Wednesday 28 April 2010

Kindle Reading Lights


I recently purchased the new M-Edge e-Luminator book light, even though there was nothing wrong with my older version. Thank goodness I still have my older book light, because the new one is quickly becoming an annoyance. The old light has a slide on and off switch and the new light has a recessed button on the light that you touch to turn on, with 3 different light strengths. When you want to turn the light off, you must touch it all 3 times and then hold it down the fourth time and the light will turn off. Unfortunately though, the light switch is so sensitive that it will turn on even if you don't touch the on button. After the book light does this to you about 30 or 40 times, you might find yourself annoyed and ready to go back to the older, slide switch on/off book light like me. I would recommend waiting to purchase until they have the 'bugs' worked out. M-Edge e-Luminator Kindle Booklight, Graphite (Compatible Only with 2nd and Latest Generation M-Edge Kindle Covers)

After many failed attempts at finding just the right light, I finally found it. This little light is amazing! It fits perfectly in my Kindle cover, has three different light settings, is adjustable and fits nicely in the cover when the cover is closed. Just what I was looking for!

The light works perfectly and fits perfectly into the M-Edge Trip Kindle Jacket I purchase. Although the case is not meant to have the light permanently attached like some other jackets which enclose the light within - I find the light itself takes up very little space so I simply fold it down an keep it with me day or night. As for how well it illuminate the kindle it does the job well and with its three different light levels you should have no problems reading anywhere any time.



On a side note: I'm from Toronto Canada and had to purchase the light from the ".com/USA" site not the ".ca" so it cost me a little extra but I find it was well worth it for the convince of the lights size compared to the choices that where available on other canadian sites.

I knew my husband would be getting me a Kindle 3 for Mother's Day, so I purchased M-Edge Latitude Kindle Jacket (Fits 6" Display, 2nd Generation Kindle), Red w/ Blackand the M-Edge e-Luminator Kindle Booklight, White (Compatible Only with 2nd and Latest Generation M-Edge Kindle Covers) (the older version of this book light) for my Kindle 2, because I planned to give that to my daughter. I purchased the M-Edge Latitude Kindle Jacket, Red (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle) and this light for the new Kindle 3. I wanted the graphite light to match the graphite Kindle. If I'd realized then that this light was quite a bit different from the old light, I never would have purchased it.



Before Mother's Day, I used the Kindle 2 with the M-Edge e-Luminator Kindle Booklight, White (Compatible Only with 2nd and Latest Generation M-Edge Kindle Covers) for a few weeks. It was not perfect--a little bulky, maybe--but it worked well, and was a huge improvement over using an ordinary booklight that I couldn't attach to the Kindle or the case. It was bright enough and easy to position it so that there was enough light to illuminate the page.



I've tried using this new light for a few weeks now and have found it to be useless. As other reviews have mentioned, the on/off switch is touchy and annoying. I end up having to touch it several times to get it to turn on or off when I want it to, and yet, I find myself accidentally turning it on or off when I don't mean to.



Also as mentioned in other reviews, this new light is not bright enough. It's useless for reading in a very dark room. I read in bed at night while my husband is sleeping, so I need a light bright enough to illuminate the whole Kindle. Even in dim lighting, though, this light is dim enough that it makes no difference.



Another issue that I've had with this light is that the bendable part of the light is too short. The base of the light (where the AAA battery goes is less bulky than the old light, but to make up for this, it's also taller, so the bendable part of the light ends up being further away from the Kindle. When you combine the dimmer light with the shorter bendable thing, you cannot position this light to illuminate more than maybe the first few lines of the Kindle page. You *can* turn it so that the light is directly above the side of the Kindle instead of the top, but then you cannot open the case to *read* the Kindle. Even if you could, the light is so dim that it still isn't worth trying to find a workaround for that.



This light is a very poor design. I've already given the older light and case to my daughter with the Kindle 2, and I can't find the old version to buy. Amazon is out and so is every other online store I've checked. I'm stuck using my old book light that I have to either hold or set next to the Kindle (and it constantly falls over). At least it lights up the page and I can read.



I'm very disappointed in this light. I feel it was a complete waste of money. I also feel that the case was a waste of money, too, since I can't use it with this book light. I tried the old light with the new case for the Kindle 3 and it works just fine, so I'd be happy if I could find one to buy.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kindle Reading Lights Kindle Reading Lights Kindle Reading Lights