital signal receiver built in! To see the local programs in digital on this little screen was fantastic! Colors are crisp, sharp and vivid, just like a big hdtv!



I have noticed that some reviews are giving this tv a low rating because it did not pick up any channels with the single rabbit ear that comes with the set. This tv picks up EVERY signal that is being broadcast in your area. Before you buy this tv, you should first go to a website called Antenna Web. On this site, you type in your address and it will show you exactly how many channels you can receive in your area and what type of antenna you will need to pick up the signals. Antenna Web said that in my area I could receive 8 signals, and the single rabbit ear that comes with this tv picked up all 8 channels. When I used a stronger antenna, I picked up 3 more channels. When I used my cable cord, I received over 60 channels, and when I used my cable cord with my box, I picked up 250 channels.



Whatever I hooked up to the coaxial input on this tv, this tv picked up! If you live in an area that receives no broadcast signals or you need a high powered antenna to pick up anything, it is not the tv's fault, but your broadcasters. So, if you want to be certain your tv is picking up the signals correctly, go to Antenna Web and check to see what channels you can get in your area and what type of antenna you need to pick up the signals. My single rabbit ear, picked up everything including the hi-def channels, and the reception was crystal clear. (Also, don't forget to go to the tv's menu, and hit the little satellite dish picture, then hit the appropriate air or cable before you scan for your channels. This way you'll be certain your tv will receive the correct signals.)



The real plus for me on this tv, is the battery, because of so many electrical outages and bad storms, this is a must have item! The battery has a life of about 2-2 1/2 hours, perfect for a few shows while waiting out bad weather, or even for entertainment when traveling. The fantastic picture really blew me away. I just love the light weight of the tv, even with the battery, it's like a feather! There is even a built in stand to put it on a table! The sound is incredible as well- two speakers and really loud! This is unheard of on these small sets! They even thought of including a plug in for headphones, if you have them (headphones are not included), for quiet listening or for travel! Whoever designed this perfect set, knew what they were doing!



I am giving this perfect little tv 5 stars for being able to see a sharp, vivid, gorgeously colored hi-def picture, and set up without reading a direction, but especially because I can play it in my house, in my car, or carry it anywhere with the rechargeable battery, all at a great price too!



UPDATE: Haier vs. Axion 7 inch portable tv's

I am posting an update for anyone who is wondering what the differences are between these two portable tv's. A friend of mine purchased the Axion, and she immediately brought it over to compare it to my Haier. Here is what I found:

RECEPTION: Antenna Web said I could receive 8 channels in my area. With the single rabbit ear antenna, Haier picked up all 8 channels. Axion picked up 7 channels, but one channel was very fuzzy. When attaching a cable cord, both sets picked up everything.

SOUND: For these small sets, the sounds were very similar, but when turning the volume louder, the Haier was louder and not as tinny sounding as the Axion.

PICTURE: Both have very nice pictures, with great color, but the Haier definitely has a more hi-def, sharper looking picture.

REMOTE CONTROL: Haier's is easier to read, larger and has volume control, where Axion's is smaller and has no volume control.

BATTERY: Haier's battery is a plug in and lasts about 2 hours before needing charging. Axion's battery is built in, cannot be removed and lasted a little less than 1 hour before needing to be charged.



Overall, the sets are very similar, my personal choice being the Haier, as I think the picture is sharper, the price is better and the battery lasts longer for my needs in bad weather. Haier also has way more picture settings and adjustments in the tv's menu, but the pictures on both these sets are so great, I've never found a need to use them. The bottom line for me is the better picture and price give the edge to Haier, since the reception on these two sets is almost identical.



UPDATE: MISSING OR NO CHANNELS AFTER DIGITAL CHANGE

This is an update for anyone who has lost channels or who has no channels after the digital change took place June 12, 2009, whether you re-scanned or not. I received this information to share with all of you from contacting the FCC, CBS, Antenna Web and Elgato Systems Technical Support.



They were all very helpful in explaining to me what exactly is going on right now, which is this: Half of the nations tv stations (which at half is 1,760 stations) are running at full power, the other half of 1,760 stations are not. Some stations are completely off the air temporarily, and are available only through cable and satellite. In most major markets some channels are still in lower frequencies which many smaller antennas will NEVER pick up except MAYBE with the highest powered amplified antenna. Digital tv was originally planned to be broadcast in UHF (digital loop antenna needed), which are the higher channels. VHF (rabbit ears), which are the lower analog channels (2-13) was supposed to be gone, but it is not. The new digital tv is being broadcast in 2 different ranges both UHF and VHF.



In other words, channels are missing, many channels are in frequencies we cannot pick up and only half of our stations are running at full power! What a mess! Antenna Web is now showing the new RF (Radio Frequency) channels in your area. Each station has 1 RF channel. If you see in your area, any low RF channels from 1-13 range, you will need a really high powered antenna to MAYBE receive your channels.



First, go to your tv to re-scan. Remove any batteries. Plug it in to the wall outlet. Find the satellite dish in your menu and set it to air (if using antenna) or cable (if cable is hooked up)and scan. You may have to do this several times and even more re-scans are needed over the next year or two!



The FCC recommends, if you are getting nothing, or very few channels, to do the following, before re-scanning:

1.) Re-orient the antenna

2.) Amplify the antenna (Not recommended by me, as these antenna's need electricity, which means it will be useless when used with the battery)

3.) Purchase a new HD antenna that will receive both VHF and UHF



When you buy an hd antenna for your set, try re-scanning it when you get home a few times to see what you get, if nothing works, return it and try another. (After re-scanning, make sure you try the tv with your battery to see what you can pick up for power outages.) Eventually one will work for your area and you'll be set for the next power outage.



With only 1/2 the stations at full power, many channels temporarily missing that went to cable and dish tv, and many running on low analog frequencies, it's amazing our antenna sets are picking up anything right now! Shop till you get a good antenna for your area, and be patient as it will be years before everything is being broadcast in higher frequency digital tv! I hope this helps everyone, as the right antenna is everything right now!



UPDATE: MORE HAIER BATTERIES ARE FINALLY HERE! (September 26, 2009)

I am so happy that Haier has finally made more batteries available to purchase here on Amazon! Just type in Haier Battery and you'll see many sellers have them advertised and the prices are very competitive, starting at $24.00 plus shipping. I received mine quickly, tested it and we got a little over 4 hours of television with 2 batteries, which will be wonderful when we need a portable for the next power outage!(Without power, I recharged them in my car.)I've had my tv for 2 years now, and it's still like new, so paying for an extra battery is definitely worth it!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Portable Digital Tv Portable Digital Tv Portable Digital Tv