Sunday 28 March 2010

Book Recommendations - grooming, groooming


Excellent book that shows exactly how to bathe, groom and clip Show & Pet Poodles. Nice illustrations and pictures for all of the poodle clips. Includes what scissors, clipper, shampoos and other grooming aids to buy. After using this book, I had the confidence to buy professional clippers (I am an amateur) and clip my own Standard Poodle (whom, btw, looks terrific!). I first learned of the book from the library and told my husband we had to own this! *I wish that every breed of dog that needs to be groomed had such an excellent book as this!* Poodle Clipping and Grooming: The International Reference (Howell Reference Books)

I got the 2001 edition for Christmas, as I wanted to learn to groom my own standard poodle. We have survived two clips together since then, and I feel much more confident. This book helped me get the courage to tackle my own grooming and taught me TONS about clippers, blades, scissors, combs, brushes, techniques, etc. It is clear, concise, no-nonsense and pretty idiot proof based on the fact that I can still take my dog in public and she still looks like a poodle! This author was recommended to me by five poodle groomers and it is pretty clear to me that they knew this was pick of the litter.

Everything you ever wanted to know about grooming your poodle, from clippers, hairdryers, grooming tables, trimming your dog's nails (*easy*, if you use a Dremel grinder!), pet clips, US/CA show clips, International pet and show clips (truly wonderful stuff there) to advice on setting up your own grooming salon and participating in grooming contests.I now have my second poodle - a show dog - and I'm doing all the basic grooming on her. A miracle, considering that I never laid scissors on a dog before May (and it's now October). I do have a "poodle mentor" who I love dearly - she has taught me much. But I learn well from books, and Kalstone's is excellent. I spent so much time and money schlepping my dear departed one back and forth to and from the groomers - I wish I'd known just how *easy* grooming can be.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It is a must for both professional groomers and for poodle owners who want to groom their pet themselves. There is a wealth of information here which is essential for the proper care of poodles. The selection and care of equipment is expertly detailed and explained. Instructions and illustrations abound not only for clipping, but also the proper care of the eyes, ears and nails is given, in addition to the extensive sections on clipping and caring for both pet clips as well as show coats. I would like to thank the authors for sharing their decades of experience and presenting it in such a well-organized and easy-to-understand manner. Thank you!

Profusely laden with photographs and illustrations, this book is a must have for the serious poodle ethusiast. The reader is taken step by step from the basics of trimming techniques on to the most complicated show trims. It is an excellent reference and "hands on" book. Additionally, suppliers are listed for all the necessary tools and supplies. While it won't replace an actual 3-dimensional grooming seminar, it is a most excellent 2-dimensional tutorial.

I planned to take my poodle to a groomer, but a breeder friend talked me into trying it myself with Kalstone's book in hand. We had wonderful results! ...this reference will save you money, and the agony of bad poodle cuts! Plus, I didn't realize how fun poodle grooming can be. It was a real bonding experience between me and my dog.

This book is a great book for poodle owners and groomers who want to learn to groom their dogs and in the process save a great deal of money. Grooming a standard poodle (the largest of the breed) could run $65 and up depending on the cut you have done. This book covers ear and paw care, shampooing and a wide variety of both show and pet clips. Other chapters cover the multitude of clippers, guides and scissors available for poodle grooming. This book is a must for owners of alll three sizes and fans of poodles.

I chose this book because it has been known as the gold standard in poodle grooming books for many years. I am just beginning to groom my two standard poodles and this book is very helpful. It covers trimmers and other grooming equipment thoroughly and has a great chart that explains what type of cut each numbered blade provides, for five different brands of trimmers. It includes almost every type of cut you might consider giving your poodle and each cut has great photographs and/or black and white drawings that help you visiualize what you are doing. The book also has seperate sections for how to groom feet, topknot, tail, face, stomach and ears- I have refered to these chapters many times and they have very helpful instructions and tips. I would highly recommend this book, it will be the only one you need-its so complete. Many people are surprised to find that I am grooming my own dogs and they often comment that the dogs look like they went to a professional.

This book is awesome. The step by step instructions and photos helped guide me through from clipping...bathing...brushing...getting the right equipments down to trims... it's a helpful tool for novices and pro groomers alike. Trust me, it's a wise investment and worth every dollar spent. So for those of you who have it in their hearts to bond and groom your pet and show poodle... this book is it! - Clipping - Poodle - Groooming - Grooming'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • clipping
  • ,
  • groooming
  • ,
  • grooming
  • ,
  • poodle