Thursday 29 April 2010

Fun With Kids - board game, educational


I was trying to find a game to play with a client who has dementia and ran across this in an article. After I bought it I tested it out with my kids (25, 24, 19 and 11) and myself (47). We had so much fun!! It is one of those games that can be played at different levels. We started getting quite inventive on where and when to play to maximize our points and block our opponents.



I then played with my client. She and I did not keep score. We just made the chains with either shapes or colors and added wherever she first recognized a play. No trying to strategize where to build for future etc. We also played with both of our tiles up so we could talk about the best places to play. She likes this game and actually remembers having played before and wants to play again. The 'rules' have to be re-learned but the fun remains.



For one more note, we had a group of my daughters friends over and four of us played Quirkle. They were all 19 - 22. That got pretty cutthroat <lol> They all want to play again.



I HIGHLY recommend this game. I think I'm going to buy a 2nd one so more than 4 can play together (We played with 5 first night and it does work too). Qwirkle Board Game

Everyone in my family had the same initial reaction, "Looks lame." After all, it's just making rows of shapes or colors. After the first game we all figured out there's more to it. As my daughter said, "Well, checkers looks easy too; it's just moving pieces diagonally to the other side of the board."



On the downside, as another review mentioned, the pieces are cheaply made- low quality wood and paint, non-uniform size. But the most egregious design flaw is the selection of colors. For me, the red and orange are so close that even in good light I find myself holding them up at different angles just to make sure I don't confuse them.



I must compliment the author of the instructions. As you would expect on a game that appears simple on the surface but ultimately has many nuances, communicating those to the game player is essential. The directions walk through a hypothetical series of moves that pretty much cover any scoring or strategy intricacy that you might run into.



Bottom line: As long as you have decent color vision and are not a stickler for perfection in construction then put this game in your cart and check out right now. Your family will thank you. - Games - Strategy - Board Game - Educational'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information