Tuesday 31 May 2011

Headphones - x11, headphones


I purchased the X11 for use with Xbox Live because of the problem of being able to use a mic if you also play with headphones for game sound. It seems there is a distinct lack of headphone-mic solutions that have the proper size plug to fit the mic jack on the controller, and that also have independent chat and game volume controls (kind of important if you want to be able to hear chat over game sounds). Thanks to Turtle Beach and their line of headphones this problem is solved. I went with these because I don't mind a wired solution since I play at my computer desk using my monitor and distance isn't a problem.



These headphones work exactly as advertised. If you follow the directions and set your chat settings on Xbox to work through the headphones and turn the volume up to 10 you will not have any problems hearing voice chat without having to crank your chat volume to max, as a previous reviewer wrote. After a week and a half of using these for various games (mostly Bad Company 2) I would say the sound is decent and the controls work quite well. The game and chat volume controls as well as the mute switch are all on the little inline control box for ease of use. The cord is very long so even if you are sitting across the room it should not pose a problem. There is even a velcro strap for tying up excess cord. The earpieces are nice and big so they cover the whole ear instead of crushing your ears plus they are nice and soft, overall very comfortable. The mic boom is much better than typical ones found on other headsets. It's a little longer than most and flexes easily to get it exactly where you want, yet is sturdy enough to stay in place. The pickup on the mic seems excellent also, plus with mic monitoring playing a portion of your talk back into the headphones there is no need to shout into it.



I do have three gripes with these headphones though. One is that the cloth lining on the inside of the right earpiece ripped on the second day of use for no apparent reason. All I did was wear them a few times and just placed them on my desk when not in use. I have no kids or pets who could have damaged them. I fixed this by taking a covering off another headset I had, cutting it down a little and placed it inside the earpiece. I did this because the plastic that was exposed was bothering my ear and this solution worked great without degrading the sound at all.



My second gripe is that there is a constant hiss in the headphones when they are plugged into the USB port for power, even without the volume turned up much at all. I tested it on various ports on the Xbox and on my PC also and it remained. It is not overpowering and does not detract from game play once game sounds are going because you don't notice it over the game sounds. It's just a bit annoying during quiet times when you can hear it. I feel a wired version of headphones should not have this problem if proper noise reduction is put in to counter the powering of the amplifier.



My third gripe is that when I wear these for awhile and then place them down on my desk a blackish type stain is left behind after awhile. I think it might be sweat interacting with the dye on the headphones then dripping out. It is still doing this even after a week and a half of use.



Overall I am satisfied with the headphones because they do the job and fulfill a need for Xbox Live that most other headphones and mics do not, combining both into one. The gripes are minor except the hissing so I took a star off for that one. Otherwise they have decent sound, a pretty good mic, and are simple to use.



PROS:



+ Decent sound, certainly loud enough to hear both game and chat.

+ Very long cord.

+ Independent volume controls for game and chat, and mute switch, all in the same place for ease of use.

+ Excellent mic with great pickup so you don't have to shout.

+ Comfortable to wear long term with big earpieces to cover your whole ear.



CONS:



- The right cloth lining inside the right earpiece ripped, exposing the plastic (maybe just bad luck on my part).

- Seems to leak black dye from the earpiece, possibly interacting with sweat.

- A constant low level hiss when powered, not bad enough to overpower game sounds but still shouldn't be a problem on more expensive headphones.



EDIT (5-10-2011)



I have been using these headphones for over a year now and they still work just as described in my above review. I would have to say that speaks nicely as to their durability. Ear Force X11 Amplified Stereo Headset with Chat

I bought my X11s to improve my gameplay in Modern Warfare 2 and to play at night while my family is asleep. I am so glad that I did. They have accomplished both objectives with flying colors. The sound quality is excellent. I can hear absolutely everything, even the faintest sound cues I could never hear before. Just the ability to hear footsteps, the direction that they are coming and what they are walking on makes all the difference in multiplayer. Before ordering them, I read many reviews that mention a hiss when the headset is plugged in and was a bit worried that this might be an issue. There is a hiss, but it is so negligible that it isn't even worth listing as a con. Almost all the other reviews that I've read that mention this hiss also mention that you can't even hear it during gameplay. Doesn't that pretty much disqualify it as a con? Honestly, these things could play Home On The Range until I put my MW2 disc in the drive for all I care. There has to be absolute silence in the game in order to hear the hiss. As soon as any music or in game action starts, it is gone, in no way hindering your gaming experience. I also didn't have any problem hearing this hiss while using the X11s with my iPhone for music or YouTube. The ability to control both the game and chat volumes works very well. I've played several very long MW2 multiplayer sessions with friends and I haven't had any issues with my friends hearing me or vice versa. I love that when you raise the game volume, it automatically adjusts the chat volume so that the game audio doesn't drown it out. Which is a good thing, because these bad boys are loud as hell when you crank them up. I have literally jumped in my seat during unexpected explosions. The volume and quality of the sounds make for a very immersive gaming experience. They are also extremely comfortable. Most of the time, I can barely tell they are there, even when I've had them on hours at a time. My old headset sat right on my ears, which would make my ears very sore, very quickly. Overall, I have to give these a five out of five. For the price, they just can't be beat. - Xbox 360 - Headphones - X11 - Gaming'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information