Thursday 28 October 2010

Multi-tool - gerber, multitool


I am in the Army and currently serving in Iraq. Being here I have received several different models of multi-tools by manufacturers such as SOG, Leatherman, Kershaw, and Gerber. This particular Gerber is by far my favorite and the only one that I brought from home. It contains the tools that I need most, and is at a size that I find comfortable to wear on my belt and it's being there does not interfere with the fit of my body armor or other equipment. I'm amazed at how often the scissors come in handy too. I thought that a goofy thing to have until I got this tool, and now I cannot imagine not having them handy. The pliers are just the right size for most jobs, and the cutters are just fine for cutting the bands off of equipment when needed. For my money Gerber has a winner here and if I ever lose this one I will replace it with the same model. Gerber 05500 MP400 Compact Sport Multi-function Tool

The Gerber MP400 is a great tool... and it's just that... a tool! It's small/compact which you can take everywhere. It's great for occasional use as well as moderate everyday use. If you're looking for something for heavy use, get a regular tool box. For a multi-tool in the $20-$30 range it's economical and gets the job done.



Pro's - it's one hand opening of the pliers is nice and the locking feature for all the other tools is a must have, especially the blade. The grip design allows you to grip down hard without hurting your hand unlike some of the other flip over multi-tools like the Leatherman's.



Con's - the tool can be a bit more sturdy. It has some flex in the design especially when turning a tight screw. The material used to manufacture the tool is a bit soft. The pliers are manufactured with such precision that you need to oil it occassionally. Thank goodness for WD-40!



Option - the included Gerber sheath is a belt-loop design. I recommend one from Ripoffs (Model CO-12 or CO-13). Its clip-on design makes it easy to get on and off your belt (without pulling down your pants).



Conclusion - if you want a tool with all the features to get you through your day, you will not be disappointed with the MP400. If you're looking for the Rolls-Royce of multi-tools, this is not it. This is the Chevy pickup with the rust spots still driving down the street.

The Gerber Compact sport is one of the best knives I have ever used from the one-hand opening to the locking blades. With the flick on your wrist, you are ready to do anything. The advantage between this and Lethermen is that you don't have to dig for your pliers. The Gerber knife is also good if you have kids because they can't get into it. With the pliers in the handles, it is next to impossable to open. The disagvantages Gerber are the price, and it is harder to get to the tools in your knife.

I have two Gerber 400's, one with the tool kit. They are superb examples of size efficiency. The knives hold an edge better than most such tools. As such, they are HARDER steel than some other brands. Hard, thin steel do not like twisting. Buy a cheap kitchen knife [...] for pumpkins, or use a 'pumpkin saw' (which incidentially will also break if twisted).Other than that, the only advice I would give is to keep the 400's well-oiled. The sliding mechanism can bind- especially if used outdoors- unless you keep it oiled. This is explained in the flyer that comes with the tool.BTW- Gerber will replace broken knife blades.

This is my third one over the past ten years as I have lost the other ones while working. I own and operate a handyman service and this product is indispensible. I have tried other products and they do not compare. It is small, sleek and convenient, especially in tight areas.

Compared to the Swiss Army SwissTool, which I also own, this tool has many drawbacks: It needs oil. The pliers have a lot of friction even when oiled -- they don't swing open easily, I need to use two hands to pull them apart after each motion. The scissors are really tiny, almost bizarrely so. It's kind of ugly. No ruler, even though there's space for one. The can opener doesn't retract well, so it exposes you to a sharp edge whenever you are using the pliers -- a really poor bit of design.



There are some real positives too. The tools are the right size, and the screwdrivers seem exceptionally solid. The half-serrated blade is a feature some people will like, and it's fairly (not exceptionally) sharp. The non-glare matte finish may please some people, and makes the tool easy to hold firmly. The plier tips are strong and precisely machined, suitable for both fine and medium-sized work.



If the price is low (I paid twenty), it's a decent purchase. But it's certainly NOT the best multi-tool available.

This is a sweet multitool, the only disadvantage of which is it needs regular lubrication for the one-handed opening to work really easily. It would also be nice to have a ruler engraved on the side like other models.



The selection of blades is decent; as another reviewer noted, the scissors turn out to be really helpful. I also like the wire-snips for cutting small cable-ties and those annoying plastic tags that retailers put into sweaters.



A quality product with no great drawbacks. - Multitool - Camping - Knife - Gerber'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information