Wednesday 27 October 2010

Reconditioned Tools - nail gun, nailer


This is the Cadillac of nail guns. Now that they make the offset full round head nails to go in the clipped head nail guns, you just can't beat this gun. The 100 nail magazine makes a big difference, you really notice how many fewer times you are reaching to refill the magazine. Also, the rafter hook works great. Toe-nailing tight spots is a little difficult, but I am very glad I bought this gun instead of one that shoots plastic collated nails. I was sick of the plastic pieces flying around and hitting me while I was working. The wire collated is a big improvement. Factory-Reconditioned Bostitch U/F28WW Clipped Head 2-Inch to 3-1/2-Inch Framing Nailer with Magnesium Housing

I have been using the older and heavier version of this gun for a while. When it came time to get another one I was a bit hesitant about the magnesium housing. My arm however is overjoyed. It has just as much balls as the older version. I have never had any trouble with this gun. I prefer the wire weld nails so there really was no other gun for me.

This thing is nice and light, the bottom of the magazine has a plastic cover that is pretty chewed up. It also came with a nice dent on the side of the magazine where you slip the nails into the back. This was causing the spring bottom to 'catch' and stop about 1/3 from the top of the magazine. I straightened out the metal with a pair of needle nose pliers enough to get the spring to move up and down freely.



Judging the overall condition, I'd say this unit was used at a construction site and was dropped from a good height, which broke it. The fall caused the damage to the base of the magazine and dented the side of it as well and probably broke the air hose nipple (the nipple looks new now). There are chips and scratches all over the main body.



It's a nice gun to work with, the light weight is noticable making this thing feel almost like working with a finishing nailer. Toe's in very nicely, weird angles are usually not a big problem. Handles smaller nails and large nails equally well.



The only other thing I would mention is that for a home user like me, nails aren't all that easy to find. The hardware man at Home Dpeot was baffled by my nail gun requirements, "28 degree wire collated? huh? We don't have anything like that...". Lowes didn't have any either. Ace does carry them (wierd in my opinion), but only one or two types, so you will have to order what you need. Probably better to special order them at a store than buy online and pay extra for shipping.

Have used this nailer for several months now and am very satisified.

No trouble finding nails as they are carried at local Home Depot and online from Amazon.

Pros: Works very well, no jams yet, for low volume usage a small compressor works ok, nails are available.

Cons: hard to use in tight places, exhaust will stir up a lot of dust in confined spaces, lost protective tip in about a week, falls off too easily.

I'd purchased this nailer from CPO which sold them reconditioned with a full factory 1-Year Warranty. Mine arrived and appeared like new, with hardly a scratch upon it. The only issue I'd noted was the nailer was missing the hanger-attachment which allows the nailer to be hung from a rafter when not in use. CPO assured me they'd remedy the situation, and a new attachment was sent within a few days. Overall I really enjoy the nailer, it's intuitive in its use, and a breeze to set the nails depth. It does have some kick-back, but it's not unmanagable, and I suppose it's to be expected when you trade weight in lieu of recoil. As for someone elses comments about the nailer be extinct due to Bostitch not having round headed nails... They're completely wrong! I researched this prior to purchasing the nailer, as I didn't want to buy something I couldn't use (i.e., not to code). Bostich offers round-head nails that are wire-collated @ 28 degrees and I'd purchased a box of them @ Lowes (same price as the 1/2 head, similar length). Overall, I'm quite happy, as I'd saved over $75 from our local merchants, and I have a nail gun that works like new!

I'm an avid DIY'er, not a professional so this is from that point of view. The gun showed up, looked new. Worked flawlessly. I've used it about a dozen times to build a deck and some knee walls. I have always been hesitant to buy a framing nailer, but so glad I did. I've had it about a month now and not a single issue. The only small issue I will note it the release for the nails (pull back to put in nails and then push the level to release the lock) is a bit stiff. I don't think it's defective, and it works, just takes a little doing. I really like this product and would highly recommend.

I bought this nailer before starting a large deck project. I've used a brad nailer for years, but never a framing nailer. I was totally geeked out by this thing! It must have cut my construction time in half. Nails and accessories are readily available at Lowes, Menards, etc. - Reconditioned Tools - Framing Nailers - Nailer - Nail Gun'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information