Sunday 27 March 2011

Bluetooth Usb Adapter - bluetooth, usb


This was a little tough to properly install in Windows 7 to get all services working.

My first attempt was to let Windows 7 install the drivers. I ended up with one unknown hardware item that I could not find a driver for. My second attempt was to use the software that came with the module, which is for Vista and XP, and again could not get everything to work. I even tried running the installer in Vista compatibilty mode and it crashed.

Prior to using the procedure below I uninstalled the Bluetooth software and the bluetooth driver packages (somehow I ended up with 3) from Control Panel and I was then able to fully install using the procedure below.

This unit uses a Broadcom chip and Widcomm software. The method I used to install in Windows 7 is as follows.

1. Download Broadcom's Widcomm software utiltiy from [...].

2. Plug in the micro bluetooth module into the usb port you wish to use.

3. Windows will begin to install drivers.

4. Click on the balloon pop-up to open the Installing Drivers window.

5. At the bottom of this window, click Do Not Check Windows Update option.

6. Launch the Broadcom Widcomm software that you downloaded in step 1. This utility will verify your module, download the proper drivers and software, and install. No unknown hardware and I can connect and transfer files both ways from multipe devices.

Finally! Belkin Mini Bluetooth Laptop Adapter

I purchased the Belkin Mini blue tooth adapter and installed it with Toshiba's blue tooth stack 64-bit software. Doing this, it works great with Windows 7 and Toshiba's Blue tooth software pairs ups devices easier than any other software I have used. You can download the Toshiba blue tooth stack 32 or 64-bit software at their website for free...or just goggle it and get it from another source.

This is the smallest bluetooth adapter that I could find in the market. This small guy is rated for 30 feet range, which is good for a bedroom or small office, while it's larger counterpart is good for 100 feet within a house (Belkin USB bluetooth adapter F8T012-1). However, I have found that these bluetooth adapters need to be in direct eye view without obstructions to my laptop, so the 100 feet might not be necessary after all. This mini size is great so that I don't snap it off when it protrudes out of my Canon printer, but I found that it is not compatible with my system since it was the newer Bluetooth version v2.1. I was using a Mac laptop and Canon printer Pixma MP610 which needed v2.0 +EDR and USB 2.0, so I needed something with backward-compatibility with Bluetooth v1.1-, 1.2- and 2.0-compliant devices. Fortunately, Amazon accepted my return with no problems and I ended up buying the tried-and-true version, Belkin USB bluetooth adapter F8T012-1. This did not end up being a equivalent replacement for Canon BU-20 bluetooth adapter (designed for my printer) or the tried-and-true Belkin F8T012-1, but maybe it will work for other devices or set ups.

Belkin should be ashamed of themselves. Here is a fairly well known company that goes out of its way of to skimp on customer service via phone. The website is just as useless. I couldn't get my windows 7 computer to recognize the adapter (probably a driver issue.) After 3 frustrating days, I gave up, accepted my $14 loss and bought an iogear adapter, not the best customer service but at least they had some, and I was able to get my iogear adapter working. If you're thinking of buying a compact bluetooth adapter go for the iogear first.

I installed the device without a problem and initially paired with my cell phone just fine. However, once the connection was gone, I could not reconnect. After deleting everything and starting from scratch, the cell phone keeps requesting a passkey for the computer connection but no matter what I try, I cannot connect. I've tried installing the drivers from the included software, downloading drivers from Belkin, and letting Vista auto-install drivers. No method worked. No matter how many times I run the software and generate a new passkey, I cannot reconnect the phone to the computer. Connecting the phone and computer is the one and only reason I purchased the product. To test if the problem was with the phone or the device, I tried pairing a bluetooth headset with the device (computer) and could not even get the device to detect the headset. I spent four and half hours trying everything I could, including reading the user manual, suggested fixes from Microsoft, suggestions from Blekin, and suggestions from RIM for blackberry pairing. In the end, what I got for my time was a wasted afternoon. I don't know what the problem is, but for me this little thing is just not going to work and clearly not worth the time or money. I would not recommend to anyone. Hopefully I can get my money back.



UPDATE: No word yet from the seller on a refund. However, I was able to work with Belkin and get the device reinstalled. The problem is the device will not recognize any bluetooth devices in range, so I cannot pair with my headset. I was able to pair with my phone from the phone but cannot transfer any files thus making the connection useless. The device works perfectly fine on my desktop running XP. Unfortunately, for me I purchased the device for my laptop running Vista. My opinion is that the device is NOT compatible with Vista, despite the listing claiming that it is. Do not purchase if you are running Vista. I'm giving the device 2 stars because it will work with XP and I would be willing to consider this another Vista problem but for the fact that Microsoft did not claim that this device was compatible with Vista (the seller and manufacturer did that). If you want a device to connect for the sake of connecting or for a Bluetooth dial up internet connection, then this is fine for Vista. If you want to do ANYTHING else over Bluetooth connection, purchase another device.



FINAL VERDICT: I did hear from the seller and believe the seller has done everything it reasonably could do. Belkin technical support was not helpful in getting the device to actually work. I purchased a different device in store and found it used the same Bluetooth Stack. That manufacturer (Rocketfish) was much more helpful. The agent explained that the WIDCOMM stack was not fully compatible with Vista with SP1 or SP2 and told me to get a refund and buy a different device. As I originally suspected this is yet another Vista issue. I could not get the Toshiba stack to detect this adapter so will need to purchase an adapter that does not use the WIDCOMM stack and hope for the best. I do not recommend the product for anyone running Vista (since you probably installed a service pack without even realizing it) but do recommend doing business with the seller. - Usb - Bluetooth Usb - Bluetooth Dongle - Bluetooth'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information