Saturday 28 May 2011

Telephoto Lens - alpha, digital slr


According to a photo magazine, this is a cosmetically re-labelled Konica Minolta 75-300 (D) zoom telephoto, which is a lens that I own (it certainly looks exactly the same as the KM 75-300 lens, but with the 'Sony' name). In which case, I have the following review:

(1) Excellent construction quality, this is a very nicely made lens, excellent finish, not too heavy but solid and without the 'plastic' feel of many medium-priced lenses;

(2) Excellent optical quality, with good sharpness even at the longest 300mm focal length where most zooms begin to show poor quality;

(3) VERY UNUSUAL: near-zero distortion throughout the entire range of focal lengths (very different from some Sigma zooms that I own, which have conspicuously visible pincushion distortion). This may well be the lowest-distortion 75-300 telephoto from any maker.

(4) ONE CAVEAT: AUTOFOCUS IN LOW LIGHT: on my Minolta Maxxum 7 film camera, whose autofocus system is apparently quite similar to the Sony Alpha 100, the camera has difficulty autofocussing the 75-300 lens at the 300 mm setting (where the aperture is only f/5.6) in light weaker than direct sunlight. This is probably the same with any f/5.6 or slower lens. I have found myself switching to manual focus at the 300 mm setting if the subject is not brightly lit.

NOTE: the Konica Minolta 75-300 (D) lens is still available, for about $140, and reportedly will work with Sony Alpha cameras just as well as the similar lens labelled Sony. Sony 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Compact Super Telephoto Zoom Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Camera

Recently, I moved from the SONY DSC 707 to the SONY A 100 DSLR. The change in cameras from the Cybershot to the DSLR took some getting used to. I purchased the SONY 75-300mm Telephoto lens from Amazon and as soon as it arrived I attached the lens and began to use it.



I am definitely pleased with the lens, the price and it's capabilities.

Having used a SLR for almost 30 years, moving to the DSLR takes some time and patience. The SONY A 100 is a solid perfomer, and it is my fourth SONY digital camera.



For the avid photographer, the SONY 75-300mm Telephoto lens is priced well and will provide exceptional performance. Once you attach the lens you will discover when in maximum telephoto mode, the lens is quite long. If you attach the lens shade it's even longer and takes some handling considerations in tight spaces.



The extreme focusing speeds of the A 100 are rapid and vary as it adjusts to the optimim focus. The lens in AUTO mode is in constant adjustment. This focus issue takes some getting used to. The lens balances quite nicely on th A 100. As with most photographers, you need to find the best hand positions on the camera body and lens so you can feel comfortable while you shoot. The lens is ultra depth of field sensitive.



Having had the lens on the camera now for a month, I am beginning to adjust to its "sometimes hyper adjustment activity"! I am in no way disappointed in the lens because the telephoto shots I have kept and recorded are first rate with the SONY A 100 and the SONY 75-300mm lens.



As with all new cameras, it takes time to become familiar with the camera settings and lens activity. I highly recommend the lens with an awarness of it's sensitivity and length. After hours of shooting I am pleased with the lens, and SONY's attention to detail in both lens construction and performance. If you own a SONY A 100 DSLR, or plan to invest in the SONY DSLR system, this lens will not let you down. You will review your photos and be pleased with the results the SONY lens provides you.



I intend to invest in other SONY lens in the future. As for now, the two SONY lenses fulfill my photographic needs quite nicely. SONY has entered the DSLR market with an outstanding camera and quality accessories.

Prequel: I am coming from a strict Nikon background and due to having my $4000 kit(D80, 3 VR, 3 2.8 pro lenses, etc) stolen out of my car, am starting all over again. That being said, I don't have $4000 to plop down at once, so I decided to get an "entry to mid-level" system and after many internal battles, decided to try something different and go with the Alpha system. My thoughts were if things didn't work out with this setup, I haven't spent that much and could use it for a carry-around camera. So far I see absolutely NO reason to go back to Nikon. Yes, this system is THAT good.



Sony 75-200mm f/4.5-5.6 Lens: Wow. I sincerely cannot BELIEVE this lens is only $229! As many reviews point out, this lens has virtually ZERO distortion from 75mm all the way up to 300mm and purple fringing(CA) is contained nicely. Needless to say, for a lens at this price point to preform this well is unheard of. This lens combined with the super quick AF of the a200 is a perfect marriage. I compared this to the super sharp Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, and although the Nikon is a bit sharper and performs better in low light, the IQ difference is surprisingly small. I can highly recommend this lens and the Sony Alpha system as a whole! - Lens - Alpha - Digital Slr - Zoom'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information