Friday 27 May 2011

Calorie Counting - kitchen gadgets, weighing scale


Just to give you guys a little background, I bake my own bread and to do so, I need to weigh the incredients rather than using a volumetric measurement such as Cups or liters. I've been baking for a few years now and as a result, I've gone through quite a number of kitchen scales. But every scale that I've owned in the past had a flaw or a 'foible' so to speak: weight limit being way too low, hard to read display, flimsy weighing platform, inconsistency... the list goes on. Of course, some cost way more than others, but for the price I paid for this scale, it was perfect.



Weight capacity - It can weigh things up to 11 lbs, which is important for me. In case you're wondering why, having a high limit allows you to weigh incredients in bowls, which can be heavy at times.



Simplicity - One thing I've noticed, is that if a scale is more complicated, its just more things that can break. This scale is simple yet it has all the necessary functions such as Tare, and Unit change.



Cleaning - The stainless weighing platform makes cleaning an easy task. Things just wipe right off.



Durability - The materials and construction seem very sturdy and well built. It doesnt seem as fragile as some of my past scales, and a definate plus is the sturdy weighing platform.



consistency - A scale is meant to weigh things, and if a scale can't to do that right, then we're in trouble. But have no worries, this scale is on the dot every time. ( use a nickel, which weighs 5.0 grams exactly )



Overall, its a great deal and its been flawless so far. Oh, and yes I could recommend it to others! Ozeri ZK011 Precision Pro Stainless-Steel Digital Kitchen Scale with Oversized Weighing Platform

This is a pretty good scale for the price. It is very thin and light. The large surface area makes it easy to weigh with mixing bowls. I would have given it a 5 star except there's no way to set the default unit of measure. Every time you turn it on, it defaults to gram.



Update: Used it for a few days. Very easy to clean. Love it. Got another one for my mom.

The Secret Factor for Uncommon Sales Success



Really like the stainless steel surface. Product works great. The only feature that is a little disapointing is it defaults to grams whenever it's turned on. I would rather it default to the last unit that I used...ounces

This little scale is amazing. I was pleasantly surprised to see how compact and attractive it is. Even so, the platform is large enough to weigh many things directly. Because of the oversized platform it is easy to place a plate or bowl on it before turning it on and have it start at 0 so you can weigh less than an additional ounce of food without dirtying the scale. The read-out protrudes enough to make it easy to work with. With the 7 lb capacity, being able to place a realtively heavy dish or bowl on the scale before weighing the contents is also a plus. The only reason I give it only 4 stars is that the read-out is not back-lit, but 98% of the time that is not a problem. I use it four or five times a day and still have a little thrill of appreciaton each time I do.

I recently started baking bread and found better consistency when I weighed my ingredients rather than measuring them via volume. I bought this scale for this very purpose, and I'm glad to say it's fulfilled all its needs.



Pros:



* Simple controls: A single 'Unit' button to cycle through grams, pounds, fl oz's. On/Off tare's the scale, and turns the unit on.



* Oversized weighing platform. Measures 6 inches in diameter, allowing me to put large bowls as containers to weigh ingredients.



* Portable. The unit is powered by a single CR2032 lithium battery (watch style) and can be moved anywhere in my kitchen



* Fast response. Get an accurate reading within a second, with little fluctuations.





Cons:



* Storage. I wish the company had provided a small enclosure/case for this scale as storing it is a little difficult (you certainly don't want to store it with stuff stacking on top of the scale as it would likely throw off the calibration).



* Cleaning: The buttons will likely get jammed with dough/etc if you don't make sure your hands are clean when you operate this scale. Packaging tape over the entire panel would circumvent this problem.



* Cleaning: I would have liked a removable weighing platform for cleaning .



* Not that I reach 11lbs very often, but an on scale 'scale' which shows bars indicating how close you are to the upper limit of the scale would be nice.





Overall a great scale and I hope to use it for a long time.

I have used kitchen scales for years to control portions as a preschool director, cook and bottle washer, then in Weight Watchers. I find this one simple to use and don't miss the bells and whistles of the more expensive ones at all. It has the important features; grams or ounces, on and off, tare function. Easy to clean. I would like the stainless plate to be removable for cleaning, but the difference in cost between this one and the one I had that had such a plate is more than the price of this one. - Kitchen Gadgets - Weighing Scale - Accurate - Diet Scale'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • weighing scale
  • ,
  • kitchen gadgets
  • ,
  • diet scale
  • ,
  • accurate