Sunday 28 March 2010

Stop Watch - swimming, stop watch


I'm a novice swimmer and hope this will make me get better faster. I've had two 900 yard swims with it so far and will try to follow up with future reviews as I get more accustomed to this device.



Basic facts of note as of 2 swims:

1) It counts 1 pool length as a lap. It got 34 of 36 laps correct, including all of my second swim; I believe this is because I "glided" further after coming off the wall the second session.



2) It works for both "flip" and basic turn-around-and-go-the-other-way turns like I do.



3) It will set up as yard or meters (earlier versions did not).



4) It does NOT download to any type of computer program including the one advertised on the website. You have to manually enter the data.



5) You cannot look at the lap counter while swimming. Not only is the readout a little small, but when you stop your stroke it may cause the computer to think you've changed stroke or done another lap. You could check between laps (while "gliding"), but you would probably have to stop.



6) It figures out the type of stroke automatically, but changing mid-lap will cause it to miss a lap or have invalid data.



7) When you finish a set or a split, you hit the "start" button. Thus, the lap time worked perfectly even if the lap count was off.



8) The pause function is great. It counts your rest, hit start, and your off on your next set. This function was absent from most of the counters I researched, so you had to reset the counter and lose data or count your rest time in your overall time.



In summary, if you mainly want to keep track of laps, go for something more basic. If tracking all the data keeps you motivated (like me) this device seems good so far, but you have to manually transfer the data or use it within the watch itself which is clunky. Swimovate Pool-Mate Swimming Computer Lap Counter Watch Gray

I have had the watch for the last 2 weeks, 5 trainings in total. Considering the cost < 100 bucks, it a great deal. I was looking for something to help me keep my laps count in long workouts (>1000 yds). The watch does the job without complaint. It claims to be precise above 99%, at least is more precise than me.



In addition it provides your average strokes, your speed (avg. seconds to cover 100 yrds) and Efficiency (a combination of both).



The manual is simple, but not really useful when reviewing the log section, to get out just keep pressing the start button.



CONS



The screen for me is quite small, will be waiting for a new model with a larger screen.

I am swimming 10,000-14,000 yards 4 days per week and was very tired of counting laps. I got this watch at the end of October and was a little skeptical but I can tell you it does EXACTLY what it says it will do.



I don't have to count laps anymore, the only button pushing is at the start and end of sets, not laps, it keeps track of total laps, calories, speed, stroke efficiency, total yards, yards per set, strokes per lap, it truly is amazing what the watch does.



There are a couple of little things I wish it did differently which is why I gave it 4 stars rather than 5. I wish it flipped through the data sets differently, I wish there was a light (not for use in the pool), The start stop button could be bigger/centered on the face of the watch, etc... but this is a pretty new product that will improve as the years go by.



If you are a serious swimming pool lap swimmer, In my opinion you shouldn't be swimming without this watch!!!

This watch has worked fine for me regarding the laps count, however 8 months later I'm still trying to understand a lot of its functions. The instructions "book" is very poor so you will have to figure out by yourself how does it work. Another thing is that I bought the pink one, an after the first use in the pool it became yellow, and the worst thing about it is that the yellow color is not the same over the whole strap. It looks now multicolor with some parts bright pink, some other dark pink and the rest of it in different tones of yellows and pinks.

I love having the support for lap counting. It does a great job for the basics. I think it may have under-counted one or two laps on a 2K workout.



It could be a little more user friendly - intuitive with the options.

I would love to have it upload data to my computer.

I love this watch. It makes swimming laps so much easier as I no longer have to count. I just look down occassionally and check my progress. No more counting in my head. I have only had once incident where it missed a pool length, otherwise the accuracy is great.

This watch does everything advertised. I no longer have to count laps when I swim, I just go and look at the watch occasionally. The only time it has not counted laps correctly is if I stop halfway across for some reason, but that is my fault and I dont blame the watch for that. Like the Garmin, it is another tool that makes excercising more enjoyable.

I bought this because I'm sick of counting laps on my long distance days.



I took it out today for the first time. I tried swimming at different paces and changing up flip turns versus touch turns. I even tried hanging out at the wall (drinking from my water bottle etc). I couldn't fool the thing. I've tried using the Sportcount finger counter, but it was too uncomfortable and I kept forgetting to push the button. The Swimovate makes it so much easier!



While it does more than simply count, I figure that all the other features are a bit superfluous. The 100 meter average is a nice feature.



I dinged this product a star because it lacks two features that I think it should have. Since the primary reason I purchased this product is so I can swim without interference, it's annoying to have to check my time to see how long I've been swimming. I wish it had a countdown timer. In addition to this, I'd like to be able to set how many laps I'd like to do, say 2 miles, then have it beep when I'm done.



The styling isn't why I purchased this watch. That said, I still wish the band wasn't so dainty.



As a lap counter, it works extremely well. It could bear some improvement in later models, but I wouldn't let that stop you from getting one if you swim long distance.



**I just dropped another star from this review because I think the method of operation is far too confusing. I've worn this thing every day for the last couple of months, and I'm still confused about how to scroll through the different workouts or how to get back to the regular time from the log without deleting the workouts in memory. I still have no idea what the two buttons on the right side do!



I still recommend the product to my friends, but I think Swimovate needs to iron out a simplified method of operation. - Stop Watch - Swimming - Training Aids'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information