Saturday 27 September 2008

Otterbox Defender - galaxy tab, samsung


I am more than somewhat concerned. I ordered this from Amazon and after waiting for 9 days for "free delivery" received what is clearly not an Otterbox product. This was confirmed by Otterbox when I contacted them directly. I would give this product ZERO stars if I could.



I ordered from My Gear Store, the other reviewer (W2SJW) ordered from CellOut - but with identical results. Like the other reviewers the product that was delivering to me is almost certainly not an Otterbox Galaxy Tab case.



* After sending them photos, Otterbox customer support says that this is NOT an Otterbox case.



* The Product was listed as new and there was no indication of the use of generic packaging in the listing but the order arrived completely absent the original Otterbox packaging - simply dumped in a clear plastic bag. Several others had the same experience (ccgirl etc.).



* The unit was completely missing the clear plastic screen protector that's supposed to be GLUED into the front-half of the case. This screen protector is clearly indicated in both the wording and the photographs of the Amazon listing. (The missing screen is arguably a $22.00 value which is the cost of a high quality screen from a comparable manufacturer)



* The rear-half of the shell is missing the suede/microfiber cloth inserts that are supposed to be attached to the inside to protect the back of the tablet. The actual item (as legitimately manufactured), can be clearly seen in the Otterbox Galaxy Tab case review on YouTube and on the Amazon site as a sales promotion!



I am not going to mince words - the case I received is almost certainly a knock off of an Oterbox case - whether the parts are OEM or not - which I doubt. No Packaging - Parts Missing - No Contact from Vendor - Disowned by Manufacturer - you probably get the picture by now.



I tried for 5 days to get in touch with the vendor - to get their side with no meaningful response. Their phone voice mail system does not connect you to anyone.



This is not a "You get what you pay for situation". The advertising for the product lists the vendor as "Otterbox" and nowhere indicates that this is not a complete or correctly packaged item. In fact the photography and wording states clearly this is a complete Otterbox product. I have the screen shots to prove it. Further, without the protection screen and the design, overhead and warrantee costs - this is a $3.00 piece of plastic. Otterbox Defender Case for Samsung Galaxy S Tablet Wifi / 3G

First, let me state that I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Otterbox fan, and have put their Defender-series cases on just about all the smartphones I've ever owned, but this order has me slightly disturbed.



I ordered this case from the vendor CellOut here on Amazon, and the unit that came is definitely not a retail Otterbox Galaxy Tab case. The unit was completely missing the clear plastic screen protector that's supposed to be GLUED into the front-half of the case. The rear-half of the shell is missing the suede/microfiber cloth inserts that are supposed to be adhered to the inside to protect the back of the tablet. The actual item (as fully outfitted), can be clearly seen in this case review on YouTube:



[...]



I have a serious belief that this specific vendor is using bulk-purchased individual case parts & packaging them together. The unit wasn't even in any form of box or packaging other than the mailing envelope (don't get me wrong, I buy quite a bit of electronic accessories on eBay that do not come in OEM packaging, because it saves the seller & me shipping costs). I'm still waiting for the tablet itself to show up this afternoon, so we'll see in a short while if the tablet actually fits correctly in the case.



I fully understand that it's a 'you get what you paid for' situation, but everyone should pay attention to what the individual seller is (or isn't) saying in their descriptions...

The otterbox cases are known for their protection ans this is no exception.It is relatively easy to put together and keeps dust out(but not finger prints , I for one had no problem accessing the screen with my fingers but sadly I went back to my original Belkin Leather portfolio case , Why?



The otterbox protects well , it feels like you could throw it across the room and it would survive although I wouldn't suggest this ,bt let's face some facts , how much protection do you need , the worst case scenario is that you are going to drop it from waist high and any case would protect this under these circumstances



Two things I did NOT like about the otter box is that the outside plastic protector is supposed to double as a stand to watch movies , it works fine except it feels like you're about to break the plastic to move it into place and back



The second isue I have is that Otterbox offers such a high level of protection the system feels like a bloody tanks when it's installed , I want my thin easy to access micro sd card galaxy tab, not something that is surrounded by 3 peices of plastic and a layer of rubber



The Otterbox is a great product no doubt , that's if you don't mind adding 300 percent bulk to your tab your call but just went back to my Belklkin case and I love it - Case - Samsung - Android - Galaxy Tab'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information