Tuesday 29 March 2011

Camera Batteries - camera batteries, canon


Nothing complicated here: An actual Canon battery at a very good price. This sound ordinary, but it's not. We've had a previous experience where an Amazon merchant showed an original equipment battery at a bargain price, but shipped a replacement brand. This is not the case here. Only thing wrong is the applicability listing. We have a Canon S90, which uses this battery -- but it's not listed. Bottom line: Great deal. Canon NB-6L Li-Ion Battery Pack for Canon SD770IS, SD1200IS, & D10 Digital Cameras

Bought three of these batteries for a 23 day backpacking trip in the high Sierras. They lasted longer than the trip without limiting the number of photos I wanted to take. Alternatively, talked to another backpacker who bought generic batteries for the same camera and his three batteries lasted less than 2 weeks.

This NB-6L type battery (provided by cables4U) looks identical to a Canon battery, includes the Canon logo-label, and seems to work properly, but unfortunately, it arrived in a plastic bag with no other packaging. The Canon website indicates that any battery that is not packaged with the Canon hologram should be considered counterfeit. I suspect that may be the case with this item.

This not an authentic Canon battery, despite the packaging's efforts to look like the real thing.



My local Canon distributor was also of the opinion that it's counterfeit.



Obvious differences between this product and authentic:

- Corners are sharp/pointed; Authentic are rounded

- Finish is poor with gaps visible between the end cap and main section of the batter; Authentic is high quality with no gaps.

- Labelling looks different.

- States it is made in Japan; Authentic are mad



It was obvious from the moment that I opened the package that something was up. I've had over 10 different Canon cameras over the years, and never before have I seen batteries with this poor quality finish.



I've photos of both for comparision too; if I can post them somewhere I will!

I bought this battery as a second battery for my Canon Powershot S95. It works just like the original that came with the camera, which is mediocre battery life. I got less than 200 shots, my photography included mixed outside and inside shots using flash. I would have given this battery 5 stars, but because it was not exactly like the battery that came with my camera the label is attached differently so the edges are loose and gets snagged when I try to put the protective cap on it. I have also purchased a third party battery and so far that battery's performance is the same as the genuine Canon battery, but at a fraction of the price.

I bought this and a Maximal Power clone battery for my Canon S95. The Canon battery came from iOttie, fulfilled by Amazon. It appeared to have an authentic Canon battery package. The Canon battery was made in Japan (marked "WF-7A"); the original that came with my S95 was made in China, marked "UJYF 2010.10".



Given concerns about quality and counterfeits I tested all 3 batteries. Lacking a dedicated test suite, I tested by charging the batteries, then turning on the camera with display on max brightness and seeing how long until the camera shut down. I had to push the "menu" button every couple of minutes to keep the display lit. Not a scientific test but adequate for my purposes. Results:



BATTERY / RUN TIME / % CAPACITY / COMMENTS

Original battery / 113 min / 100% / Made in China UJYF 2010.10

Maximal Power / 90 min / 80% / Sold/shipped by Amazon

Canon replacement / 82 min / 73% / Sold by iOttie fulfilled by Amazon WF-7A



I had no problems with fit on the Maximal Power battery as has been mentioned in reviews for that battery. It is slightly thicker than either of the Canon batteries.



CONCLUSIONS:



1. Given the big variance between the original battery and the Canon replacement, I have to wonder if it is authentic. It looks authentic but I didn't keep the packaging so I can't check it after-the-fact.



2. The maximal power battery - though not as good as the original - is under 1/4 the price and does better than the "official" replacement battery.



3. I really don't know how to tell people to get a true Canon product unless you go to a Brick and Mortar store to verify the packaging and markings on the battery.

Buyer beware. The listed DEALER cost on a genuine Canon NB-6L battery is $39.00. Now, it's possible that a volume reseller would pay a tad less, but B&H -- who cannot stay in business selling fakes and who, presumably, buys this kind of stuff in quantity -- sells the item for exactly $39.95... and I would hazard a guess that they're only making a couple of bucks on each one sold. The Chinese knock off stuff like this by the bazillions, and they're getting very good at it. You've been warned. - Camera Batteries - Canon - Camera Battery - Battery'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information