Monday 29 September 2008

Home Recording - mixing, mixer


The fact that is has no power button still kinda blows my mind. Imagine if your car came with no ignition and you had to connect the battery when you wanted to drive it and disconnect it to park.



I really prefer dedicated auxiliary sends, not cd/tape RCA workarounds.



That said the audio quality for $100 is jaw dropping. It produces substantially less noise than my older but feature rich mixer. The manual stated it has "first class" effects, which I took for just some PR buzz words but I have to admit they are really good. It fools the ears and really creates a dynamic space, relative to what the reality is, which is acoustically challenging to say the least. You just need a touch of gate and compression to control it. The 3 band EQ (my old mixer had 2) is icing on the cake. And it stays relatively cool. You could fry an egg on my old mixer after a couple hours of work.



So ok I'll shut up about the lack of features since I'd likely have to put down close to another $100 to get everything I'm used to and I'm on a really tight budget. I'll take those short comings for the sound quality. And it's small. It takes up substantially less real estate, always a plus on my desktop. Behringer 1202FX Xenyx Premium 12-Input 2-Bus Mixer with Xenyx Mic Preamps, British Eqs And 24-Bit Multi-Fx Processor

If you don't have it, you just don't know how bad you need it. This little device is the giant step for home studio musicians who aren't ready (or have no need) to invest a bundle in sound equipment. The 1202FX turned my 50-watt Peavey Basic bass amp into a mini-PA system. It gives you solid mic quality as well as precise guitar sound and will allow you to mix in just about anything (a drum machine, in my case) without losing any sound fidelity. On the beginner level, plugging more than two or more of anything into an amp will cost you at least 25% of your sound quality. The Behringer will astound you with the clarity and mixing ability that you can get out of even a 50-watt bass amp. The only downside is the so-called F/X, they're almost non-distinguishable, but with what this baby produces on the front end, you won't shed a tear. For about $150, it's the best investment you'll make before looking at serious long-term purchases.

Everyone's reviews are correct, but to put this into perspective, I lent my non-FX model to a friend of mine (which was a big mistake), cuz they trashed it, and a prong from the power supply that connects to the unit was bent. I purchased the 1202FX, and I never looked back. I use this for small events, and I have never gotten bad sound out of it. I rely on another Behringer mixer for my small studio. It's not what you have, it's what you do with it, and I'm proud to say I have recorded several artists (from hip-hop to R&B, to Acoustic/folk music), and the results were better than I expected.



Pick one up. . . .with it's size and ability to control every nuance in sound through analog means (pre-production), this is a great bargain.

This thing is amazing. If you are running multiple audio sources or need

a front for a DAW, this is it. Built solid, great onboard fx, warm mic pre's ...

What else do you need. It is small enough to sit on a slideout usually used for your mouse and keyboards. I love functional well made audio gear and this is it!



Jj

Bought this to use for a podcast and am amazed at the quality and versatility of this item. Sounds great for these types of applications, or recording an instrument or two at a time.



Pro's:

1. Spacesaving with small size

2. Sounds great for podcasting, acoustic, and recording small scale operations

3. Very simple, and doesn't have too much extra that I would never use.



Con's (but very small gripes)

1. No on/off button

2. Doesn't work well for large live setups (a rock band), but didn't buy it for this

3. Some of the lights on the bard are blinding bright, honestly it is hard to look at when one of them is on. Easy fix with a small piece of fabric tape or electrical tape

I own the Behringer Xenyx 1202FX, which is essentially this model but costs about 20 dollars more for the FX (it comes with 100 set effects). I have been doing home recording with Cubase and Logic, using a Presonus Firebox audio interface, with both MIDI, vocals and instruments, and didn't use a mixing board, but eventually decided to try one out given that (a) they are making them at very reasonable prices and (b) I had more inputs and outputs than the Firebox could easily handle.



This mixing board didn't look that impressive to me when I first checked it out, but having set it up and used it, it operates very well and cleanly. The fact that it comes with four mic inputs and preamps is a plus. The fact that it does not have an on/off switch is a minus. But basically it works well, the EQ is useful, and it has a large number of inputs and outputs for such a small mixer. Behringer makes a range of models with less/more inputs to suit one's needs, so this is great. Also, having a dedicated mixer makes it easier for me, as I can leave all my inputs connected and just adjust things on the mixer depending on what I want to record. Another small thing that is mixing is a button that cuts out the line altogether -- you have to turn it down to zero. And, there are no faders (except the main); instead it uses knobs for everything. Well, I would have liked some of these things, but then I would have to pay more, and what I really wanted was functionality at a good price, and that is what the Behringer Xenyx has delivered thus far.



By the way, I am running the following through the mixer: an AT3035 audiotechnica condenser mic, an Alesis QS8.1, guitar via line-in (or mic'd), two KRK RP5 studio monitors, Presonus Firebox. Everything's been working and sounding great thus far.



The effects on this mixer have not been very useful to me, since I am running Logic, but if I ever use it live, which I may do, I'd imagine they'd come in handy. The effects are just so-so in terms of sounds: usable, but not that great, in my opinion. - Home Recording - Mixers - Mixing - Mixer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • mixing
  • ,
  • mixer
  • ,
  • mixers
  • ,
  • home recording