Sunday 31 October 2010

Macbook Memory - 8gb, macbook memory


I have been running with this RAM in my MacBook Pro 17 (Summer 2009) for over 6 weeks. Not one lockup/freeze or problem of any kind. Programs are faster in general and I don't worry about closing applications any more. Apple computers through the years have been extremely finicky about RAM quality. I can't recommend these SO-DIMM's high enough. I put my old factory 2GB sticks for the MacBook Pro 17 into my wife's new MacBook 13. That worked perfectly..



These two 4GB SO-DIMM sticks cost $1200 from Apple directly. Spoil yourself and don't feel guilty about buying them here for much less -- especially if you use Parallels Desktop, or VMWare. Kingston will back you up, Amazon will also. Kingston Apple 8GB Kit (2x4GB Modules) 1066MHz DDR3 SODIMM iMac and Macbook Memory (KTA-MB1066K2/8G)

I purchased a 2010 model mac mini with only 2GB memory knowing that eventually I would upgrade the memory. After about 6 months, I found the computer lagging when using iphoto, photoshop and powerpoint at the same time (which I do often). I looked into the memory upgrade. Apple wanted $600 for 8GB memory but I found these Kingstons for under $100 on Amazon. They arrived within a day, installed within 5 minutes and when I booted up my mac it immediately recognized the memory and had improved productivity. I now can work with all of my memory eating applications open without problem, and I've noticed great improvement in web surfing and just general use of the computer. I am VERY pleased!

I bought this RAM as an upgrade to my MacBook Pro. The RAM seemed good for a few days, but I soon discovered it was the source of my Mac's Kernel Panics that started shortly after installing the RAM. It seemed to be associated with filling a certain area of the RAM, because my machine would work fine, until I had a lot of memory-intensive programs running. Often the problem would happen when putting the MacBook to sleep. At last, the RAM just totally died -- I got the 3 longs beeps of death when I turned my Mac on. What a sinking feeling that is! I put the original RAM back and, fortunately my Mac seemed okay. I returned the RAM to Amazon for a replacement. Amazon was wonderful -- they even sent me the replacement RAM before I had returned the product to them. The new RAM also seemed to be fine for a few days, maybe almost a week. Then I started getting Kernel Panics again. At that point, I decided I would just live with 4G of RAM and forget trying to upgrade to 8G. Amazon was wonderful again about returning the product, this time for a full refund. I questioned myself, that maybe I installed the RAM wrong. But then I answer myself that every time I put the original RAM back everything is fine. So I'm pretty sure that either: out of each batch of 2 RAM chips, at least one was bad each time, or, the Mac OSX Snow Leopard does not handle 8G RAM. Whatever the case, I am sure that I install the Kingston RAM, I get Kernel Panics, I put the original RAM back and the Kernel Panics go away.

You may be suspicious about my report and I don't blame you. I am surprised at this behavior myself since I have been installing my own RAM in PCs for 2 decades and I cannot think of a single instance where the new RAM was bad; until this experience, that is.

I have a brand new Macbook Pro 13" with the 2.4ghz processor. I am running the Kingston 8GB kit with a G. Skill 120GB SSD, the computer screams and could only imagine if I opted for the 15" with the i7 but the way I have it now my 13" is too fast for what I need anyways. The ram got a 4 for ease of use because I had to reset my PRAM upon installation. The computer was slow at first, booted into the diagnostic tools, memory passed all diagnostic checks so just went wil simple troubleshooting steps by resetting the PRAM/NVRAM and the SMC for good measure. Computer booted up in less than 8 seconds and runs Logic Studio, Apurture Pro (while rendering) and designing scripts all at the same time with little to no lag.



If you have a bad set of RAM don't rate it a 0 unless you run a memory diagnostic, reset PRAM, and have confirmation that it is the ram. People switch back to their original apple ram and it runs fine because yeah, snow leopard pre-caches information. If you reset that pre-cache I beet most of these guys wouldn't need a new set of ram.



RESET PRAM (hold option + command + R + P and press the power button, let it go to the white screen and restart and et go of all the keys). Also go to apple.com/support not some cheesy Mac forum I troll those forums and people are idiots on most of them.

I received the RAM ahead of expected time in good shape and at a great price. I've been using this memory for over two months and it works flawlessly. I would not hesitate to recommend this RAM to those seeking to maximize their memory on MacBook Pros.

Although the specs claim that you can upgrade only up to 4 GB ( 2 GB in each slot), this 8 GB RAM works great in my MacBook ( not just the PRO version- this is the regular Whilte polycarb Unibody version). Makes a distinct difference vs. the 2 GB standard that came with my MacBook. I had found several references to its compatibility with a MacBook Pro, however no one had verified this to work with just a MacBook. The specs for a 13' Macbook pro and Macbook were almost the same except for the aluminium unibody vs the polycarbonate, and this worked with the MacBook without any problems.

Installing the 8 GB RAM was a 10 minute task. It took some time to dig up the right precision screwdriver bit. First shutdown the Macbook then remove the 8 screws to expose the RAM. Discharge static electricity and then remove the existing RAM ( follow instructions given in the 'Everything MAC' manual if needed) . Plug in the new RAM and fix back the screws. Boot back up..Go to MAC>About this Mac, to see the 8 GB in action,..



The Macbook is much faster now. All apps , from Google Chrome to XCode run quite smoothly. - Apple - Macbook Memory - 8gb - Ddr3 1066'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information