Friday 29 October 2010

Google Phone - accessories, g1


Please beware that this product does not work with the Android 1.5 "cupcake" software release as of 15 May 2009. It works with the previous release of the system. I will update this review when I get it to work.



[...]



Update: Toggleheadset breaks with Android 1.6. I've switched to using CyanogenMod, which fixes the bug!



Even with the update, there is a lot of alternator noise in my headset when plugged into the cig adapter on my Toyota. Clear as a bell without power enabled. OEM 3.5mm 2.5mm Headset Adapter Converter

This item actually has the HTC logo and is specifically designed for HTC phones.



This device allowed me to connect a 3.5mm stereo plug to my sound system to play music from the phone. Also, I use the 2.5mm stereo plug to connect to my car stereo.



Whats more, you can even plug a car/home charger into the device at the same time as the stereo plugs. This is very convenient in the car with a car charger. I made an adapter like this before with the Cingular 8125 but the problem was you would hear a "whining" sound in the stereo when the car charger was plugged in at the same time. With this device, you do not have that issue.



Its a very nice multifunction device, and at the price its selling for, you cant beat it.

The product works as a splitter, or if you want to talk while the phone is charging. But if you are looking to listen to music/navigation while changing, please note that the included 3.5mm or 2.5 mm ports will NOT work! It is not that they are defective but they are only for wired handsfree for phone communication. For music you still require the HTC 11pin to 3.5mm converter that came with your phone. You may use that adapter with this splitter to listen to music while charging but that becomes a messy setup - 2 adapters, 3 cables, 3 connections. I eventually bought a bluetooth car kit for music, navigation, and phone; and charge the phone directly when needed. So don't use this splitter anymore. You might end up doing the same unless you don't mind 3 cables. Another alternative is FM transmitters, but those don't compare to BT neither for quality nor convenience.

I bought this for my HTC Rhodium (The HTC Touch Pro2/HTC Tilt2) I was expecting some cheaply build dongle but I was surprised when I saw how durable it was. With this adapter I can use the HTC USB headphones, the 2.5mm AND 3.5mm and charge the phone the same time!!! I recommend this too every HTC Rhondium/Touch Pro2/Tilt2 owner, it will work perfectly for you phone. This is a must buy if you want to listen to music and charge at the same time.

I bought this so that I could play music from my phone into the car speakers with the line in 3.5mm port AND charge at the same time. Previously i used my stereo bluetooth pilot that takes a 3.5mm or just the adapter that has 1 converter to 3.5mm. These worked. I plugged my car line cable into the 3.5mm on THIS multi-adapter and nothing! it was charging, but not playing music. My work around was to plug the single adapter i previously used into the original android headphone port on THIS multi-adapter... this worked! if i didn't have this single adapter i would have returned it. i can listen to music and charge my phone at the same time without running my stereo bluetooth pilot battery down.

With my G1 and "cupcake" firmware, charging works only via the end port, and headphones work via the end port or the side USB port. Charging and headphones do not work together under any arrangement.



In other words, the product is useless.

I've been using this with my HTC Dream. I've a car mount for my device and I use it as my GPS, MP3 player and podcast listening. With this I can run the screen on max brightness and still listen to music without having to worry about draining the battery dead.



Pros:

-Multiple ports for everything you could connect (Headset jack, headphone jack, mini usb x2)

-Good solid feel, seems durable

-Sounds exactly as good as anything else on my stereo (Radio, CD's, iPod's)

Cons

-The cord from the box is a bit short. It would have been nicer if it could rest on the top of my dash. As is I've mounted it to the back of my phone mount and the cable just flexes around so not too big of a problem.



**NOTE**

As it has been described by others, the connector at the end of this is NOT mini usb. It is a proprietary usb connection of HTC's. you can plug mini usb into either of the ports on the box or (in my case at least) into the phone however you cannot plus this adapter into any old mini usb. I should also add that my HTC Dream is rooted and running Android 2.2 (Cyanogenmod)

I could have gotten a lemon but this thing sat on my desk from the moment I opened the package. I used it rarely when I needed to be on the phone for a conference call while charging the phone. After a few weeks I noticed that sometimes the audio would cut out but I thought it was the conference call issue. It wasn't until it got really bad that I noticed it was the adapter. I contacted the seller and they gave me the "30 day return policy" speech...no help at all. I would not waste my money on this. - Accessories - Android - G1 - T-mobile G1'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information