Monday 30 May 2011

Alarm Clock - ipod dock, docking stations


Got this for my son to use with his iPod touch. The first unit worked as a clock radio, but would not connect with the iPod at all. After a quick and painless replacement from Amazon, the replacement unit worked fine with the iPod - for about 6 months. Now it's doing the same thing as the first one, refusing to charge or play from the iPod.



Once is a fluke, but twice is a pattern. It's too late to return it to Amazon, and I don't want to spend about half the original purchase price to ship it to the manufacturer, just to get another potentially defective unit. I'm going to write this one off and look for another alternative with better reviews. iLive Large Display Clock Radio with Docking and Recharging for iPod (Black)

The clock has adapters for several model IPOD models, it charges the IPOD, it integrates the IPOD to all its functions,(alarm, sleep etc.) and to boot, the radio part of it gets good reception. It is a good solid product.

I thought the price was a good value for my sister and I. I am enjoying it very much at work. It is just the right size for my desk and loud enough if need be and I can use my headphone also. So I am in seventh heaven and thanks for having items everyone would like.

Almost everybody who sells an iPod/iPhone compatible accessory has been infected by Apple pride in their products, i.e. high cost. But this is one of the better values. The sound quality isn't great, but it's not bad--after all it's just a clock radio at heart. The controls are well placed and intuitive. I got it because I can't stand the omnipresent blue lights on every other iPod docking unit illuminating my bedroom like an airport runway. The unit's display is amber and has a hi/lo switch. It charges the iPod family and allows a significant degree of iPod functionality while docked. The only real quirk is the alarm. When set to awake to the radio, if I don't turn it off after a minute or so, the alarm buzzer gradually comes up in the background. Maybe that was intended, because it sure works to get me out of bed.



UPDATE: When I got my long-awaited Verizon iPhone 4, I wondered whether I'd have to give up the convenience of charging it bedside and use the included cord somewhere else. Not to worry. When I plugged in the phone I got a message on the screen indicating the accessory was "not optomized" for the iPhone and that I may experience some loss of signal strength. I didn't notice any loss of bars in the corner and the phone charges perfectly with no other issues. I lucked out.

Maybe I was just unlucky but I got a unit that had faulty display segments so I couldn't really tell the time. The clock resets if you remove the mains power EVEN if the backup battery (at least that's what I thought it was for) is installed. I guess it works fine with an iPod BUT if you have an iPhone, this is not at all a good choice. The phone even warns "this accessory is not compatible" and ask you to switch to airplane mode effectively turning off all phone functions. If you don't, it makes horrible interference noises in the middle of the night even if you turn the volume down to zero. The controls still work to play back and stop music but there is no visual indication as to what is going on (let alone what is playing etc). The radio is very primitive with a dial (no digital search). The sound quality of the speakers is just like what you would expect from a toy or cheap radio you had in the 80s.



The only good thing I can say is it takes in many types of iPod models via multiple docking plates that it comes with, and without any, you can even connect one that has a cover (some docking devices can only take plain iPods without any cover around it)



Overall, you get what you pay for, but given the not entirely bargain price it's not worth it IMO.

i got this alarm clock for my iphone since it's pictured on the amazon listing AND the box it came in.

it does NOT work with iphone, you cannot play music with your iphone because the radio waves and the phone waves interfere and create an irritating, high-pitched static noise. - Ipod Alarm Clock - Clock Radio - Ipod Dock - Docking Stations'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information