Thursday 25 March 2010

Impact Wrenches


I was removing the plastic bag from the tool when then head broke off the handle. The very flimsy plastic casing had a crack that went all the way around the handle at the switch and completely separated when I picked it up. Even so, it would operate, though required two hands; one holding the motor section and the other on the grip only connected by the power supply wires.



I had to test it to decide if I wanted full refund or replacement. It would not even remove a lug nut that could easily be removed with a regular lug wrench (<90 ft/lbs or force needed). It certainly wouldn't be capable of removing the crankshaft bolt (130+ ft/lbs) I had intended to use it on.



It might deliver 10% of the stated torque, but I doubt it. Neiko Heavy Duty Cordless 24-Volt 1/2-Inch Dr Impact Wrench - 350 ft-lbs - Monster Torque

So far, this impact wrench works as advertised. I've only tested it on a few wheels. The real test, brake checks and rotate&balance, is a few thousand miles away on my three vehicles. The tool has good weight to it and feels of superior construction (same for the included accessories). One thing I would have liked is a variable speed trigger. This wrench's trigger is either all or nothing. If it doesn't live up to my expectations during the "real test", I'll leave an updated post.

The torque is great, only once had to use a 4ft breaker bar, but thats the exception, removing Heavy Duty rims and tires off trucks made like a summers breeze with this Neiko tool. This is my second first was given as a gift, great service from sellers E-tools in CA as well.Fed ex lost the second package, E tools replaced it no fuss.

I was pretty amazed by the fact that how quickly it can undo pretty much any bolt/nut. Not sure if it can break a bolt. I used it to work on my truck; unbolting 19 through 24 mm bolts at various different locations. Love the portability factor as it comes in a bag. The plastic shell seems to be little weak. The first one I bought was broken into two prices; basically the top portion of the tool broke off of the handle piece due to bad shipping and handling. Awesome customer service; I received the replacement in a day or two. It doesn't seem to need much of any maintenance but if taken care of properly (i.e. No throwing/kicking around or dropping) it can last a long time.

I have only used the wrench once and that was only to try it out (test run). It did not remove the lug nuts from my old pickup truck, but then again I don't know how tight they were torqued at the garage. The wrench did however remove the lug nuts from my SUV (2003 X5) with no problem. So far I am happy with the product but have not really put it to the test yet.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Impact Wrenches Impact Wrenches Impact Wrenches