Saturday 27 September 2008

Satellite - satellite, toshiba


I purchased this laptop three days ago and I can't put it down. I was saving for a MacBook Pro but couldn't wait any longer. This laptop almost matches the 15.4 MacBook Pro, except of course that it isn't a Mac, but this one has more memory. The back-lit keyboard and multi-function trackpad is wonderful. I am able to run two very intense graphic programs at the same time with no lag time. Make sure to make your recovery disks as soon as you open the box since it doesn't come with any restore disks. Toshiba Satellite A665-S5184 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)

Great machine and a great value for the money but no eSATA port. The specs indicate at least one USB 2.0/eSATA combo port. Bought one last week at Office Max with the expectation that I would be able to directly connect my older eSATA external drive. No such luck. The computer does has a USB 3.0 port so I had to buy a BYTECC eSATA to USB 3.0 adapter from Amazon (which by the way works great) to retain the speed of the eSATA connection.



The machine is noticibly faster than my 6 month old i3-350 Toshiba. I will give it 5 stars because of the outstanding value even though the lack of a direct connect eSATA port was a small problem.

This is my first Toshiba, and I'm impressed. The speed of the i7 quad core is awesome. Extended keyboard is extreamly comfortable. Multitouch pad gives you extra funcionalities. It's perfect for my need, I do computer programming and works like a charm for my environment. I don't do games neither heavy graphic intensive applications, so on board video is more than enough for me. USB 3.0/eSATA port is ultra fast, I bought also a Seagate usb 3.0 external disc, I get peaks of 100MB/s and average of 70MB/s copying big files.

Definitively I would recommend this laptop. Looks also is really nice. I can't believe I paid less than 1000 USD for these machine. Very happy customer over here :)

Gave this to my daughter as a gift. Very pleased. I set it up for her; and runs smooth. Minimal bloatware, and I liked the solid keyboard, extended battery, specifications are excellent. bought this model so the can use the wireless display with a TV. Remember though this benefit is limited because it won't streamline copyrighted DVDs. Otherwise excellent features...

User: medium to high end user. Use: video editing, word processing, web navigation, daily use (work and home).

It is a very nice laptop: delivers modern technology for a fair price. 2nd generation Core i7 quad core helps video editing as ram memory do.

Display is big enough to work daily ad yet relatively easy to carry, although it's definition could be better (1600 X 900), specially for viewing blu ray movies.

Speakers are better than most laptops I have seen so far, but still could be a bit louder (it can be difficult to listen to it in a noisier environment - if you record audio louder, is OK for laptop).

Keyboard is nice, although at the beginning it felt a little strange for typing. It has numpad which I find dispensable. A good thing is a button to disable mouse pad so as not to interfering on the typing process, but I did not have this problem with it (did not need to disable it to type my annotations at university).

Battery has an excellent performance for the display size and laptop performance: about seven to eight hours in eco mode. Other outstanding feature is having spare battery for sale (not common from others brands like MSI or Asus.

Hard disk has a good size (500 GB), but it runs at 5400 rpm: it could be faster, but maybe it would compromise battery autonomy. Maybe the new Hybrid seagate could be an option or SSD. I feel sorry this laptop does not handle two hard disks: I would give five stars. HD is placed in a separate and accessible slot that make its change very easy.

Webcam image is good. Audio recording is very good. It is not a noisy laptop nor quiet. I did not get hot so far.



Negative:

No Bluetooth

10/100 LAN port (does not bother me)

better hardware info: I could not discover the motherboard's hard disk sata interface: sata 300 (3 gbps) ou 600 (6 gbps)?

Conclusion: very nice purchase for about US$ 1000,00, but it would be outstanding if it improves display resolution, have sata 600 interface. Bluetooth would be OK. A laptop that could match this would be customized 17" HP with two HDs and good battery autonomy for about US$ 1600,00. - Toshiba - Satellite - 15'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • satellite
  • ,
  • 15
  • ,
  • toshiba