Tuesday 26 October 2010

Computer Extras - mouse, computer accessories


I have a notebook with a touchpad and I've been very happy with it until recently when the buttons starting crapping out. I started looking around for a mouse and was overwhelmed by the dizzying array of different ones out there. This is the 6th one I've tried and think it may be the one.



I tried wireless and it was okay but I'm much happier with the performance of the corded ones. Then there were some that had so many buttons I couldn't figure out what to do with them all; I kept hitting them accidentally and they usually ended up disabled. Some felt cheap and I thought the scroll wheel might actually fall off of one.



That brings me to this one. For me, this is a perfect mouse. It's not the most attractive one around but it's not really ugly. I have medium-sized hands and it fits nicely. There are no rubber grips but the plastic around the bottom is textured so it's easy to grip. The buttons are quiet and very easy to click. They are solid and don't feel like they might fall off as some of the cheaper ones do. The scroll wheel is great; it's a solid black rubber and rolls smoothly but clicks slightly too. It also has a tilt-wheel for those interested in that feature. The performance is fabulous.



You can use it without the Logitech software but if you want full use of all the features you have to download the software. If you have a slow connection this can be a real pain as the file is quite large. I ended up going to the public library and downloading it to a stick memory; it took all of five minutes. On my system (Windows XP) I found that I also have to keep the software running in the background if I want to have use of the tilt-wheel and the middle button; but you can disable it and still have use of two buttons and the scroll wheel. Really, unless you need the tilt-wheel and the middle button there is no reason to even download the software unless you have the same problem I do. When I switched to a USB mouse, my Windows Mouse settings started acting funny; they won't stay where I set them, even if I click 'Apply.' Whenever I restart, all the settings go back to Default. I don't have this problem though when I use the Logitech software.



If you want an inexpensive mouse that's easy to use and works great for moving your pointer around, and also has some additional features should you choose to use them, this one can't be beat! Logitech Optical USB Mouse

This is a great basic optical mouse from Logitech. Fits nicely in my small hand and the smoothness and speed of operation is much better than my old non-optical Microsoft mouse. The bonus is that it comes with a PS2 adapter in addition to the USB cord. This is not mentioned on the Amazon description. I am very pleased with this mouse and can highly recommend it if you just need a basic mouse.

If you sign on to windows using a password, DO NOT install the mouse per the instructions supplied with the computer. Why, because it will not recognize your mouse at the point it asks you to input your password.



Instead, with your system running, unplug your current mouse from the USB port and plug in the new logitech mouse. It should recognize it right away. I assume it loads the standard MS optical mouse driver, which works fine.



If you go to the website to download their driver, it isn't obvious which mouse is the right one. But after finding it, it also isn't obvious which software driver is the right one and there isn't any help to guide you. So, whatever driver it recognized when I plugged it in, works fine. Therefore, I abandoned the effort.



Summary.



Mouse works fine.



System software that recognized the mouse on plug-in seems to work fine.



Logitech software, I have no idea if it works as I have no idea on what to download.



Therefore, I rate it a 3 since the website for logitech is severely lacking as well as the instructions that came with the mouse.



Cheers

Overall, this is a basic mouse that will serve your needs. Sensitivity is great, installation couldn't be easier on Vista (just plug in), scroll wheel works well, includes adapter for PS/2, all at a good budget price.



My only gripe is this mouse feels way too light, and that's not a compliment. Now, I'm not a strong person by any means. I usually don't like wireless mice because I feel that 2AAs make it too heavy. I like my mice light and responsive, but this model is just ridiculous. I think the mouse is light because it uses the cheapest materials. The mouse has a "hollow" feel to it, if you get what I mean. Compared to other mice in the same class (such as the Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, which I highly recommend), this one stands out as the budget mouse.



If you're on a budget, I recommend this mouse b/c all advertised functions does work well. But there are better mice out there, even for this basic class. - Computer Accessories - Logitech - Usb Mouse - Mouse'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information