Tuesday 30 March 2010

Power Tools - cordless drills, power tools


While I admit that I was a little concerned about the compact design of this drill, I was glad to give it a try in light of Amazon's return policy. However, this drill is not going anywhere. Like many other cordless drill owners I got to that place where purchasing replacement batteries was almost as much as purchasing a new drill with two batteries. I used it to for driving some 3.5" framing screws and drywalled a bathroom, laundry room, and small hallway. It has plenty of power and balances well in the hand. The LED light is also a nice enhancement for dark corners in tight workplaces. DEWALT DC742KA Cordless 12-Volt 3/8-Inch Compact Drill/Driver

Well balanced and nice weight at 3.8 pounds, it is only 7 ounces heavier than the 9.6V it replaced (probably 10 years old). Work light is useful. Love the chuck. My old 9.6V Dewalt was 'grip strength' and I sometimes didn't crank it enough such that it would open if I reversed and there was tension on the bit in the wood. The new models have a ratchet chuck that is easy to tighten.



The 12V cost little more than 2 new batteries for the 9.6V it replaced and it came with 2 batteries, not a difficult decision to get the 12V. In fact, two 9.6V batteries cost 10% MORE than a new 9.6V drill WITH 2 batteries. Go figure. The Dewalt chargers are 'interchangeable'. Multiple voltages (7.2 to 18V) and the batteries for the 12V have the same 'plug' configuration as the old 9.6V so I have 2 batteries AND two chargers.



This drill has only 1 'holder' for screwdriver bits. Not a big deal, but I did like the "one on either side" bit storage on the 9.6V.

It meets all expectations. Nothing significant will disappoint you with one caveat. There is a small light that comes on when the trigger is slightly depressed. It does not light the tip area of the driver as it should. The chuck casts a shadow exactly where you need the light. I seldom need the light but when I do it isn't there. It may work better if you can use an extension. If the light is important to you it will be your only disappointment.

Iv owned this drill for over 6 years if your looking for a drill that can do all your household needs look no further. I know its not an 18v like everyone raves about. but its light and well balanced. I dropped it many time. Iv drilled thou hardened steel with 3/8 bits and its never failed me yet. Its been a great companion iv used allot of 18v before and this thing is much eraser on the arm. of course more battery swamping but after completing a deck a few swaps is no big deal if your arm is not tired. Other thoughts i have a 14.4 hammer dewalt for larger jobs again that thing and do anything an 18v can do. just has less weight and of course shorter battery life. but again well worth it. lagging an 18v around is just stupidity if you don't need it for the job.

My old, no name 24V drill gave up his battery a while ago, barely making a short use after 12 hours of charging. I got this beauty using a gift card from a well known hardware store. I was not sure what kind of drill I needed. I am the on and off weekend handyman at home and one thing that I knew is that I wanted something light yet powerful. My wrists and my neck knew quite well already how bad it is to hold a 24V beast while trying to drill accurately on a horizontal surface while keeping balance on the friggin' ladder. So, I saw this baby on the display area, I held it and noticed how incredibly light it felt. I said, this is it. Well priced, way more torque than my crappy 24V behemot and, best of all, no more sore wrists and arms afterwards. My drill come true.

I have had a DeWalt drill for some time. I really like the chuck design which makes placing a drill bit or screw driver bit easy and almost a one-handed operation. The stop when power is shut off is a nice touch as well. The rugged good looks and attractive design seem to be just right. This new drill is smaller in size but just as powerful as my last DeWalt drill. My son now has my first drill and I have the new smaller version.

So I returned my first DeWalt Drill.



Packing was horrible, the items sit loose in a plastic box with no wrapping whatsoever. The product was so banged up with scratches that I thought it was "used". But when I ordered another one it arrived the same way.



I know Dewalt is built tough, but it doesn't have to prove it by putting their products in abusive packaging. If this was for a gift, it would have been a disappointment. Who wants to receive a banged up gift?



Anyway, good product, but your bad packaging just cost you an extra "online return", however much that costs. Please upgrade your plastic case and you'll have happier customers.

This is a lot of drill for the money. It's great for quick fixes around the house. It's powerful enough to do the job but not so heavy that I get tired of holding it. Two batteries and a one hour charger mean that it's always ready to go.

I have used this drill/driver for over a year now and I hope to get another one soon. It has PLENTY of power for what I do. I have built and assembled complete kitchens with this tool and never ran out of power with two batteries. Good speed control with the trigger, convenient direction reversal buttons, and a very adjustable clutch. 12V is plenty and gives this drill a nice balance between power and size/weight. Fits into most tight spots. Don't know what I did before I bought this great powerhouse. - Dewalt - Cordless Tools - Power Tools - Cordless Drills'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • power tools
  • ,
  • cordless drills
  • ,
  • dewalt
  • ,
  • cordless tools