Thursday 28 January 2010

Portable Projectors - led projector, compact digital projector


I'll try to keep this short and simple. If you need more images, do not hesitate to ask and I'll be more than happy to post some up.



First and foremost, in terms of build-quality, I can assure you that this device reeks of quality. The metal finish on the top really adds a nice touch of class to the production design as a whole. Having seen other projectors, this is probably the first projector I've seen that has a nice amount of metal (brushed?) in its frame. In terms of actual size, it's like about a stack of 6 ~ 7 CD jewel cases (not the slim ones but the older thick ones). As others have said that, it's surprising that they were able to get a board in there that comes with a whole host of connections (HDMI, USB, S-VIDEO, VGA [doubles as a component with the adapter provided], audio in, audio out).



Now, to boil down to the essence of this product. In terms of performance, this thing does not disappoint for an XGA-resolution projector. Furthermore, this little device scales down 1080p resolution very well while still maintaining most of the sharpness and clarity. For example, a device such as a PS3 hooked up to this device does not affect the readability of the text whatsoever (for games only). Out of the box, you'll notice that the colors might be a little too saturated. However, fear not, as the menu-settings in LG-devices are typically very generous, allowing you to tweak all sorts of aspects of the image as you desire (for me, I toned down the contrast and upped the brightness in order to get a more natural color). If you own an LG HDTV, the menu-layout will pretty much be identical with the addition of a few sections to accommodate the features of a projector.



When it comes to moving objects, I can tell you right now that this PJ really shines. If anything, people who play first-person-shooters a lot will truly appreciate the lack of ghosting and other common LCD-HDTV problems. Furthermore, watching images with fast-scenes are also extremely clear on this PJ.



Now, one issue that is common on projectors using DLP technology is the issue of rainbow colors. I can tell you right now that I was not able to see any rainbow with this projector. Everyone is different with this, so take that for what it's worth. While some have noted here that the projector has no physical spinning color wheel to reproduce the colors, it is not accurate that a lack of color wheel is the equivalent as the nonexistence of rainbow. This is simply because it still depends on how fast the LEDs are pulsing.



So right now, it seems that this thing is mighty perfect. It is not. I do have some beef with it. Firstly, I do think that the price that LG is asking for this device is on the steep side. I'm not going to lie about it. Buying this thing will cause a dent in your wallet/purse. Another issue I have with this projector is that the audio-out is funky. For whatever reason, it's almost as though the audio range is restricted. For example, connecting an external portable speaker and playing it at high volumes resulted in the portable speaker cracking, breaking up, etc. Initially, I thought the high-volume damaged the portable speaker, however I soon found out that the speaker was perfectly fine when plugged into a computer. It should be noted that I only used this PJ in HDMI-mode. I'm going to take a logical guess that the conversion electronics used in this PJ isn't very good (i.e., digital audio from HDMI to analog audio-out).



That's about some of the important things I thought was worth highlighting about the device. Having said that, for those who want to jump to the main-points, read them below.



PROS:

1)Crisp picture quality in XGA-resolution.

2)Awesome scaling in terms of handling higher resolutions like 1080p for a non-PC device.

3)**Very quiet due to having two fans (i.e., lower rpms on both fans while maintaining good air-flow). In presentation mode, it's like a soft but noticeable hum. Fans change RPMs in response to internal temperatures.

4)Build-quality.

5)Standard sized HDMI (big plus for me).

6)**Extensive configurations available for calibrators.

7)Coax port for watching television.



CONS:

1)Price. (-1 star)

2)Audio out is poor.

3)Scaling down 1080p when connected to a PC results in very blurred and almost non-readable text. You're better off running in native XGA resolution.



**:Main-selling points for me when I'm looking at this niche categories of portable LED projectors.



Summary: If you can look past the price, and you aren't a resolution fanatic, and you have your own means of getting audio out without going through the PJ, I would strongly recommend this product. Some might tell you to get other PJs which are newer, have a higher resolution, and is smaller (and cheaper!). This is a fair argument. My only counter-argument is, I always prefer to not be the first adopter of these new chipsets running the 1280x800 resolutions. I prefer to fork out money over tried-and-true tested tech.



Feel free to ask any questions!

P.S. For TV owners, be warned. The purchase of this product might result in your HDTV being a dust-collector. LG HX350T XGA LED Front Projector with Digital TV Tuner

I am so conflicted in writing this review. On the one hand, the LED light source, coax and HDMI input, size, picture quality, and ease of use are all great. On the other hand, three out of seven DVDs/BluRays I have tried have not passed through the audio dialog of the connected movie. The background sounds and music pass through but the main dialog is completely missing. Not a little quiet, but completely missing! Mouths move, but no sound. I returned the first projector that had this problem to Amazon, but the second is doing the same. On some movies the voices do not come across when you hook computer speakers into the audio jack, nor do they come across on the projector's own built in speaker. I believe the projector doesn't know how to handle 5.1 stereo signals and cuts out the most important channel; the from center channel. I tried using different HDMI cables and source players (a laptop with HDMI out and a Playstation 3)but it did the same thing. I then found a DVD that did not play when 5.1 surround was turned, but gave the option of changing the surround to 2.1 in the menu. Sure enough, it played the voices when switched to 2.1.



When I contacted LG and explained what I had found, they simply replied that the projector's menus did not have a lot of options for audio adjustment and I should try always using an audio video receiver. One, this is a portable projector, why would I always have a large receiver toting around with it? Second, it is a mini plug going out from the projector and I don't think 5.1 signals can even be passed through and then decoded in a receiver anyway. I am very disappointed with LG Customer Service, and frustrated with the sound issues. When it works, it is awesome, when it doesn't, what a frustration! - Led Projector - Compact Digital Projector - Led - Home Entertainment'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information