Monday 29 March 2010

46 Inch - 120hz, lcd


A good TV at a very good price; it does have a couple of issues, which may be no big deal for you, depending on your needs.



Good: The picture is very good, comparable to much more expensive sets, in both standard and high definition. The 120Hz refresh does make a difference, although if, like me, you're accustomed to the slight jitter of high-speed motion on a 60Hz set the smooth motion will seem a little unnatural at first!



It has a good selection of input ports. No real internet connectivity, but I figure that functionality will be obsolete in a couple of year anyway, so it makes more sense for that to be built into a dedicated component or blue-ray player or something similar in any event.







Bad: Power cord is hardwired into the back of the set, rather than being detachable - that was a real nuisance when I was trying to run the cables. More importantly, the internal speakers are pretty poor. Compounding this problem, it has neither analog audio out nor a headphone jack! If your external speaker system/receiver takes digital optical SPDIF ("Toslink"?) connections (most recent ones do), you're good - otherwise you'll need an adapter (Somthing like this: Digital Audio To Analog Audio Converter, although mine is still on order so I can't vouch for it yet.)



Still, if you want really good sound, no flat-panel will deliver that, and you could add a $200 soundbar to this to get a system that will have as good a picture and much better sound than more expensive sets. If you already have a good sound system (especially one with optical inputs), this is a very good option for the money. Toshiba 46G300U 46-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (Black Gloss)

Just bought this tv 5 days ago and love it. I used to sell tv's and best buy and circuit city. So i know how toshibas are. they might not be the tv with the most features but definitely you can't beat the quality and price. I looked at many different sets and this one is just an awesome value. Are there better tv's out there? yeah of course. But for the price you can't beat it. It's just awesome. The 120hz on this is very good. The black levels are awesome. It's really thin for being a normal lcd thats in a midrange category.

I purchased this TV about a month ago and have put it through its paces and I must say that for the price I paid ($599 at a local dealership that matched Fry's weekend price)I am pleasantly surprised. The picture is superb and running 1080p Blue Ray discs are incredible. Little loss of signal using high-end HDMI connects however sound is a bit disappointing. I would tend to agree with other reviewers stating that there's a great deal of sound loss using DVDs or games (PS3 and XBox 360). As per the norm, this was solved with a good surround sound system and is no longer an issue. The sound isn't horrible; it just isn't wonderful... it's perfectly adequate for normal TV viewing and only suffers when playing from another source. Blacks are absolutely deep enough for the average user and shouldn't be a cause for concern in the least. Response time is good, the 120Hz helps a bit but does have a tendency to make things appear "soap-opera-ish" when viewing. You can turn the 120Hz off if you prefer...it didn't bother me enough to change the settings. Factory settings are ok- brightness was set appropriately and while I could have left the settings as-is, I had to play with them to get the perfect picture in my mind. Toshibas tend to shade toward the red side so I simply compensated for this idiosyncrasy through the settings and made it a little "cooler" for my preferences. Set-up was a snap- I had it out of the box, set-up and playing in less than 5 minutes. In terms of the stand being kind of flimsy, that's true. But as long as you're not in a position where someone (kids??) could knock the thing over, I don't see this as much of a problem. If you do have this concern- attach it to your wall and it won't be an issue. The thing even shows analog programming without much of a problem which is commonly an issue with some manufacturers. The remote is pretty intuitive with settings easily found, especially if you actually read the owner's manual and learn what you're doing. I would highly recommend this set and give it an overall 4.5 out of 5.



UPDATE: I have owned this television for about 2 months now and have learned a few things that I would like to share. First of all, I am still thrilled with the performance of the television and have to look hard to find something to complain about. In fact, I really have no complaints. The loss of sound volume when changing sources to either Blue-Ray or any of my gaming systems from the cable source is a bit annoying but can be solved by simply increasing/decreasing the volume on the TV. Since I'm running a surround-sound system and rarely use the actual TV volume, it's not much of a concern to me personally but could irritate someone using the TV exclusively for sound. Even with the 120Hz running full-time (it can be switched to a 60Hz setting) I still see ghosting/chopping from certain programs, most notably a golf ball in flight or a long pass in football. No problems with hockey, surprisingly, nor with basketball. I have started using the USB hook-up and love it for everything from my IPod to anything else that I can source from a USB hook. The menu, after careful review, is very user-friendly and in terms of changing settings,etc. offers simplicity at its finest. The remote is a pleasure to use and is extremely intuitive when it comes to settings changes. The computer serial-port hook-up is acceptable, but when you use the HDMI input for your computer, it's amazing. Nothing better than an computer-HDMI hook-up and something like Hulu, TV.com or YouTube on the Toshiba. Takes my computing experiences to a completely different level... I hardly ever use my monitor anymore. I still wholeheartedly recommend this unit, especially if you can get it on the cheap. - Lcd - 46 Inch - 120hz - Hdtv'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • lcd
  • ,
  • 120hz
  • ,
  • hdtv
  • ,
  • 46 inch