Friday 26 March 2010

Contractor - contractor, table saw


I ordered this saw to meet an immediate remodeling job requirement. I was astounded that Amazon got it to me in two days where others were quoting more than a week. The saw assembled easily and the initial setup was straight forward and alignments correct. It definitely meets the "portable" standard and the rolling stand is among the best I've seen. Overall, I've given it five stars for its combination of quality, portability and competitive price among saws with comparable features. DEWALT DW744XRS 10-inch Job Site Table Saw with Rolling Stand

This is the second time I bought this saw. I am a contractor and just plain wore the first one out. Had a lot of problems in the end keeping the fence aligned. But still the best portable saw out there for my purposes. What I would say about the rolling stand is that it ads a LOT of weight to the saw. I bought the side and rear table extensions (DW7441). Problem is, with the rolling stand, when you fold it up and stand it on end to roll it, the side extension slides out and hits the floor! (very frustrating) Called Dewalt tech support to report obvious design oversight, (am sure they immediately called a meeting with R and D) and to hear the obligatory appology for the trouble I was having with no remedy (or understanding) of the problem. Overall a decent saw as far as portable saws go.

I have several DeWalt tools because of their quality. This was my latest addition because of the rack and pinion fence, mobile base and available outfeeds (DW7441) making it a great job site tool.



I do however concur with one previous rater, you MUST check the accuracy of the gauge. Though it says it's calibrated at the factory, mine was off. Minor and easily adjusted.



It's not a light saw, but the mobile base rolls great once you have the saw mounted to the base.



Highly recommend it!

Before I purchased this saw I was looking at the Bosch and Rigid saws that came with stands. When I saw this one the choice was clear for me. For the same rip capacity this saw takes up a lot less space in my van and I prefer the rack and pinion fence. I received the saw and was not disappointed. Setup was straightforward and easy. The starter blade was acceptable. My fence was accurate but I still checked it. Not much to say but the saw is solid and jobsite conditions ready. You would have a hard time matching this combo of saw and stand. I was also impressed by Amazon getting it to my door quicker than local distributor could get it. I've had my saw 6 months and I still haven't seen this combo in town.

I bought this saw for a recent job and it performed excellently. The saw has a great fence that works flawlessly and was easy to adjust. People seem to complain that it is out of alignment but it only takes 15 seconds to adjust which was no big problem. The saw has great power for ripping 2x's and plastic trim. Used it with a delta dado set and was a little underpowered but it was what I expected. The depth of adjustment works very nice so does the bevel adjustments. The riving knife is really nicely designed so that it can be adjusted very easily. The guard looks nice and seems sturdy but I don't use it. In a nutshell it is very comparable to a contractors saw but smaller.



The stand is also very nice. Large tires, nice handle and it serves its purpose. It is really easily to put together and folds up very nicely.



Coming from a framer it is a very nice saw that comes in handy more than you would think. Highly recommended and add a freud 24 tooth thin rip blade and it is amazing. Leave Nu questions in the comment box and ill get back to very quickly

I have owned four DeWalt Table Saws.I use one for about 4-5 years and sell it,purchase a new one.I owned a Mikita as my first table saw.I tried a DeWalt and went for it because it is a bettter saw and easier to use with the rack and pinion.A DeWalt weighs less then the other mentioned saw and this makes a difference when you go jobing and have to carry the saw up five flights of stairs and down every day,or in and out of a work site.I also have a 12 in DeWalt Slide Saw,double bevel.My fourth.I have never had a DeWalt Product let me down on a JOB.

I like the quality of Dewalt tools and when I needed a new Table saw for some home improvement projects I have been holding off on I decided to purchase this item. I had a very similar table saw I purchased a few years ago by a major brand but the alignment fence was junk. It would pop off at the slightest pressure and even using clamps to attempt to hold it in place failed.

I now have new things I want to do around the house so I ordered this table saw since Dewalt makes great products and especially because of the rack and pinion fence. Everything about this saw is well built and vary accurate. I tested after my first few cuts after reading previous reviews but mine was dead on.

As a bonus it was nice that the saw is more quiet than I expected. I am satisfied with it enough that I am looking for more projects to do just so I can use this saw.

I bought this saw to replace a Delta Contractors saw and am really happy with it. The saw does need minor adjustment after it is out of the box, but it works solidly once setup. The rolling stand that converts to use as a work stand is well designed and as good as the De Walt mitre saw stand I also have. Well designed system and easy to use.

As a contractor I have 2 of these saws that get plenty of use and abuse. They are used outdoors a lot and sometimes get rained on and don't skip a beat(we don't oporate them in the rain). The stand and rip fence are worth the extra costs over other brands. In this price range I haven't seen another brand with a comparable fence. The only other contractor saw that comes close overall is the Bosch 4100.

You do have to keep in mind that these aren't made for fine cabinetry work, they are for job site work, ripping the last strip of flooring, ripping filler panels for kitchen cabinets(hidden cut face), extention jambs, etc... They do a very good job of it. They also oporate much smoother than the cheap brands which makes a big difference when cutting tapers free hand. Of course with a little thought you can use these for fine work on small parts, ditch the mitre gauge and build a sled, a couple of dollars in material and a little bit of time will net you the ability to make cuts that rival what the best full size saws can muster. Slop in the mitre gauge isn't what stops me from using it anyway, it's the small size at 6" or so they don't support work very well and are too far from the blade for short pieces.



Over all this saw is the best when it comes to yanking it out of the truck and making a quality cut within seconds of plugging it in. Before getting these I usually found myself using the circular saw if I only had one rip to make, because the other brands I had were too tedious to set up. The other style of fence is so bad I still haven't lost the urge to measure front to back on the fence everytime I adjust it. But so far the DeWalt stays true time after time. - Contractor - Portable - Table Saw - Portable Table Saw'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information