Friday 26 September 2008

Freud  inlay Template Guide - router templates, milescraft


This pantograph is far more versitile than using templates for sign making. Your imagination is the only limit to designs you can create. Constuction could be a bit more rugged but for the price it is a fine value. Milescraft 1298 3D-Pantograph Router Stencil Tracing Jig

I recently purchased this pantograph after trying true freehand router sign carving and considering letter stencils. What makes the pantograph great is you can essentially "freehand" carve anything you can draw on paper and because there is a size reduction from your original paper image to what's routed into wood there is also a size reduction of any errors you might make in following the pattern. This results in smooth, accurate lettering and image carving.



The user instructions are on the simplistic side and could use more detail and instruction. The biggest problem I had initially was accurately anticipating the final location of my carved image on the stock. Something that is easy to overcome with a little practice.

This is a great tool for personalizing your work. You can do 3-d accents or type. It has a bit of a learning curve and the instructions leave a bit to be desired, (no mention of the need to center the bit) but it has proven to be a great addition to my toolbox. I would sure buy it again.

I purchased the basic signmaking kit (Model pro #1212) from milescraft several months ago thinking that the pantograph version was too complicated for basic signmaking. I had pretty good success in making some trail signs with the Model Pro #1212, but like others commented, it's a little cheaply made...the stencils pop out easily. Plus, the templates you have are all you can do. After several signs made with this method, I looked into other kits, and decided to give the 3D-Pantograph a shot. I'm quite happy I did. This pantograph takes a little setup and experimentation, but it is sturdy, and allows you to be creative with different fonts, pictures, etc. As advertised, whatever you can print out and trace, you can carve with your router. I've already made a few signs in the month that I've had it, and am very happy with how they look. So, bottom line: if you want an extremely affordable signmaking kit that gives you lots of options, give the Pantograph a try. It's a lot of fun and so far very rewarding.

The directions for the assembly are not all that bad. However there are no real clear directions on it's use. I have wasted a lot of wood trying to figure the proper placement of wood I want to engrave or stencil.

Recieved item with all pieces. The scope or reach of the machine was more limited than I expected. Actually it is really a reducing design on the original pantograph, so it is a problem to make a useable sized project.

I have purchased 2 of these from my local hardware store and both have broken within assembly or use. As everyone else has mentioned, instructions are not clear and pedestrian. The assembly parts are made of cheap plastic and break easily. Plastic notches hold the pantograph to allow 40%, 50%, 60% reduction. Once you switch to another size the notch breaks which your rod will now slide through the holder.



I just used today and the plastic holder along the back brace snapped in half and the other holder was severly cracked. I am surprised noone else has had the issue of the notches breaking. Maybe the predrilled holes in the metal were not large enough on the two I bought? I find it strange this has happened to me twice. I ended up supergluing the notches back on.



I was looking forward to making signs for my children and family. Very disappointed. Need to look for another pantograph but of higher quality. I plan to write or call the company to complain.



Otherwise, a neat tool to have. Wish the construction was sturdier and clearer instructions on how to assemble, use, and create perfect lettering (difficult to fill in open space cleanly without raises in the wood while routing large letters).

I am very impressed with this pantograph. I had less than three evenings to design and build a commissioned box out of oak, with carved inset lettering. After fussing around with the carving, I visited a local woodworkng store and the sales associate recommended this pantograph.



It took about two hours to set up the pantograph, design and print my own letter templates, test, and finish the routed inset letters.



During my testing I came up with a method to evenly space the letters, but ended up doing it by eye during the production run.



I used the Milescraft roundnosed router bit. I also tried a v-groove bit and determined it would better for line drawing and lettering outlining.



I produced the letter templates using Coreldraw and set the pantograph to 50% reduction. Since I needed 3-1/2" inset letters, I created 7"+ letter templates. The 50% reduction is a great idea, as it reduces imperfections as you follow the letter with the stylus. I found that you can use the pantograph to carve any line drawing or lettering that will fit on 8-1/2 x 11 paper. Actually, though 11" may be the tallest template size, you can print a banner of any length and rout it, moving the workpiece as necessary. The ingeniously simple wedge and fence mode of clamping the workpiece works great.



I mounted the pantograph to the 48" x 20" plywood as recommended in the instructions. Worked out perfectly, but now I need to find a place to hang it.



I am a semi-pro, with a shop full of professional tools and always thought that the Milescraft Pantograph was a flimsy gimmick. Absolutely not so. I could not be happier with the pantograph and plan to use it a ton for future projects.



Note: I would have saved $10 by purchasing it through Amazon, but I had to finish a rush job, so I bit the bullet and purchased it locally. - Woodworking - Router - Milescraft - Router Templates'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information