Thursday 28 October 2010

Parker - parker


Since I was young, I had awful handwriting. No matter how I tried, nor what writing instrument I used, my handwriting was terrible. My teachers, parents and even my classmates and friends would comment and lecture me on how very difficult if not impossible it was to comprehend my scribble. To make matters worse, I write left handed and often I would smear my words with my left pinky making my bad writing even worse. It was the story of my life and I simply accepted my fate of illegible handwriting and even printing.



Then a miracle happened. For my birthday, a great friend of mine sent me this Parker Sonnet fountain pen with a fine nib. Hah!!! I can't even use a pencil legibly and now a fountain pen? Well it worked! For some reason, my handwriting improved using this pen! Maybe it is because I do not have to exert much pressure on the nib as I have to with a ballpoint or pencil. Maybe it is because the nib "grabs" the paper. Maybe it forces me to slow down. I am not sure but I know that my handwriting has improved. Now, Thomas Edison's reputation (ever see his beautiful handwriting?) has nothing to fear but at least my handwriting isn't an illegible embarrassment anymore.



Also, Parker pens come with their brand of ink called Quink. It dries into the paper so fast, that my pinky does not smear the ink like a ballpoint or pencil. Amazing!!! Now my pinky does not appear to have the beginnings of gangrene.



This pen is also a good looking, classy instrument. With it's shiny black finish and gold accents and nib, it catches eyes whenever I use it. The finish is very durable and after a couple of months of fairly heavy daily use, there are no scratches to be seen. It seems to be very well made. The cap fits on securely and the details of the pen are sharp and clear.



I use the refillable ink reservoir every few days to fill my pen with Quink blue/black ink. I found that the blue ink, while beautiful in color, does not duplicate on at least my office's copier machine well if at all.



My son does not have the greatest handwriting either (the apple does not fall far from the tree). For the upcoming school year, he gets a fountain pen. When he is older, I'll get him a Sonnet too. Parker Sonnet Lacquer Fine Point Fountain Pen with Golden Trim, Black (1743579)

While it's not quite the MkI Sonnet of 15 years ago it is 1/3 the price. And while the S/S nib isn't quite the pleasure that the 18k unit is, it is a solid pen and a very good value. Highly recommended. - Parker'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • parker