Sunday 28 August 2011

Usb Hub - usb hub, usb


A 10 port USB hub might be the "Holy Grail" of tools to connect multiple USB devices.



As others have commented, however, the device feels cheaply made.



USB cables do not seat fully.



Most importantly, assess your power/charging needs before purchasing.



Many reviewers comment on the ability/inability of their USB devices to charge while plugged into various USB hubs. Some of this may be traced to the power supply for the hub. My personal experience is that, depending on the USB hub I'm using, if I'm trying to run a USB cooling fan, charge my iPhone and Blackberry at the same time (while other USB devices are attached), I will get an error message stating power is inadequate, or one of my devices simply won't charge.



Almost all (all?) USB hubs are powered by devices whose DC output is 5V. Most manufacturers do no list on their web site how many amps are provided by the power adapter. The amps can vary widely. On this 10 hub port, the output is 5V at .5A. I have other hubs that cover a range, with some having 4 ports at 3.6A.



So, if you may have the need to attach multiple devices at once, without much need for charging or powering the USB device, this 10 port hub may do the trick. If you travel, and are looking for something to connect and/or charge multiple devices at once, (bluetooth earpiece, Blackberry, iPhone, camera, etc....) USB hubs with low amps may mean only 1 device will charge at a time, while others may not even connect. This can be very frustrating.



It is also important to note the iPads will not charge with a random USB hub, nor will they charge connect directly to a computer. A special power adapter is required to charge the iPad. This is an iPad issue, not a USB hub issue.



It would be helpful if other reviewers would comment on the amps provided by the powered USB hubs they review, and if others could verify this observation.



Any other input by someone who knows/understands the power circuitry would be appreciated, as these are observations only by using various hubs in a trial and error fashion. For example, can one take a power adapter with an output of 5V 3.6 A and safely use this with another hub whose original power adapter has a lower amp rating? Black New 10 Ports USB HUB 2.0 High Speed with Power Adapter

This is one of the first 10 port hubs I have seen for this low of a price. And let me tell you, it is totally

worth it, ESPECIALLY since it is a powered hub. While the cord for the power adapter may seem short, I believe

its just designed to go from the floor straight to your desk, at least that's how it worked out for me.

There's enough power to charge my phone (HD7), and run two of my external hard-drives. Speed is great,

there seems to be no noticeable difference between using the hub and the built in ports of my laptop (Envy 17).



Overall - Highly recommended, especially for the price.

I really liked the number of ports and compact design on this USB hub, but the construction is a bit sub-par. USB devices do not plug all the way into the sockets, leaving room for the USB plugs to wiggle about and loose connection. I ended up using gaffer's tape to hold each USP plug in place so my devices don't disconnect.

I purchased one of these because I kept running out of ports. Best decision I ever made. I'm going to purchase more for other uses as I continue to add peripheral devices to my systems. You simply can't go wrong with this style/brand. I've tried several others but find this specific product to be the best there is.

I got mine last night, took it out of the plain white box, and got pretty much what I was expecting. I'm certainly not impressed with it so far, out of the box I had to adjust the silver decal on the top, it was humped over in the middle. The USB ports themselves seem somewhat wobbly, I'll just be careful with that, but the most important thing is that:



THE POWERCORD IT COMES WITH IS NOT THE POWERCORD IN THE PICTURE.

Also THE POWERCORD IS COMPLETELY UNLABELED



I don't have a multimeter so I can't check what the output actually is, so I have no clue what the capacity of this device is. If it's the same as the one in the picture I'm fine, if it's the .5A stated in other reviews I'm going to try and replace it. So far I have four devices plugged in, but they're all low power, a tablet, a trackball mouse, a pair of Razer Megalodon headphones, and a webcam, and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems, lights are lighting, cursers are moving, sound is... sounding...



So far it's doing everything I've asked it to. Ok so I just now plugged in my Samsung Intercept android phone and everything kept happening, not sure if it's actually charging, that's going to take a while and I don't have the time today, but the phone recognises the power source, didn't give me any errors, and has mounted onto my computer, no instability thus far.



One thing I thought was nice is that it does actually have slots on the back for mounting it with screws, it just doesn't come with screws, not that I'll have trouble finding some.



Overall I'd say I'm getting more than I payed for, but still I only payed like eight bucks. I hope this company releases a 20$ version, with sturdier construction and explicitly with a high capacity power brick. I'd buy it; but I'd probably buy another one of these if I needed it too. Despite the issues, I like it, just handle with care. - Usb Hub - Usb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information