Saturday 26 March 2011

Xm Radio Car Kit - xm radio, satellite radio


(UPDATED) This kit comes with 2 methods to connect to your car stereo: 1) using an AUX jack or 2) using the PowerConnect feature (FM transmitter) built in to the XMp3i player itself.



After receiving the XMp3i for my birthday, I ordered the car kit so I could enjoy satellite radio in my vehicle (2002 Chevrolet Trailblazer). The cable for the antenna is nice and long, so you can run it from your dash, all the way to the top/rear of the car, with a little leftover. All of the cables plug into the dock, so you can remove your XMp3i and hide it or take it with you without any hassle. It comes with a remote control, which I thought was silly at first, but after using it, I realized that it's much easier to use the remote when driving, than to use the buttons on the player. As long as you position the antenna like the instructions describe, the reception is just as good as a factory installed XM radio (I've had both).



It comes with two mounting methods (dashboard mount or clips for your air conditioning vent). If you use the adhesive dashboard mount, make sure you know exactly where you want it, since it only comes supplied with a single adhesive strip. Otherwise, you'll have to go buy some of those super-adhesive foam strips made by 3M. Certainly not a deal-killer, but a little annoying.



Overall, the car kit from XM was easy to install. Now I can listen to satellite radio on those long road trips! Hooray! AudioVox XM XAPV2 PowerConnect Vehicle Kit for the XMp3i

I am not the most mechanically-inclined indivdual on the planet, so the idea of installing an external antenna on the roof of my car and running a wire through the trunk to the dash was a little intimidating. However, the installation kit has everything you need to get the job done and its instructions were easy to follow. It only took me 15 minutes to get everything properly connected. I was very pleased with the end result. The sound quality from the PowerConnect FM transmitter was better than expected. It's so nice to have Live XM programming in my vehicle with absolutely no interruptions. In fact, I still had a reliable signal even when going under a large freeway overpass.



There is one gripe I have with this device, however. It requires that you run power to the dock at all times, even if your XMp3i is already fully charged. I tried running it without the power adapter connected and the XMp3i would not work very consistently. You'll probably want to invest in a 12-volt socket splitter if you run multiple devices (cell phone charger, GPS, etc.) on a frequent basis. Without a constant power source to the dock, you'll find it challenging to keep the XM receiver working. This is a minor complaint, but I don't understand why a fully-charged unit is not allowed to run off its own battery power.



The easy installation and included remote control make this kit well worth the price. Having the ability to take an XMp3i on the road now adds even more value to my Sirius/XM subscription.

Installed this to replace an XpressRC kit. The mounting holes matched up, as did the antenna plug, so swapping out was simple stuff... Everything included you could want, stick on mount, screw on, and a/c vent mount. Even has a remote so the kids in the back seat can control the radio and drive you crazy. The units best feature is the power connect. It transmits the FM signal through the vehicle power system, which ultimately ends up transmitting INSIDE you in dash FM receiver, and provides great signal strength. Much better than the previous clip on the antenna kit. Works well, and is simple to install with a great quick install guide.

Lighter power adapter is NOT universal. The cigarette lighter adapter that comes in this PowerConnect kit for the XMp3 doesn't work in my year 2000 BMW 3-series. It is too short and the shape is too thick. Other adapters I've had are tapered and longer. When I emailed XM 'Tech Support' - their only suggestion was to buy more equipment and see if anything else worked. XM user support has gotten awful.

I mounted my XM radio during the winter and it stayed put fine until this spring's first 85 degree day and it fell off. I bought and mounted a new kit and it lasted only two 80 degree days. I've since bought a mounting kit from Pro Clip and it seems secure. Time will tell.

When I purchased a replacement SiriusXM receiver, I went for the portable one to provide versatility. I was still going to use it in the car so this kit is just what I needed.



It is as described, and comes with an extra remote so I can leave the one in the house there. The only part I didn't like was how they modified the mounting kit, which now has an extended piece that positions it away from the dash another 1.5". In theory it may seem better, but it makes it sit too far out from the dash and more noticeable as an extra, removable item, than almost flush with the existing radio like the former design.



Other than that, it's excellent!

Purchased a new car and it didn't have the option for XM on it. I looked through the offerings at the local BestBuy and decided I would try the portable XMp3i instead of the vehicle mounted options. I thought it would get more usage being able to move it around. I should have realized hat I was going to be using this nearly every time I was in the car and picked a vehicle mount one. This kits was a requirement for me as I needed it to get signal inside my car. This kit works amazingly well and was easy to instal and use. I have to recommend this to every one who wants to use the XMp3i in a car. The included home kit also works well at home and was another easy setup but this isn't a review for that product so I will just stick with the car kit here.

I have been using it for about a year. It works and does what you need it to do. What more can I say? I would recommend getting one for each vehicle that you use your XM in. It's kind of a pain to have to move this from car to car. Plus, I'm lazy! So there you go! Another thing, if you don't have an "AUX" input on your car stereo, you might want to consider digging out one of those old cassette adapters that you've thrown into the junk box in your basement. It is much easier than using the FM modulator IMO. - Xm Radio - Satellite Radio - Portable - Xm Radio Car Kit'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information