Monday 29 March 2010

Power Tool Accessories - corded rotary tools, hobby tool


Many people may be wondering if they should get Dremel 4000 for their holiday gifts and have been looking for detailed reviews so here is my contribution.



I received my Dremel 4000 a month ago and so far used it for moderate work with cutting and shaping sheet metal (soup cans etc) and very light work with drilling and shaping plastic. So far it's been working great. 4000 works fine with all the speed setting as they advertise. It seems like they solved the problem with the lower speed setting. The speed changes in a little increments rather than smooth transitions. In a way, it feels a bit like digital but I see no problem here.



My only complaint is its size and weight. Probably it's OK for rough work but for detailed work it strains my hand after some time (my hands are small). It probably makes sense to invest on flex shaft and foot pedal if you are going to do a lot of detail work with this machine. The engraver's handle that comes with this particular set adds more grip options but it's a bit flimsy so it's only good for very light work.



4000 is a really big machine. It's thicker than XPR and way longer than any previous models I've seen. Probably the speed feedback circuitry and new cooling system required this added size. The balance is quite a bit awkward when I hold the machine like a pen to do detail work. The engraver's handle does not really solve the bad balance either.



In the higher speed, it is quite loud. It gives off high pitch sound like you are in dentist's office even without any tool attached on it. I can stand it but for some people it can be quite annoying. I recommend having earplugs handy. It also blows a lot of air from the vents- I guess it's a good thing for keeping the motor cool.



They say they designed 4000 according to the user feedbacks and I can see they are reflected in everywhere. In doing so it seems like they went back to basics, which I think is the right move. I appreciate they went back to more basic shape and moved away from XPR kind of design. I never used XPR but when I handled it at Home-depot the peculiar body shape felt awkward and tend to limit the way you can hold it.



I can see that there are a lot of thoughts went into the new carrying case as well. I am so happy that they forwent the ridiculously bulky toolbox type case (such as the one came with XPR). It did not only took so much space, its bubbly shape refused to fit in a shelf or stacking any other things on them. Also I did not like that the tools were stored in the fragile plastic box attached outside of the main case. That's asking for disaster. The toolbox tended to break easily and I had to fix it with duct tape or keep the tools inside of the main compartment. Now Dremel 4000 comes in a more standard but nice thin briefcase type case. It slides right into my shelves and does not take up too much space. The toolbox is also stored securely inside of the main compartment. The handle feels nice and the plastic latches on this case also feel pretty sturdy. The only thing I wish it had was a tool block that I can stick tools in for quick access, but this I can make my own by drilling little holes in a wood block and it will be nicer than the one they make with plastic anyways.



I don't like when designers go too creative and forget about functionality in utility tools. I think it is important to stick with "form follows function" philosophy and not the other way. With Dremel 4000 it is apparent that they tired to keep the usability to its first priority.



I am not a big fun of power tools that look like straight out from Star Trek. Why designers these days are so compelled to make rotary tools or even toothbrushes look like tricked out Nike shoes is beyond my comprehension. I miss old tools that looked like tools.



I also looked at the Proxxon and with such good reviews I was almost going to go with it. The reviewers say Proxxon is more solidly build and quieter than Dremel. Even this Dremel's latest model 4000 is still lacking in that department. I've never seen Proxxon myself so I can't say but for me the deal breaker was that the Proxxon's "Professional" model could not take a keyless chuck. A keyless chuck makes so much difference in productivity when you have to change tools often. Also Dremel and their attachments are cheaper and more readily available in US market. Dremel 4000 is not perfect but I think it's performance is solid.



The most important thing to remember using Dremel is not to put too much pressure on it but let it's speed and tool do the job. You have to make a number of light passes rather than try to push it with one shot with your force. I didn't know about this when I was using my first Dremel and only after a few months the motor started spin really loud and hot. Nonetheless it never completely quit working and withstood my 6 years of abuse. This time I will be more careful and hopefully my 4000 lasts longer. Dremel 4000-6/50 120-Volt Variable-Speed Rotary Kit - Hobby Tool - Hand Tools - Hobby - Corded Rotary Tools'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information