Saturday 28 May 2011

Access Points - access points, wireless access point


I have had a Microsoft Router for about 5 years now and it has been perfect in every regard, but I was really wanting to upgrade it and get the latest speeds....I was torn since my Router is still working great, I hated to mess with something working so good when you read the spotty reviews (some 5 star---some 1 star) for some of the new routers.



So I thought this one would be the perfect choice and after 2 months of ownership I am proud to say that it IS !...I just hooked it into a port on my existing router and now I have the Microsoft Router in B speed and the Trendnet N Speed working right beside each other perfectly...I am very happy with it...It took about 15 minutes to install using the included instructions and their website that is very helpful...I was able to print out the entire manual before I even got the router !



In the couple of months I have had it...Not one dropped signal...haven't had to reboot it...nothing.....It's been flawless from day 1....It works WAY out in my backyard.....and everywhere in my house (1,500 Square feet).....I get 80% signal in the yard and back porch...and 92% to 95% inside the house.



I have used it with a iPod Touch...PS3....and a Wii....and setup was easy with them all....even with the best security settings. TRENDnet 300 Mbps Wireless Easy-N-Upgrader (TEW-637AP)

I didn't think Wireless N was going to be this fast, but it is. It made everything in our wireless network fast. I went from 16,000 k/bs on a good day to about 32,000 k/bs almost consistently now.



All my older appliances that are on Wireless G and B work too without any problems.



I would have given it 5 stars if it was easier to configure. It was as easy as it described. I went out to their website to look for other documentation that made more sense.

I have a really good D-Link wired router that I did not want to replace, so I got this Trendnet Easy-N-Upgrader to add wireless to my network. It was easy to set up and works well, but it has some annoyances in the set up. There are options that should be selectable, but they aren't. Not a serious issue, but poor UI design. If you are going to force defaults on the user, then don't put clickable items in the UI and disable them.



Speed will never reach the advertised 300mbps wireless N capability because the wired port on this unit is only 10/100mbps. So if you are looking for an access point to deliver 300mbps, look elsewhere. Can't be done with this unit.



As far as performance goes the TEW-637AP has performed very well for me. Solid, reliable connections. Been using it for a couple of months now and it has been stable. Not a single dropped connection, and haven't had to reboot the unit at all. To the reviewers who have been having issues I suggest you check your firmware version and update if it's not the latest.



Setup was relatively easy. Trendnet says it's compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux OS, but the included setup CD, which is needed if you follow the quick install guide, does not have any Linux or Mac compatible software. So if you are running Mac or Linux OS you will have to configure it manually. Fortunately it's not hard to do. Just run any decent web browser and log in to the TEW-637AP (default IP is 192.168.10.100). From there it's pretty simple (the full user guide has instructions for manual configuration if you need them).



All in all I'm very happy with the TEW-637AP. It was cheap and it works very well. Just be aware that the maximum throughput will only be 100mbps (limited by the 10/100 Ethernet port) and the included CD is Windows only (Mac/Linux must manually configure using web browser).

Got this to upgrade my HughesNet Modem. I didn't have a switch so I was afraid when I unpacked the AP that I wouldn't be able to configure it since it only has one Lan-Port which it needs to get an IP-Address.

BUT a standard wireless was turned on by default so I had no problem configuring the TRENDnet AP to work with my HughesNet Hardware.



If anybody is trying to set it up using wireless as well just remember this little hint: On the final step of the wireless-configuration a message will pop-up and tell you that your configuration failed. This is not the case so just ignore this pop-up and reconnect to the new wireless-setup. (The problem here is, that the AP can't reconnect with you since the wireless-configs have changed - but like said before ignore it and just reconnect)



One more thing - this is only an AP (Access-Point) its not meant to have any firewall-abilities so dont't expect any.



- It has all needed encrypting methods from WEP to WPA2

- User friendly interface

- Standard security- and monitoring-features

- Option to choose the wireless mode (B/G/N or a mix of 2 or all 3 modes)

- Under Wireless-N-mode I was able to get the signal even more than 200 YARDS away from the House



So if you are looking for an easy and cheap way to extend your Network with a reliable Wireless - this is a very smart choice - Wireless Access Point - Access Points - 80211n - Trendnet'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • 80211n
  • ,
  • access points
  • ,
  • trendnet
  • ,
  • wireless access point