Sunday 29 May 2011

Kickass Games


First of all, I will not say that this game is better or worse than Black Ops considering how different they are. From a campaign perspective, I think Bulletstorm is hands-down a better game than Black Ops. BTW, I play a lot of Black Ops and, for the most part, I think it's a better game than reviews indicate.



Anyway, Bulletstorm is tons of fun to play. I'm not much of a sci-fi guy but the story is good and the action is a blast. Kicking guys into cacti, leashing an enemy to pull him into a metal gate and impale him on a piece of rebar...awesome! The variety of ways you can kill never gets old. I adapted very easily to the controls and the physics of the game and am easily able to switch between this and other shooters without any problem. If I were judging strictly on campaign, I would give this game 5 stars without question.



Unfortunately, the multiplayer is quite lacking. If the Treyarch guys put too much into multiplayer and not enough campaign, the developers of Bulletstorm are guilty of the opposite. It's fun to play but there is only one mode (Anarchy) and no way you can actually battle other players. It's just a team of players going against AI enemies. Like I said, it's fun but pretty weak considering the competition out there in the FPS genre and it gets boring pretty quickly. I bought Black Ops in November of last year and I still play the online multiplayer. I still play games that are 2 or 3 years old because of multiplayer but I don't suspect the case will be the same with Bulletstorm. I will probably play the campaign through one more time on a harder than normal difficulty and shelve it.



I disagree with the reviewer who claimed that this game is all about shock value because of some coarse language. There are about 5 R-rated movies released in any given week with more coarse language than this game. Even if you are offended by foul language, it's incorrect to say that this game is about shock value, there is some definite substance here from a gamer's perspective, I'd just like to see them take the multiplayer further. Bulletstorm

Looking trailers and hearing its reviews, I had little to no expectations for this game. But then I liked Gears of War and Shadow Complex games and since this was also being released by Epic, I thought why not give it a shot. After finishing the campaign mode and trying Ecos and Anarchy modes, I have to say I am quite surprised.



***********PROS.***************



-AWESOME COMBAT SYSTEM: This is the best aspect of this game. You can slide, leash to pull enemies, kick them and use variety of weapons with primary and second fire and pull a huge variety of combination off of them. At first you may feel like it may get redundant, but thanks to variety in levels, there are a huge variety of things you can do. Thanks to that you won't get bored till the end of the campaign.



-VARIETY IN LEVELS: Other than awesome combat, there is plenty of variety in levels. Throughout the campaign you experience a variety of environments including the space, woody greenery filled areas, abandoned factories, building high in the sky that is about to fall apart and list goes on.



-SURPRISES: There parts during the campaign where you will be surprised by certain events and the gameplay that will follow it. I really don't want to spoil it for you, but trust me you will like it.



-GREAT GRAPHICS AND DECENT ART WORK: The first time I saw the trailer for this game, it really looked unpolished to me. But now that I have finished the campaign, I can say that since then they seem to have refined it quite a bit. Certain levels just look gorgeous. I guess never doubt the power of unreal engine.



-VARIETY IN WEAPONS: There are 8 different types of weapons and that is not including the leash. Each weapons (including leash) has devastating alternate fire mode. There is just plethora of combos you can do if you mix and match these weapons. I personally enjoyed each and every one of them. Also, while some weapons may look and sound familiar from other games, they will play very differently in this game. For example with sniper rifle in this game you can change the direction of bullet after you fire it. I personally have enjoyed the variety very much.



-UPGRADABLES: To top of each weapon is upgradeable with the skill point you earn by killing enemies in creative ways. This rpg element will truly encourage you to creatively kill enemies and get as many skill points as possible. While this rpg element is not as well thought of as other games, it still adds incentive to do your best.



-ONLINE PLAY AND ECOS MODE: While not my favorites (see cons.), after you finish the game, you can stay busy by playing online multiplayer (anarchy mode) or Ecos mode which has the same levels as campaign but gives you stars on your performance.



************CONS************



-RELATIVELY SHORT CAMPAIGN: Hate how games these days have such short single player campaigns. Unfortunately bulletstorm is one of them. While I enjoyed each and every moment of the campaign I found it to be very short (~7-8 h max and that is because I explore a lot).



-MINOR GLITCHES: I had my character stuck while jumping over objects at least 3-4 times. Unacceptable. All the games have glitches, but under no circumstances your character should be stuck like this. I mean you can't even kill yourself. Restarting the level is the only option.



-MEH MULTIPLAYER AND ECOS MODE: Compare to some other games these days, I didn't enjoy the multiplayer so much. I got tired of it rather quickly. Also the Ecos mode felt the exact same as the campaign. I wish they had added more varieties.



-LACK OF NEW GAME+ MODE: This is a game that can really use a new game+ mode (i.e. start with all the weapons you collected etc.). Unfortunately, it doesn't have it. So there are some really cool weapons and upgrades you get towards the end of the game. Unfortunately, if you want to use them again, you will have to play the game again and you will only get to use them for last few levels. Just very unfortunate.



**********CONCLUSION****************



Simply speaking I am looking forward to Bulletstorm 2. Partly because I enjoyed this game and partly I have faith in the developers that they will improve the weak aspects of this game. All and all I enjoyed pulling off crazy combos in beautiful, but destructible environments, but I wish they had longer campaign and had fixed some of the things described in the con section. I give this game 8.5/10.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kickass Games Kickass Games Kickass Games