Wednesday 25 May 2011

Electronics And Gadgets


I'm using the unit in a REPEATER mode. My house have 3 floors and my router (WRT54G) is located in the basement. I get a signal of 11 Mbps on the sec flr using a centrino powered notebook. The signal would drop to 1 Mbps after some use and the only way to get the signals back is to to reboot the notebook for some reason or go to the first flr. Hence, decided to get this unit and use it as a repeater.



Steps that worked for me are as follows:



01. Disable any security you have on the router (I'm using WEP) and enable SSID broadcast prior to any configuration .

02. Configure the unit using the setup disk and provided the ff:.

---- Provided a different SSID (or you can provide the same SSID) with enabled broadcast.

---- No encription

---- The same transmission channel (Chan 11) as with my router

---- New password

03. Exited program setup. Run browser and connect to the AP interface using the default address [...]

04. Configured the AP in REPEATER MODE placing my router's wireless MAC address as the repeated source signal.

05. Saved the setup.

06. Test if working by removing the wire behind the AP. On your PC/Notebook, open up a command window (START,RUN, type in "cmd" and click [OK]). Type in "ping 192.168.1.245" and press [ENTER]. You should see something like "Reply from 192.168.1.245 bytes=32 time=3ms TTL=225". If you get a "Request timed out." then that means your AP cannot be seen in your network and was not configured successfully go through STEP#1 again.

07. If successful, you need to enable security back (NOTE: At this point, the AP is running stand alone with no wires connected at the back from the router). Since I'm using WEP, connect to the AP using a browser at [...]

Go to wireless security and enable WEP and add the key codes and save your setup.

08. Now enable security back on the router with same key as you have on the AP and save your setup.

09. Test connection again by running STEP#6.

10. Place the AP where you want it to.

11. With a wireless PC/Notebook, scan for wireless networks. You should see the new SSID as well as the old one. Connect to it so that your PC/Notebook would save that information.

12. Connect to your AP, disable SSID broadcast, save setup.

13. Connect to your roter, disable SSID broadcast, save setup.

14. You're done!





I placed the WAP54G on the third floor. After all is said and done, my signal was boosted to 45 Mbps (max at 54 Mbps). Works like a charm!!!



NOTE:

- These procedures is specifically if you want to configure your AP as a REPEATER.

- If you configure the AP with WEP security on the get go, you will never be able to get it to work!! I spent hours on this to no avail.

- You can use the same SSID. I used a different one because I want to see what wireless unit I am connecting to when i transfer from floor to floor.



UPDATE 031810

The unit I believe is starting to die on me. My internet access will get cut off all of a sudden and it has been happening frequently (like 4-5 times a week). I have to unplug then plug it back to make it function again. I might upgrade my system to the WRT610N and WAP610N soon.



UPDATE 033110

I decided to get a new WAP54G instead since reading through the WAP610N manual, there is no provision for a REPEATER mode. I placed the old one on the first floor. So now, I have the WRT54G on the basement, my old WAP54G on the first floor and my new WAP54G (with a NETGEAR 5 port switch connected to it) on the 3rd floor. I noticed that with the new one, my web browsing is a lot faster compared to the old one!



UPDATE 041110

So I had the NEW WAP54G for a couple of days since my last update and I still had the same problem of getting disconnected intermittently. I tried shutting down the OLD unit totally but the issue persists with the new unit so it looks like the AP is not the problem. Now, my IPOD TOUCH 32GB 3Gen needed repair and has been out of commission since last Friday 04/09 (bought this last January). And guess what? I have had no problems with my WIFI connection since then (both APs running). I have to see if the replacement Ipod screws up my wifi connection again but I do think I found out the culprit for my WIFI issues.



UPDATE 042510

I got my new replacement Ipod Touch a week ago. My WIFI failure started again but not as frequent. Now, I always turn off the Ipod's Wifi when I'm not using it. I guess I'm stuck with it.



UPDATE 072610

When I got the IOS 4 software update for the Ipod Touch, my WIFI issues disappeared. :) Cisco-Linksys WAP54G Wireless-G Access Point

I have a SOHO that uses a wired 10/100 switched network. Already part of this network is a Linksys single port Cable / DSL Router. When it came time to make the jump to wireless, the WAP54G seemed the logical choice, as I would not have to reconfigure anything on my existing network. For the record, I selected the WUSB54G and WPC54G adapters for two different purposes. Look for reviews on those items posted separately.



I had no trouble installing my original piece of Linksys gear. Now, since Cisco acquired Linksys, this effortless installation is even easier. The software installed seamlessly and I was able to modify the default settings, to match my network and increase security, occurred without any problem. A nice touch is the included patch cord to perform the initial setup. If you have a single port Cable / DSL Router already on your wired network, simply plug the other end of the patch cable into any open port on your switch or hub and the WAP54G will establish communication.



One small item left out of the manual was how to access the Web based administration interface. For first time installers, this may be critical. You need to open you web browser by entering the IP address for the Access Point. Once there, you can access the proper screens to assign a static IP address, strongly advised, and set any key options.



If you are not familiar with WEP Keys, these are electronic codes that keep your network private. While not as fool proof as wired security, they do go a long way to keeping strangers from using your network. If you create a key, keep a hard copy somewhere secure but handy. Like any password, treat them as a guarded secret. If you enable WEP Keys on the access point, any network adapters must be supplied with the key before a connection can be established.



Once the Access Point is configured, place it a good location and your done. Now you only need to add a wireless network adapter to any PC and your good to go. One nice feature is this model is also compatible with the 802.11b spec and will handle the slower traffic of this spec. With the 802.11g adapters, the network will send traffic at the full 54 Mb/sec for that spec.



Bottom line: nice price, nice performance and painless installation.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Electronics And Gadgets Electronics And Gadgets Electronics And Gadgets