Saturday 30 October 2010

Tripp Lite - power cables, sata power adapter


This is just what you need to hook up that SATA drive to your motherboard(that square looking thing in the tower you bought).



To do so make sure you full shutdown the computer and unplug it. Then plug this SATA power cable into the only slots it will go to(trust me nothing else in your computer is going to hook into this thing then what is supposed to). Then plug in the SATA data(signal) cable into the only slots it will go to(same thing here , it won't hook up anywhere or way then what it is supposed to). After you have done this , close the case and power up your computer. Enjoy your new drive that you so obviously needed this for.



Data cables and Power cables break so rarely that it is unheard of. This one here is a testimonial to the quality you should expect from said cables.



Things to look for in your tower if you plan to hook up a SATA drive:



#1 There should be a 1" long by 1" high prong on your motherboard that looks so slightly like an L shape that you well barely notice it has such a shape. This is the SATA data cables connection point to your motherboard.

#2 There should also be a (OOOO) shaped connector on the end of a cable attached to your power source(the big block of metal at the back of the computer that the power cord attaches too).



If you can find these 2 things(or someone you know that is good at such things can) then you can connect an SATA drive to your computer. Tripp Lite P944-06I Serial ATA (SATA) Power Cable - 6in

It seems like such an effort to get this feather-light item shipped to me to finish the job of installing my SATA 1TB drive, since getting it at a local store would have been much quicker and involve less "energy", it would seem. However, I honestly don't know of any store (mom and pop OR big box like Best Buy) that would supply such a cable.



I was a little leery from the description wondering whether it would be exactly what I needed. I needed a power adapter to transfer from an LP4 female connector to the back of a new SATA hard drive. This was exactly what I needed - I was happy when I opened the package and saw the male LP4 plug, just like the picture showed. Yes, it *is* 6'' long so be sure you don't need more length than that before you commit to buy.



I would recommend it, but then again if it "fits" your need, then it would seem there's really nothing much that could go wrong.

Some power connectors have a poorly constructed Molex connetor end (the white end) so it does not make reliable contact on all leads. The ones I purchased were all well constructed and made positive contact when plugged in. It's well made, but I would expect that from tripp-lite. Does all it's supposed to and reliably.

Want to add a Sata device to your PC? Or, perhaps your power supply died and you have a spare one sitting around or want to buy the least cost supply that you can? Then you may need this adapter to get power to your SATA device. I've used these to convert IDE drive systems to SATA drive systems and it's a great way to reuse your current system or get a low cost solution for SATA devices. A lot of the lower cost power supplies may have 1 or 2 dedicated SATA plugs. If you need more, use this adapter.

I purchased a DVD burner to replace a conked-out CD player, my computer is about five years old and the only SATA power cable was going to the hard drive. None of the local stores had a converter, so I turned to Amazon to save the day.

How could anything go wrong with something so simple? For me it did!

One of the four wires connecting to the white plastic connector was disconnected on arrival. I pushed it back in and it managed to work. However, it finally gave out after several months, and I had to order another one.

For something so cheap I did not bother go through the troubles of returning it. - Cables - Power Cables - Sata Power Adapter - Computer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information