Saturday 30 October 2010

Processor - processor, i7


Greatest i7 CPU to ever hit the market thus far.

This thing time and time again blows the 6 core i7 990x, 980 and 970

completely out of the water. Considering that this unit costs a little over

$300 and the i7 extreme 990x, 980 970 cost two to three times that amount and

it still out performs it says a lot. Until SandyBridge-E comes out this is the

most powerful chip out there for consumers. Recommend both this processor and the

gigabyte p67 Motherboard for best use and reliability. Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600

This was the first CPU I ever installed on my own. I am thrilled with the speed in everything I do, especially video editing.



I ran a test converting a 30 minute 720p HDTV show (.wtv file) to MPEG on both my laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo T6500) and my new desktop (Core i7-2600). My laptop took 4.5 hours, and the desktop took 34 minutes!





MY (FIRST) BUILD:

CASE: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600

MEMORY: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

MOBO: ASUS P8P67 LE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 ATX

GPU: GeForce GT220 (upgrading soon to GTX550)

HD: 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green (SATA-300)

PSU: Rosewill BRONZE Series 1000W 80Plus

OS: Win7 Home Premium 64-bit

OPTICAL: LG 10x Bluray Burner SATA WH10LS30K

I have gone from an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2ghz to this beast. It's like night and day! I went with this particular version (2600) over the 2600K because there is virtually no difference according to Intel's Processor Comparison Tool. The specifications are exactly the same, except the 2600 supports Intel's Virtualization Technology. This processor uses Intel TurboBoost to decide if it wants to overclock on its own up to 3.8ghz in speed. Unfortunately, as of writing this review, I had to send back my motherboard due to a defect with the SATA ports on the LGA1155 sockets, so I can't use it anymore at this time. I am definitely holding onto this processor until the revised motherboard chipsets are released!



EDIT: I have heard from around the internets that the K models of these processors are "unlocked" meaning the capability/success of overclocking manually is increased. Can't say that 100% true though... my mother and step-father work for Intel in the Fabs making these chips and can't even confirm that.

Intel i7 2600 is top of the line. I did not go with the k (unlocked) because I am not an overclocker gamer, so I saved the $20. I installed the CPU on the ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Mobo and it all works great. However, the included Intel cpu cooling fan was inadequate, so I replaced it with the Thermalright Siver Arrow Dual Fan (which does fit an 1155 socket). It is a large fan, but it easily fit in my Thermaltake Level 10 GT case. Now the Intel i7 2600 runs cool and will last a long time.

I know this should be a review and no doubt this i7 is top of the line I wonder if anyone can give me some recommended specs to build a powerful pc using this i7 chip.. good for 62 bit Cs 5 After Effect open gl video card..

Seems like a good processor, though doesn't seem significantly faster than my previous AMD Phenom 2.2 GHz quad-core. Easy enough to install, though, in a new Intel mobo. Good documentation and DVD install disk. Wish it would have had at least one IDE terminal, though. - Cpu - I7 - Processor'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information