Tuesday 29 March 2011

Microsoft Keyboard - wireless keyboard and mouse, wireless keyboard


This review is for the keyboard only, as I use a different mouse than the one that came with the set.



A keyboard is a keyboard. The distance between keys isn't a huge deal, the size of the keys is what allows you to tell the difference. While the F-keys are ubiquitous, there is no issue with pressing the wrong key as long as you are remotely familiar with the keyboard layout. The only real issue that I have with the keyboard is that the top row of keys is set lower than the rest of the keys, which makes it difficult to find the buttons that you want at times. Keys type quietly and have a soft feel to them that is pleasant to work with. No real complaints about this keyboard. Microsoft Wireless Desktop 800 Keyboard and Mouse Combo

First, a summary: This is a solid wireless desktop, and works great for 'couch gaming' with a big screen and a 'lapdesk' (I use the Belkin CushDesk). IMO, it works amazingly well considering its price! I have tried many sets that develop keyboard lag during a session, or 'lose signal' after time or distance and require a reset. This one runs for hours without issue. It also seems to have more than the advertised 10-foot range (Microsoft probably advertises the shorter distance on the box because it's their bottom-end product, and they don't want to compete with their higher end stuff - probably the same RF gear in all of them). On top of that, it looks nice, with a black piano finish.





Keyboard details: The keyboard supports at least 4 simultaneous keypresses at once, and usually more, depending which keys you press. 4 keys is plenty - I have no issues in 'WADS-style' FPS's. In my keypress test, it often bested my old school PS/2 keyboard!



This keyboard has what I'll call a 'compressed standard' layout. This means the space between the key 'banks' has been removed - all the usually separated key groups are smashed together. I thought this would suck, but it turns out to work OK. All the punctuation keys are in the right place both in the main bank and the 'side banks', and at least within each bank the keys are properly spaced relative to each other. The layout and relative placement being 'standard' is a big plus for gaming, and the 'interior space removal' is not a big deal. The compressed layout is a good thing for a cramped working area or a lapdesk, but why didn't they trim more size around the outer edge? A wasted opportunity to give it an even smaller footprint.



Because they didn't change the main keyboard bank, it works fine for touch typing, as long as you don't move from the main key bank to the keypad or arrow keys too much. I noticed as I typed this review that I have been frequently hitting '0' on the numeric keypad when I mean to hit the right arrow, because the secondary banks are left-shifted. I don't notice that while gaming. So, I wouldn't use this to write a novel.



As a previous reviewer stated, all the F-keys have been placed into one evenly spaced row at the top, which is quite unfortunate. I don't understand why, they seem to have gained nothing from this. The F-keys are supposed to be grouped in banks of 4, and the uniform placement is indeed annoying in-game when trying to hit F9 to quick-save.



On the plus side, the keyboard is lightweight, and FLAT, which are both great things for lapdesk use. When you have the legs folded in, there are nice gummy rubber feet that hold it in place well. On the desk, with the feet opened, it is at a good angle and doesn't move around. Nice design. There are only a few annoying extra 'multimedia keys', and they don't make the keyboard larger, which is good. Maybe someday I'll try pressing one to see if they work (not that I'll care). The keyboard uses two AAA batteries, which last a long time. I use alkalines.





Now the Mouse: The mouse doesn't impress me as much as the keyboard, but it's works OK. It doesn't have the snappy resolution or great shape of my Logitech MX518, but I didn't expect that. It's passable - this mouse probably does lose me some precision in games, but when I'm couch gaming I'm less competitive.



The buttons click fine (a bit loud) and the wheel works well as a middle button, but the scroll wheel itself is a bit too loose for gaming use (weak 'resistance notches' compared to the tighter MX518). It also doesn't have the 'back/forward' side buttons I've become accustomed to, but I don't use them while gaming.

The plastic used on its top surface is chintzy and does makes it feel like a cheap toy (the keyboard keys have this same feel, which could bother some people).



One nice touch is the storage for the USB transmitter included on the bottom of the mouse. Always a good feature for travel. And while I would have preferred an auto-off, the switch is better for travel, as motion causes auto-off mice to stay on which kills the batteries. The mouse requires two AA batteries, which give it a good heft. I use NiMH rechargables since mice eat batteries.





Overall this is a great desktop for lightweight couch gaming on a tight budget (maybe any budget - expensive desktops seem to all have weird grossly oversized keyboards, which are pointless and bad for lapdesk use - one example is the bloated and totally non-standard Logitech Wave). I took a star off due to the brainless F-key layout, and the cheap feel of the keys and mouse. - Wireless Mouse - Wireless Keyboard And Mouse - Wireless Desktop - Wireless Keyboard'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information