Saturday 30 October 2010

Dewalt Router Guide


This is quite a fixture for your Dewalt router. I use mine on the DW-621, so I use the thinner set of rods and extra set screw knobs that come with it. It has a thicker set of rods for the 3hp routers. You rough-adjust it by sliding it on the two rods that fix to the base of your router and locking the set screw knobs. You can then "fine tune" it with the center knob and lock the set screw knob on it. The large picture above will make these explanations clear to you.The dust collection works okay; I have a small hose adapted to my shop dust collector, but it does take some getting used to, dragging a hose around with your tool. The construction of the fixture is very heavy-duty; it should last a long time with continuous use. DEWALT DW6913 Router Edge Guide with Fine Adjustment and Vacuum Adaptor

I purhcased this a few weeks ago from Amazon. I played around on scrap while getting the hang of it. It is easy to setup and use. I used it making some fluted trim and the vac port worked ok when working near the edge but hooking the shop vac directly to the Dewalt plunge router worked better. All in all well worth the money.A fellow woodworker

I received the edge guide a few days ago and used it to complete the mortising for the hanging brackets of my daughter's bed that I recently completed. I felt that the setup was a snap and it is easy to use. Prior to using the guide I made a few practice cuts so that I could get a feel for the adjustment and accuracy of the edge guide. Given how inexpensive this edge guide is, I believe it works great and have no complaints.

I have used routers for over thirty years. And during that time I have used edge guides at times. This edge guide is better than most for two reasons. First it has a fine adjust to get precision cuts. And second it has a dust collection which connects to a shop vac to clear the work area so you can see what you are doing. I have used it on several projects now and am very happy with it.

The flex compromises the accuracy. This solution is probably OK for the weekend warrior, but if you make your living as a finish carpenter, you might want to look elsewhere for a more accurate solution. It is a shame since the DeWalt plunge router's base (model DW621) is smallish compared to other routers out there. It's overall stability would have benefited from a more stable edge guide. Some instructions included in the box would have been nice too!

The face of the edge guide that touches the workpiece is a problem on the unit I got.



It has two pieces, basically split vertically in half if the router is also vertical. One of my pieces is bent slightly towards the workpiece, or perhaps one piece is bent slightly away. It still works, but honestly is my most disappointing purchase as far as quality goes; not good for very accurate cutting.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Dewalt Router Guide Dewalt Router Guide Dewalt Router Guide