Monday 29 March 2010

Kindle Accessory - cable, usb


I bought this to charge my Motorola Droid (A855), and it works perfectly. I attached it to the original wall-plug-to-USB adapter that came with the phone and it's compatible with that too. If you already have lots of Mini-USB cables, you can buy this Mini to Micro adapter that has also worked to charge my Droid OEM Motorola MicroUSB USB EMU MU Adapter for RAZR2 V8 V9 V9m Q9h model SKN6252. USB 2.0 A Male to Micro USB Male Cable (6 Feet)

I wanted a second USB cable for my new Kindle DX, a cable I would keep in the office for use in transferring the business documents I bought the Kindle to hold. I looked for the cheapest USB A-to-Micro-B cable I could find on Amazon. This is it.



I wanted it mainly for transfer, not charging; some USB cables do not include the charging component, I have read, and I figured that, being so low priced, this one might not. So when I got this, and connected for the first time, and saw that it does the charging too, I was even more pleased.



[...]



A simple, low priced, does-it-all cable. Perfect deal for Kindle 2 and Kindle DX users looking for an additional or replacement USB cable.

I bought this cable to replace the stock cable that comes with the HTC Evo 4G because the stock cable is not long enough to reach my night stand from the nearest outlet. I have always used my cell phones as my alarm clock, so I was disapointed to find out the stock cable was not long enough. Not a huge deal, since I like to have spare cables around the house anyway. I'm not exactly sure why this cable does not charge the Evo. It fits good, the charge light comes on, but after a night of sleep, the phone has no more power than it did when I went to bed. Is it because the cable is too long? Or is it just cheaply made? I dont know. Just dont buy it for an HTC Evo 4G.

I was encouraged to buy this cable based on the numerous positive reviews. I was excited about a longer cord!



Unfortunately purchasing this product has been a decision I regret.



My phone (HTC EVO 4G) will not charge using this cable (either plugged into a computer USB port or a USB port of a wall charger). The cable that comes with my phone will charge it from completely empty to full in approximately 3 hours. I had this cable plugged into my phone at 80% (the charging light on my phone indicated it was charging)for 6 hours and it decreased to 40%. Out of nowhere my phone shut off and would not start until I plugged it into a different cable. When the phone finally restarted, I checked my app that tracks battery life (Battery Graph) and somehow at the 6 hour mark of being plugged into this cable, the battery level had shot down to zero from 40% in just one minute.



Now I'm pretty bummed and in hopes that this cable didn't permanently damage my phone.

This cable works great with my Motorola Droid. Length is exactly 6 feet. I wonder if some of the people complaining about the length bought their cable from a different seller? Mine is from "CiTi Electronics".



The cable is not as thin and flimsy as the dollar cables on e-bay. The thicker cable adds a little bulk, but I expect it will be more durable and less prone to electrical interference. For the price, I could not have expected any more from this cable. Even the shipping was cheap. I bought 3 cables for less than ten dollars shipped.

This is a generic 'Type A to Micro B' USB cable. It will work with third generation Kindles (possibly with second gens too but I don't have one to verify), Blackberries such as Bold or Storm, many of the newer phones and other gadgets. I needed one of these to connect one camera to the computer because I lost the original when someone 'found' my camera case. It works.



On this specific cable, it is USB 2.0 certified, meaning that it supports data transfer rates of up to 480 Mbps and, if your device accepts a standard Micro-B plug, this is the one to get. Maybe the 2-meter length (6+ ft.) is a little too long but it does not bother me a lot and there may come a time when a cable this long may come in handy.



I am awarding this item 5 stars mostly for the low price. It's low enough to make it easy for anyone concerned about quality to buy two.



______________________________________________



Notes:



Anyone in the market for a USB cable should be very careful because there are at least 6 kinds of USB connectors. If you are buying a cable that connects 'something' to your computer or laptop, the computer end of the cable will always be a USB-A or 'Type A' connector. At the other end, you may have a USB-B/Type B - a nearly square shaped connector used mostly to deliver power to a device but this is rare. Most likely, you will have a Mini-B or a Micro-B. The difference between the 2 is that the Micro-B is half as thick while the width is the same - Mini-B is 3x7mm while Micro-B is 1.5x7mm.



If your device (phone, PDA, camera) is a later model (post 2009-10) and it's using USB, chances are that they will need a Micro-B connector because the industry seems to be adopting the 'Micro' form factor as its standard. If the above sounds simple, you should keep in mind that some devices require Mini-AB or Micro-AB connectors, also known as USB OTG (OnTheGo) devices.



My advice: before ordering any cable, make sure that you clearly understand what type of cable you need. Whenever in doubt, do some more research, beginning with the product's manual. - Droid - Usb - Motorola Droid - Cable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information