Friday 26 March 2010

Faucet Water Filters - pur, faucet water filters


I've been a previous owner of a faucet mount PUR filter that lasted for over 4 years before it finally broke. I purchased this particular model thinking that it would also last, but I was disappointed. A couple of months later, it deveolped a hairline crack just below the filter indicator. I thought I just might have accidentally hit the housing, so I purchased the same model again. Well, this same crack appeared, and now I have contacted P&G. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a different brand. PUR 3-Stage Vertical Faucet Mount Chrome FM-3700B

So this is my second PUR water filter mount. Both were this same model. Right out of the package they work great. It's not entirely necessary as our water is already clean out of the faucet, but it does remove any particulates that may reside in the distribution piping and home piping, as well as removing the chlorine residual that is in most tap water. After about a year, coincidentally just as the one year warranty expires, the valve that bridges between the faucet and the filter begins to degrade. Now even when the filter is turned off, water still flows through the valve and through the filter thereby dramatically decreasing the lifespan of the filter since water is always flowing through it. This is a POOR engineering design that should have been addressed by this company. This is the reason why I'm giving it one star. I figured my first filter was just a fluke, but this problem was confirmed yet again on my second filter.



My recommendation:

1) Go for a faucet mount that you don't have to physically turn to activate. I feel that the repetitive action of turning this up and down multiple times a day leads to premature fatigue of this product.

2) Don't worry so much about ancillary features like lights, etc. The filter is what you should be concerned about since this is what is polishing your water.

3) Look for NSF Certification. NSF 42 is for aesthetic effects. Even better is the NSF 53 is for removing health related contaminants. NSF 58 is for reverse osmosis filters which removes even more chemicals than the 53, however I feel this is a bit overkill for a home filter.

4) Go for a product that has at least a 3 year warranty. That way you don't have to keep spending $30+/- every year on the same darn product. I'm surprised that this product has a 5 year warranty when the same model in my local Home Depot only had a one year warranty.



After doing some more research, I've found this product here:

Bestfilters Countertop Superior Water Filter System - White - with 1 Micron Carbon Block Water Filter

Price isn't too bad and it is certified for NSF 53. The KX Matrikx PB1 filter has an ABSOLUTE pore size of 1 micron, which removes giardia and cryptosporidium as these guys are larger in size than 1 micron. Be careful of filters that claim a NOMINAL pore size of 1 micron as these can let 20-30% of particles greater than 1 micron through.



Hope this helps.

I was pleasantly surpised to see just how easily this filter installed on my kitchen faucet. Although I had great tasting water before its installation, I feel better now knowing that the water is "cleaner" than before. There are only two drawbacks that I see, namely, the filter often gets in the way when filling a pot for on the stove, and the replacement filters are not cheap---they each cost about as much as HALF the price of the original filter system. I have had my filter system for a bit more than three months, and the replacement indicator just became visible...time to spend money for a new filter cartridge!

While the filtered water from the Pur system tastes great it just isn't worth the hassle. After trying both vertical and horizontal styles I have given up on Pur. I have been through 5 of them and none has lasted through more than 3 filters. The unit will start leaking and spraying all over the kitchen and since it is entirely plastic there is no way to repair them. I personally have had good luck with contacting Pur. Twice they replaced the unit at no cost but the replacements broke within a couple of months. But replacing shouldn't be the answer. I don't know what to buy next as every other brand seems to have similar problems. And the companies don't seem to be trying to find a solution to the defects.

I've been using this product for almost two years and it's been kind of a rough ride. The water tastes great and the cartridges usually last at least two months for my family, and we drink a lot of water.



The problem lies in the construction of the unit itself. I have to replace the little rubber o-ring inside the hinge of the filter unit every two months or so as it begins to tear and allows the faucet to leak considerably. Also, a leak has formed at the edge of the life indicator window, threatening to shoot the user in the abdomen every time the filter is used.



The water is great. The cardridges last an acceptable amount of time but are expensive (as are they all.) The construction is somewhat shoddy and you'll want to replace yours within a year or two.

The product has been working great for 7 months, then it started leaking below the filter indicator. I went online to check the warranty information. Instead of offering a 5 year warranty (as is advertised), the PUR website now says that this product only has a 1 year warranty. We'll see how the return process goes.



Somehow, the filter releases little white specs into the water it filters. I thought it was supposed to remove visible specs... It sure makes me question its effective.

Like many others here, I've had a problem with this product cracking and leaking in the same spot (near the "Filter Life Monitor").



I have purchased 2 of these now in succession, both had the same defect.



The first developed a leak after the first replacement filter, right at the little window where you can monitor the filter life.



Because I had bought a 3 pack of replacment filters I decided to try again, perhaps the first leak was a fluke.



The second experienced a leak in the same spot-- on the first filter.Once these things are leaking you are mixing filtered water with unfiltered and what is the point?



I've read reviews dating back at least 4 years from customers having the same problem.



If there is a defect or a problem in manufacturing it doesn't look like Pur (and Proctor and Gamble) is addressing it.



I guess I'll try the pitcher style filter, I most likely won't be purchasing a Pur model.



I've used Brita before for the pitcher style and they seem to work fine.



It really is too bad that the thing doesn't work, because otherwise the design and price and installation all seem to be as advertised on the box. - Green 3 - Pur - Pur Purifier - Faucet Water Filters'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information