Tuesday 29 March 2011

Hardware - hardware, rotary tool accessories


I got this bit to cut/route some simple shapes for a bracket from a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal. It says it will cut through hardened steel etc. but it is not good for that at all. It will only be effective with very thin or soft metals. If it has such a difficult time with plain sheet metal I can't see how it could work at all for hardened steel. It will NOT work with a drill press as one reviewer suggests as it has no point and is not made to plunge. It needs to cut from an edge or through a drilled hole. Also it is a 1/8 shank so it did not fit my new trio model though I expect there may be an adapter available my local store did not carry one. It would probably be OK cutting through thin or soft metal. In comparison an EZ 406 cutoff wheel was not great but several times better at cutting the same metal than this bit. I am actually changing the material to some .063 inch 6061 aluminum to see if either of my dremel tools will cut well enough with the softer metal. So just don't expect this to cut through any hard or thick metal, it is for light duty only. Dremel 9901 Tungsten Carbide Cutter

I got this to cut through 12 gauge steel. It only made a dent in the steel before it broke. It also "chattered" which is probably due to the coarse cutting grooves. I switched to a cheap diamond cutter and although it was slow, it did the job.

I don't have a Dremel, but I thought this bit may work with my variable speed drill. It does. It does not cut quickly, but it does cut. The slow cutting allows precise and controlled cutting of a small aluminum part I was making. I frist drilled holes into the aluminum and then use this cutter to finish up the cut. Then I use a small file to remove what little is remaining. If I have a drill press, this part may work with that too. - Rotary Tool Accessories - Hardware'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


    ,
  • hardware
  • ,
  • rotary tool accessories