Wednesday 31 March 2010

Apple Accessories - apple, remote


Apple MC377LL/A Remote

Pros:

* I like the larger size compared to the prior Apple Remote. The new shape lets you wrap all of your fingers around the Remote while it is in use; a challenge with the smaller prior version.

* It has a very solid quality feel to it. The remote has an aluminum body.



Cons:

* The circle design is like a nano's click wheel, but there is no ability to touch scroll. :-( It is simply five buttons.

* Wish you could identify buttons more easily by feel. Apple Music System Remote Control for iPhone, iPod, DVD PlayerMusic System

The remote is beautiful in every respect except usage. Pressing buttons is hard because of the lack of tactile differentiation. The directional buttons are completely flat and they are easy to miss. For example, when trying to press the up button, you might find yourself hitting the aluminum casing instead.



That's unacceptable. There is no reason Apple can't make a remote that's tactile enough to easily differentiate among keys and easily press without looking. Actually they did, the old white Apple remote works perfectly in this regard.



Overview:



Pros:

* Aluminum enclosure is beautiful

* Very thin which is practical if you carry it with your laptop for presentations etc

* Dedicated Play button is a plus



Cons



* Buttons are flat and easy to miss when not looking.

* Ergonomically flat

* May require looking at the remote to see where you are pressing buttons (not the case with the old Apple remote)

* IR range is not as good as white Apple remote



I really wanted to like this remote and replace my older apple remotes, but the lack of tactile differentiation has forced me to switch back to the old white Apple remotes.



UPDATE (11-4-10):

There is a new aluminum remote that comes with the Apple TV 2 which features a minor redesign. The directional buttons now have some tactile differentiation, they are no longer flat which is a significant benefit over the old design. I would recommend it to anyone looking at this remote.

I bought this product to use with my Mac Mini computer. There is a learning curve, but it's amazing how much you can learn by reading the instructions! This remote works natively with iTunes. It also will advance the slides in Keynote or Powerpoint presentations. Audio volume can also be controlled remotely.



Apple MC377LL/A Remote

Love this remote. Makes it so much easier to stop and start music, adjust sound levels, and play movies. Only two downsides. Once every two weeks (or so) it stops working and I have to restart my computer for it to start working again. Not too big of a deal, but annoys when it happens. Second downside: it will not work for online video viewing, but I guess I can't ask for too much. So basically, do not expect it to work for Hulu or Netflix. Otherwise, LOVE IT!

Feels great in your hand.

Much better looking that the previous white one.

Super Thin.

Great build quality.



ONLY THING:

don't have your laptop on when you're trying to use Apple TV - controls both, very annoying.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE THAT HAS AN IMAC, MACBOOK OR MACBOOK PRO. I BOUGHT THIS FOR MY NEW MACBOOK PRO AND I LOVE IT. GREAT WHEN TRAVELING AND WATCHING MOVIES OR ACROSS THE ROOM AND WANT TO CHANGE TO THE NEXT SONG. FITS JUST PERFECT IN MY HAND. A+ APPLE!

I purchased this remote for my MacBook Pro. I was pleasantly surprised that it is sturdy and made out of the same aluminum as the MacBook. There are only three buttons on the remote so it is simple to understand and to use. The setup was incredibly easy as well. If you watch video on your Mac or MacBook, this is a great little product to have. I guess if I had to complain about one thing, I would say that it would actually be nice to have a few more features/buttons, such as captioning and backlight control.

If you're someone who had previously owned the older remote, you'll get used to this one right away. the layout is nearly the same with a few tweaks, some better than others.



Personally, I don't understand the reasoning why they made a Play/Pause button separate from the center button, since they both do the same thing (then again I don't use it for presentations, so I can't say that it is entirely useless).



The newly styled remote matches Apple's new line of aluminum built computers and as always has that beautiful and sleek design you'd expect from Apple. If you connect your mac to your tv or watch movies directly off your iMac, get this remote, since other remotes and wireless keyboards can be very bulky and/or expensive.



Bottom line, get this remote if your other one has failed or if you want to match your remote with your newer model mac.

I use this a lot but it is mostly just for fun. I barely ever am far away from my computer, and if I am, I have to look for this remote. Also, all it can do is launch Front Row, navigate Front Row, skip a little, and pause and play the media. It probably isn't worth 20 dollars.

This is a great product. I don't like how ' has stopped including it with new computer purchases, but it is a great device. The design is very sleek and simple, with a pleasant contour to your hand. It feels very well built and durable.



Not only does it work with Front Row - which essentially is an AppleTV style menu that browses through all of your iTunes media, photographs, and allow you to watch current movie trailers - but it works with other programs as well. I got this in conjunction with an HDMI cable to hook up my MBP to my TV - and I can put on a movie in VLC (media player) and the remote is able to play/pause, fast-forward, rewind, adjust volume, and switch in and out of full screen mode.



Can't really say anything bad about this product. It's a very handy product, the price is reasonable (although it SHOULD be included with a Mac!), and it does even more than I expected it to. - Apple - Apple Accessories - Mac - Remote'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information